Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 10:26 AM

5 posts, read 5,466 times

Advertisements

hello friends ,

I am relocating to Pittsburgh from Virginia in about a months time due to my job change. I have twin daughters who are in 2nd grade and I am looking at finding a 3 bedroom rental in a good school district in Pittsburgh. Have heard a lot about the North Allegheny school district but not sure if the elementary schools are the best there.

Few other considerations is that I need public commute to downtown where I will be working so please suggest a place that has some public transportation

Currently the place where I am is surrounded by Indians so to manage this change for kids would love to have some indian neighborhood too.

Thanks in advance and look forward to some advice as I am thoroughly confused right now !!!

Regards
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 10:51 AM

912 posts, read 1,733,253 times
What is your budget?

North Allegheny schools are great. I'd also look for something in Mt. Lebanon because you could take the T (light rail) into Downtown.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:30 AM

697 posts, read 778,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NehaRuia View Post
hello friends ,

I am relocating to Pittsburgh from Virginia in about a months time due to my job change. I have twin daughters who are in 2nd grade and I am looking at finding a 3 bedroom rental in a good school district in Pittsburgh. Have heard a lot about the North Allegheny school district but not sure if the elementary schools are the best there.

Few other considerations is that I need public commute to downtown where I will be working so please suggest a place that has some public transportation

Currently the place where I am is surrounded by Indians so to manage this change for kids would love to have some indian neighborhood too.

Thanks in advance and look forward to some advice as I am thoroughly confused right now !!!

Regards
This organization may be able to provide some information to you...
ImaginePittsburgh.com : Explore : Vibrant Pittsburgh

Mount Lebanon may be a good fit in terms of diversity and public transportation

Old 02-24-2015, 11:42 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
TBOMK, there is no "Little India" in the Pittsburgh area. There is a temple in Penn Hills but no real concentration of Indian families. There are only about 14,000 in the Metro and they're spread out, so odds are you won't be able to meet that requirement, except by luck.

There isn't a large inventory of 3BR apartments as housing has historically been relatively cheap. Rentals will typically be older homes, regardless of where you look.

As to the suggest of Mt. Lebanon, it's a nice town, but you'll probably get more for your money in Bethel Park, with the same access to the T. However, there will be limited inventory and you'll be looking at $1,200-1,500 or thereabouts.

I'm not wildly enthusiastic about bus transit downtown from areas outside the city boundaries, but if someone wants to promote a neighborhood not on the T line, have at it.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:45 AM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
The Greentree area also has a relatively significant Indian population and would be an easy place to find a rental.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:50 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
TBOMK, there is no "Little India" in the Pittsburgh area. There is a temple in Penn Hills but no real concentration of Indian families. There are only about 14,000 in the Metro and they're spread out, so odds are you won't be able to meet that requirement, except by luck.
Not true. There's a set of apartment complexes off of Greentree Road in Scott Township (Carriage Park Apartments) which are majority (if not overwhelmingly) Indian.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:02 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
carriage park apartments in Scott Twp. They also have town houses. It is in the charters valley school district, it is a very good district and improving. The district announced they are building a new middle and high school soon.

Old 02-24-2015, 12:21 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Not true. There's a set of apartment complexes off of Greentree Road in Scott Township (Carriage Park Apartments) which are majority (if not overwhelmingly) Indian.
Well, color me bad in that case.

It is a huge complex. But is it really a "neighborhood"?

Old 02-24-2015, 12:29 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Well, color me bad in that case.

It is a huge complex. But is it really a "neighborhood"?
I think when you count the families in Greentree, my lebo, Scott Twp, Carnegie, and city of Pittsburgh that all meet in that area, yes it is.

Old 02-24-2015, 01:26 PM

5 posts, read 5,466 times
Thanks all. My budget is around 1500-2000 per month . But for me a good school district and public transit to downtown is of upmost importance
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh