Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 08:20 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times

Advertisements

I noticed trash in my yard today. The snow melted and it's all there. The neighbor's garbage blows into our yard on trash day. My husband doesn't patrol the yard as much in the winter, but he's out there daily the rest of the year. There's also over 10 balls--basketballs, footballs, baseballs. They come from the other neighbor's yard. I made a mental note to suggest to their mother for them to come down quarterly to retrieve their balls. Just imagine how many balls they must own to not miss these, but I don't like throwing their balls away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2014, 08:23 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
I noticed trash in my yard today. The snow melted and it's all there. The neighbor's garbage blows into our yard on trash day. My husband doesn't patrol the yard as much in the winter, but he's out there daily the rest of the year. There's also over 10 balls--basketballs, footballs, baseballs. They come from the other neighbor's yard. I made a mental note to suggest to their mother for them to come down quarterly to retrieve their balls. Just imagine how many balls they must own to not miss these, but I don't like throwing their balls away.
Sounds like you got your neighbors by the balls.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:27 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Just imagine how many balls...
So many jokes. So little time.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:40 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,259 times
I skied at Snowshoe, WV last weekend, and on Saturday, underneath the lifts was green. There's always beer cans and crap under lifts, but this time the amount was staggering. A patroller spent about an hour walking down the Western Territory liftline and traversed out after maybe 1000 feet with a garbage bag full of cans. There was at least 10x times that much garbage to collect. It was horrible.

You'd never see this in the west. Nor new England. It's not great at the Pittsburghers dominated Seven Springs, but compared to Snowshoe last weekend, its a helluva lot better. I don't even know the questions or answers, but there's a disturbing disregard of throwing junk around in this part of the world. I've no idea if Pittsburgh is better/worse, but that's not the point.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:46 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Sounds like you got your neighbors by the balls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So many jokes. So little time.
Thanks for the laughs guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I skied at Snowshoe, WV last weekend, and on Saturday, underneath the lifts was green. There's always beer cans and crap under lifts, but this time the amount was staggering.
They're drinking beer on the lifts at Snowshoe?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:48 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
To be fair, though, once in a blue moon littering may occur accidentally. The other day I opened my car door to retrieve something, and a sudden gust of wind (what's with all this wind lately, anyways?!) picked up an empty plastic bag from my backseat and carried it outside. I futilely ran after it, jumping at it, but, alas, it flew away out of my grasp to Lord only knows where (maybe Hopes's backyard?!) The same thing could be said for a little kid who accidentally lets go of his or her balloon or a hiker whose water bottle slips and falls down a ravine when they trip and fall on a rut in a trail.

Old 04-01-2014, 08:52 PM

1,947 posts, read 2,244,259 times
Quote:
They're drinking beer on the lifts at Snowshoe?
Nuffin wrong with the drinking. But there is with the littering ....

Old 04-01-2014, 11:46 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
As someone who rides around on a bike, I can tell you that the garbage companies themselves might be the worst offenders. Their trucks spew litter as they drive down the road. I am not sure why the ones in this region do that and in other regions they don't?? Odd. Then you have the empty pickup truck drivers that throw crap in the back of their beds thinking it isn't litter if it blows out. I see that ALL the time. Of course the lowlifes in the East Liberty/Larimar/Penn Hills areas just heave their crap out the windows of their cars. I just laugh at it all at this point. A song title comes to mind. "Waiting on the World to Change". In our case it is waiting on our residents to change, but that is fine.

Old 04-02-2014, 02:15 AM

15,216 posts, read 30,563,119 times
Based on my observations from being around various parts of the city, I'd say there could be more trash bins. But that's not the entire problem.

Pgh is a nice city. People ought to keep it that way.

Old 04-02-2014, 06:11 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
I think with the heavy snow this year, littering will be a bigger problem than usual in many cities. It seems like in many parking lots you can tell where there was a snow pile because of an unusual amount of litter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh