Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:56 PM

14,188 posts, read 22,791,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
...building enough highway capacity so theres no traffic is virtually impossible.
Is traffic that moves reliably during the day too much to ask? How about traffic that doesn't back up onto or past I-79 if there's a fender bender near the Fort Pitt Tunnel during morning rush hour, and doesn't take all day to thin out after the cops leave the scene?

Quote:
279 is, if anything, overbuilt.
Only the HOV lanes are overbuilt. Traffic moves so smoothly on I-279 that the HOV lanes aren't even needed. Delays during rush hour are short. Minus the HOV lanes, I-279 was built right the first time. It's better to overbuild than underbuild infrastructure. Pittsburgh International Airport has plenty of room to expand into if needed. Pennsylvania sells a lot of its electricity to other states. The HOV lanes on I-279 can be converted into a North Busway or some other transit extension.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2014, 07:13 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,847,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Well, it's only the fasted growing area because they built a giant highway out that way. If they hadn't built 279, no one would be moving to Cranberry.
bingo. more to the point, the Pittsburgh metro didn't become a fast growing metro because of it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Is traffic that moves reliably during the day too much to ask?
it's a more reasonable goal than no traffic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Only the HOV lanes are overbuilt. Traffic moves so smoothly on I-279 that the HOV lanes aren't even needed. Delays during rush hour are short. Minus the HOV lanes, I-279 was built right the first time. It's better to overbuild than underbuild infrastructure. Pittsburgh International Airport has plenty of room to expand into if needed. Pennsylvania sells a lot of its electricity to other states. The HOV lanes on I-279 can be converted into a North Busway or some other transit extension.
it's very expensive to overbuid infrastructure and likely not worth the expense. It's also a devastating highway inside city limits. it's intent is clearly to benefit further out areas at the expense of core areas, which is exactly what it does. more to the point, that is exactly what speculative new highway capacity does. it shifts things around not necessarily creating any real growth. as I've noted earlier, I think addressing where demand is makes good sense. tolling the tunnels would be a good way to raise money and reduce demand. often not included in the conversation about traffic is that "free" ways are not managing demand. when you fly, the price rises as the plane fills up. why shouldn't highways operate in the same manner? if you have too many cars then the rational response is to increase the price until you don't have too many cars. as a result you will either have enough money to build capacity enhancements or people will substitute into more "efficient" means (carpooling, buses, etc).
transit extensions down the middle of highways had their day, it's not a great way to build a transit system on the whole. that north hills t extension is garbag, perhaps a result of highway people designing transit.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:44 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,614,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneW View Post
Well, it's only the fasted growing area because they built a giant highway out that way. If they hadn't built 279, no one would be moving to Cranberry.
Yes, and to do that, they moved people who were already living in its path and permanently scarred/divided and large part of the city in the process. It was basically a federally-assisted transfer of wealth from the city to the suburbs and from Allegheny County to Butler County.

And pman already said that before I got to it. I hadn't caught up on the whole thread first.

Last edited by Moby Hick; 05-20-2014 at 07:45 AM.. Reason: I hadn't read the above post.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:28 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,966,137 times
I believe in congestion charging for ppl commuting from outside the city limits to inside. Set up toll booths on the freeways at the point of city entry and charge commuters for the use of the infrastructure . Couple that with a reduction in local business taxes and watch industry and money roll in. It also serves to strengthen mass transit options which compete more competively with cars and nearby suburbs with local roads access, keeping the city metroplex slightly more right knit.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:30 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,362,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost_In_Translation View Post
Set up toll booths on the freeways at the point of city entry
Yeah, that will REALLY make the traffic situation better . . .

Old 05-20-2014, 09:39 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,847,091 times
Quote:
I believe in congestion charging for ppl commuting from outside the city limits to inside. Set up toll booths on the freeways at the point of city entry and charge commuters for the use of the infrastructure . Couple that with a reduction in local business taxes and watch industry and money roll in. It also serves to strengthen mass transit options which compete more competively with cars and nearby suburbs with local roads access, keeping the city metroplex slightly more right knit.
think of it less of congestion pricing than demand pricing (although it's really the same thing). in this day and age there is no need for actual toll booths or even for cars to slow down. I also wouldn't limit it to city limits but wherever congestion (which is nothing more than demand in excess of supply which happens when the price is $0) occurs...be it the city or monroeville. using it to lower business taxes (I'd actually start with the outragous state taxes) is an interesting idea. indeed it would make transit more competitive.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:40 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,088,726 times
Instead of just making driving worse during rush hours, we should be making other transportation options better so that more people choose them during those times.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
think of it less of congestion pricing than demand pricing (although it's really the same thing). in this day and age there is no need for actual toll booths or even for cars to slow down. I also wouldn't limit it to city limits but wherever congestion (which is nothing more than demand in excess of supply which happens when the price is $0) occurs...be it the city or monroeville. using it to lower business taxes (I'd actually start with the outragous state taxes) is an interesting idea. indeed it would make transit more competitive.
While I appreciate that actual city residents foot an unfair portion of the burden of upkeeping city roads, this seems overly punitive to people further out of town who want to visit (spend money in) the city who may not have an ez-pass or whatever. I grew up in Steubenville but visited downtown relatively often. If I had to pay money for the privilege I would not have bothered.

I also would not have driven to another suburb just to park my car and take a bus in, or other ideas that would have been just as a big of a pain in the butt.

That also would have curtailed my travel to places East and South of the city, because as we all know from the topic of this thread THERE'S NO WAY AROUND.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:44 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,966,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Yeah, that will REALLY make the traffic situation better . . .
EZ Pass straight, build out toll booths off to sides.

Old 05-20-2014, 09:49 AM

Quote:
EZ Pass straight, build out toll booths off to sides.
Again, as an Ohio resident I would not have purchased an EZ pass or paid money to do this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh