Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 05:34 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maast View Post
Well, I will be leaving Pittsburgh for good in a few days as I graduate from university. I wanted to give my final impressions of the city as I leave and head back to NJ. Things I liked and things I didn't like.

Things I liked:
  • The many views of the city Agreed
  • The bridges Agreed
  • Oakland is a pleasant neighborhood Mostly agreed. South Oakland could be cleaned up a little
  • Kebab places Agreed
  • Some of the museums Agreed
  • Not many rednecks seemingly Agreed, but leave Allegheny County and/or the exburbs in surrounding counties and you'll find plenty.
  • Nice churches and a diversity of churches (e.g. Eastern Orthodox) Agree. Pittsburgh has some very cool churches you won't find in other cities.
  • City seems to be pretty tolerant to other races and religions. Agreed
  • City is growing and developing continuously, hi-tech is increasing. Agreed

Things I didn't like:
  • The transportation system Agreed
  • Not a lot of diversity (e.g. very few latinos) If you're just looking at skin color, sure, but if you look at the different ethnicities of whites in the area, Pittsburgh easily has one of the most diverse White populations in the country.
  • Food in general is so-so Disagree, besides leaving back fresh sea food when I go to the beach, I've never dreaded coming home to Pittsburgh food. The food scene here is improving quickly too.
  • Downtown is pretty dead, not much to do This has become less of a problem over the past few years.
  • Airport is declining and expensive to fly from Agreed
  • Not very good food selection in the supermarkets - never liked Giant Eagle Disagree
  • Can't get a decent bagel or pizza Disagree
  • Not many events Disagree, pick up a Thursday Post Gazette or the City Paper
  • You get a bit bored of the city after a while
I won't complain about the weather because we get the exact same weather in NJ!
My responses are in bold. Good luck in your future and with the weather, I've found NJ to be warmer in the summer and less snowy in the winter than Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2014, 05:36 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
This shouldn't be one the list because air travel is ridiculous no matter the US city. The cost & time isn't even worth the hassle in most cases. Many people are choosing to drive instead.
I agree with you. I would not fly unless I was going to the West coast or leaving the continent. Flying from Pittsburgh to any of the BosWash cities is a waste of money IMO.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:26 PM

697 posts, read 778,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYO View Post

Slightly off-topic: Does anyone know of anywhere aside from the Settlers Ridge Market District that sells Rick Bayless Frontera Products (specifically the seasoning sauces like mole)? Macy's Downtown used to have them, but they don't carry any of the products anymore. Every time I'm out that way I stock up, but it'd be nice to find them in the city. They are delicious and make quick, easy meals.
I've gotten Frontera salsa at Whole Foods and/or the Co-op. Even if they don't carry the seasoning sauces they can sometimes special order since they sell the brand. Both stores offer case discounts.

OP, interesting thread you started. Thanks and best of luck.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:44 PM

456 posts, read 833,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I agree with you. I would not fly unless I was going to the West coast or leaving the continent. Flying from Pittsburgh to any of the BosWash cities is a waste of money IMO.
That's why I like the East Coast. You want to get to DC or Boston for example? You have so many options: rail, bus, plane, all with competitive prices.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:47 PM

419 posts, read 552,055 times
OP, is the "roll out of bed" look prominent in NJ? It's defined by going out in public with messy bed hair, clothing worn in bed, and usually carrying plastic Walmart bags. Just curious, because it's very prevelant around Pittsburgh. I'm not sure if you can possibly miss it, unless you never ventured off campus.

Old 04-30-2014, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghdude28 View Post
OP, is the "roll out of bed" look prominent in NJ? It's defined by going out in public with messy bed hair, clothing worn in bed, and usually carrying plastic Walmart bags. Just curious, because it's very prevelant around Pittsburgh. I'm not sure if you can possibly miss it, unless you never ventured off campus.
Well, I'm sure there are people like that in NJ. The "roll out of bed" look seems popular at university campuses in the States haha

Old 04-30-2014, 11:19 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,756,315 times
Quote:
Well, I'm sure there are people like that in NJ. The "roll out of bed" look seems popular at university campuses in the States haha
It's certainly popular in the college town I live in.

Old 05-01-2014, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
It's certainly popular in the college town I live in.
I personally hate that "look". Fix yourself up, comb your hair, put some cologne, put some clean/ironed clothes - look professional. I must say though in the States, the best dressers are in Manhattan. It seems in rural america people usually just wear shorts, hoodie sweater, sneakers, and a baseball cap.

Old 05-01-2014, 06:35 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,884,976 times
Quote:
I personally ...
You can't leave without telling us where those good kebab places are

Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,086,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tabinekotaro View Post
Agreed. For a lot of things I buy, Whole Foods is actually cheaper than Giant Eagle. For the things that are more expensive, the quality of produce at GE is not nearly as nice.

Market District is pretty nice, but it's still not as nice as (and more expensive than) an average Wegmans, which it's clearly a copy of. Seriously, when Binghamton NY has a better "regular" grocery store than Pittsburgh, that's pretty pathetic.
Comparing Binghamton anything to Pittsburgh is a joke. Including the grocery store options. Wow, they have a Wegmans, who cares? The strip district alone destroys that place.

It's also funny that you would make a cherry picked comparison with the Market District in Shadyside, which is the oldest and crappiest of all the GE Market Districts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh