Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2014, 11:06 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,580,588 times

Advertisements

Somebody should move those houses in McKeesport to parts of the city for infill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2014, 11:43 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i dont understand what you are saying - the only neighborhood to have population growth in the last decade voted for the republican candidate...so?

the street linked with "Theres a few streets that look like Lincoln Place" is PERFECT. i would live there.
My point is McMansions tend to be correlated with Republican voters, not that population growth is. It's a little chunk of exurbia right inside the city.

Old 02-26-2014, 11:45 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
My point is McMansions tend to be correlated with Republican voters, not that population growth is. It's a little chunk of exurbia right inside the city.
What school do these McMansions feed into? How do the housing values compare to equivalent exurban McMansions in actual exurban municipalities? (Southern Butler County, Peters, etc.)

Old 02-26-2014, 11:52 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,534,379 times
They feed to Mifflin and Allderdice. I thing they are priced less than McMansions in the better burbs. This based on the sales price of homes listed on the County Web Site.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:01 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,042,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
What school do these McMansions feed into? How do the housing values compare to equivalent exurban McMansions in actual exurban municipalities? (Southern Butler County, Peters, etc.)
They go to Mifflin K-8, which was historically seen as a better-than-average city school, but might not have as much cache since Glen Hazel and the southern half of Hazelwood now go there. Ultimately the area feeds into Allderdice, which of course is still a major draw.

This appears to be the only information about the development online. Most of the houses actually only sold for around $50,000 when first built, but I wonder if the homeowners actually just bought the land and then got a separate mortgage to "custom build" the houses. One did sell recently for $350,000. The houses are assessed between $300K and $400K.

Old 02-26-2014, 12:25 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,828,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
They go to Mifflin K-8, which was historically seen as a better-than-average city school, but might not have as much cache since Glen Hazel and the southern half of Hazelwood now go there. Ultimately the area feeds into Allderdice, which of course is still a major draw.

This appears to be the only information about the development online. Most of the houses actually only sold for around $50,000 when first built, but I wonder if the homeowners actually just bought the land and then got a separate mortgage to "custom build" the houses. One did sell recently for $350,000. The houses are assessed between $300K and $400K.
I always found it strange how "secretive" this development seemed to be. No press whatsoever.

Another "McMansion-ish" development that always surprised me was Oak Brook Circle in Westwood... I imagine it was built a few years earlier.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=westw...68.58,,0,-3.81

Old 02-26-2014, 01:00 PM

310 posts, read 371,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uptown kid View Post
Here's a quick one… Bon Air
Bon Air is near Knoxville, Beltzhoover and Northern Carrick, but has no signs of spill over or decline. It doesnt really have blight or notable white poverty like Arlington, Mt. Oliver Boro, or Allentown. Moreover, its a fine neighborhood in the midst of a very gritty part of town.

Very true. Great access to the T and you dont get the rundown of Carrick, Mt Oliver or Arlington. I'd move to Bon Air if i could find an apt there.

Old 02-26-2014, 01:53 PM

1,860 posts, read 2,580,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
They feed to Mifflin and Allderdice. I thing they are priced less than McMansions in the better burbs. This based on the sales price of homes listed on the County Web Site.
they are a good deal smaller than a true McMansion as well.

Old 02-26-2014, 03:13 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,188,061 times
Since the thread is branching outside of the city, I'd be remiss not to mention Crafton. Granted I live here but I feel it is largely unknown in the Pittsburgh region, outside of this forum (we are represented well here). We have quiet, safe, tree-lined streets with a wealth of architectural diversity and beauty in our housing stock. Traffic is minimal and we sit in a prime location with easy access to all points including downtown and the airport (via car or the busway). The school district is decent (and improving) and the town elementary school is excellent. The biggest knock on Crafton is the lack of a real business district. While we do lack a CBD, we do have a number of useful businesses in the town center and abundant shopping on the outskirts. Home values have been steadily and rapidly rising here which may indicate that we are finally being "discovered" as a great place to live and a tremendous value.

If I had to pick a city neighborhood in which to compare Crafton to, I'd probably say we are a decent mix of Highland Park and Morningside.

Old 02-27-2014, 05:31 AM

6,358 posts, read 5,058,732 times
^^ i do like crafton a lot. the crafton/ingram shopping center has EVERYTHING you could want in one trip, pretty much. that chinese restaurant sucks, but the subway next to it is, in my two experiences there, EXCELLENT. i bet the kids working there are in theater or something. they are just so lively and friendly (its fake, but still...)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh