Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2014, 10:05 PM

7,112 posts, read 10,132,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Indian Trail Steps from Carson to Duquesne Heights c. early 1900's:

Indian Trail Steps
Whoo! That looks like a soil erosion nightmare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2014, 04:59 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
I am positive that I read earlier this year about a project to build a trail/steps along the face of Mt Washington, but can't remember any details. The closest I could find was about Emerald View, but that wasn't it. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Old 06-13-2014, 07:04 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,957,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
You're right. That isn't a very complete list. Here's another partial list, but it does cover Polish Hill pretty well.

Pittsburgh Steps

Maybe you have to buy the book mentioned in the article in the OP. But that's 10 years out of date now.
No Homewood or East Hills steps included.

Old 06-13-2014, 07:27 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,981,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMcKelvin View Post
although $100,000 seems like a mighty steep price for some cement and some railings) and do patchwork repairs as the need arises
If you've ever had a concrete company give you a quote you wouldn't think so. It's crazy how expensive that stuff is! It's no wonder sidewalks all over the city are so busted up; nobody has a few grand sitting around to spend on something boring like sidewalks.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:12 AM

632 posts, read 853,509 times
Thanks for posting the cool photo of the Indian Trail steps!
I had never seen them. Only heard my grandmother tell stories about
traversing them down to West Carson Street (an area they then called "Limerick").

A lot of Pittsburgh steps are actually shown on maps as being streets.
In fact most of them have named city street signs on them. A bit of a surprise
if you're an out-of-towner in a rental car.

Old 06-13-2014, 11:25 AM

145 posts, read 182,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
If you've ever had a concrete company give you a quote you wouldn't think so. It's crazy how expensive that stuff is! It's no wonder sidewalks all over the city are so busted up; nobody has a few grand sitting around to spend on something boring like sidewalks.
You're right I had no idea it was that expensive. In that case, wouldn't wood be a better option? I've come across several sets of wooden staircases while exploring on foot and they seem to hold up just fine and should be much cheaper/faster to repair.

One example: http://goo.gl/maps/gaI8N

(edit: one more showing some recent rail replacements) http://goo.gl/maps/nkLb1

Old 06-15-2014, 09:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
Thanks for posting the cool photo of the Indian Trail steps!
I had never seen them. Only heard my grandmother tell stories about
traversing them down to West Carson Street (an area they then called "Limerick").

A lot of Pittsburgh steps are actually shown on maps as being streets.
In fact most of them have named city street signs on them. A bit of a surprise
if you're an out-of-towner in a rental car.
Or a visiting nurse new to the area. I remember when I was a very young VN, working the South Side Slopes before they were called that. I'd be looking for an address (no GPS then either) and all of a sudden the roadway would come to an end and there'd be some steps. I just parked the car, took out my nursing bag and walked to the house!

Old 06-16-2014, 09:46 PM

39 posts, read 54,719 times
save the steps!!!

Old 06-17-2014, 08:27 AM

632 posts, read 853,509 times
Another urban legend concerning the Indian Trail Steps was that they were haunted.
Supposedly the story was that people walking the steps at night reported seeing a ghost.
Word spread through the neighborhood and many people stopped using the steps as a result.

The legend goes on to say that the company which operated the Duquesne Incline had
actually paid someone to dress as a ghost and "haunt" the steps so that people would begin
paying the incline fare and not taking the free walk to Carson Street.

Old 06-24-2014, 02:37 PM

145 posts, read 182,977 times
Allegheny County steps up with $100K to improve Slopes staircases | TribLIVE

A little love for the steps, not sure how much $100,000 will actually accomplish but it's better than nothing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh