Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 03:02 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
typical from an internet forum. No Cranberry isn't the most interesting place, but its good for raising a family having shopping close by, easy access to the city, good place for professionals.

Most people that want a community with a soul also neglect that it most likely will have crime, crappy schools, drugs, old dilapidated housing, depreciating housing, basically a ghetto, but its close all the "exciting" things a downtown offers therefore it has a soul and great to raise a family, now all it needs is a monorail and its perfect!

Places that have nice old charm to them in Pitt are Sewickly, Squirrell hill, Shady Side, Mt Lebo, Fox CHapel. Now most of those places are $$$$ and have high taxes but you want a safe friendly place with a soul that's about it.
Bingo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2014, 07:51 PM

62 posts, read 98,986 times
Remember that the prices quoted on new home sites are likely bare bones home without any upgrades or modifications. You get the lower grade flooring/carpet, unfinished basements, basic cabinets and counters, etc. Once you start adding int he upgrades, you can easily bring the cost upwards to $300k. At the $250 K price range, I would look at 10-15 year old homes that the owners have already invested in upgrades.

Generally, the countryside is beautiful where Wilson's Ridge is, but it is quite away from things in relation to the other places. I would probably chose Old Hickory Highlands over Wilson Highlands due to location, however Hickory Highlands cost is on par with Marshall Woods. The nice thing with Marshall woods is that it is close to North Boundary Park (and there is a sidewalk to get you there) as well as the Cranberry Twp YMCA (which is a really nice one).

I would also look at Zelienople. It's walkable (unlike Cranberry Twp). It's a cool town that seems to be heading in the right direction (a new microbrewery, Burghers, and Harmony nearby to name a few of many things I like about the town). It's also a lot closer to Seneca Valley Middle and High School (if you have kids).

Last edited by analog808; 04-17-2014 at 08:04 PM..

Old 07-19-2014, 07:44 AM

3 posts, read 2,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
From what I've read on this forum, you should be careful. Either make sure you don't have a soul before moving to Cranberry, or be prepared to have it leave you, because I've read that Cranberry is soulless.
I grew up in cranberry Twp, and I can assure everyone that I do in fact, have a soul.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:46 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Cranberry, Zelienople, and Evans City are the same with all of the growth north. No difference except for driving distances. The same type of people and same school district. Everyone shops and takes their families to the same places. The "small" towns have done a 180 in the last 10 years. Most natives have either died or moved away so Zelie and Evans City are full of the relocated Northern suburb hipster residents. They both try to keep up the small town label but it is a façade. It is city trendy.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by analog808 View Post
a new microbrewery
That statement is cringe worthy. I miss places like the Kaufman House and Chubby Chucks.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:52 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
That statement is cringe worthy. I miss places like the Kaufman House and Chubby Chucks.
Huh? What do you have against micro-breweries?

Old 07-19-2014, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Huh? What do you have against micro-breweries?
Too hipster for me. I prefer Mom & Pops. They have way more character. Unfortunately, Pittsburgh is slowly destroying the very thing that made the city special in order to keep up with the Joneses (other well known cities).

Old 07-19-2014, 09:02 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Cranberry, Zelienople, and Evans City are the same with all of the growth north. No difference except for driving distances. The same type of people and same school district. Everyone shops and takes their families to the same places. The "small" towns have done a 180 in the last 10 years. Most natives have either died or moved away so Zelie and Evans City are full of the relocated Northern suburb hipster residents. They both try to keep up the small town label but it is a façade. It is city trendy.

Is that an oxymoron?

Old 07-19-2014, 09:02 AM

1,445 posts, read 1,972,811 times
Microbreweries are almost all locally owned Mom & Pop run enterprises.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:03 AM

22,592 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Too hipster for me. I prefer Mom & Pops.
Microbreweries - at the least ones we have been to - ARE Mom & Pops. Or at least a couple of hometown guys having fun brewing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh