Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 09:26 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times

Advertisements

And maybe kids should only be allowed to ride in driverless cars until they are able to pass a rigorous test, as well, instead of learners' permits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 09:45 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
And maybe kids should only be allowed to ride in driverless cars until they are able to pass a rigorous test, as well, instead of learners' permits.
Absolutely. Even now, the average age for driving has been creeping up in recent years. By 2011, the proportion of 16-24 year olds who know how to drive dropped to 67%%, which is the lowest it's been in at least 50 years. I think graduated licencing has played a role here - it's simply not fun to be a driver when you're a teenager any longer - but the trend shows no sign of ceasing regardless. The age of getting your learner's permit at 15 is pretty much done, and the way things are going relatively few people will drive in high school at all.

I expect that eventually the "driving" age will rise to 18 virtually everywhere - perhaps even 21. However, I also expect that the first generation to grow up with automated cars freely available mostly won't bother learning how to drive at all. If they do so it will be for hobbyist reasons, not for any practical one.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:33 PM

43,011 posts, read 108,061,041 times
Anyone who has used a GPS system for directions while driving must know how terrifying a driverless car is. Those GPS systems are often completely inaccurate. We've driven in circles, been taken in the wrong direction and much more. There are people who have turned off the road because the GPS system told them to and they weren't paying attention. I don't trust a driverless car to navigate when it's going to be using a GPS system that hasn't proven to be accurate and reliable.

Old 07-03-2014, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Really what should be done is periodic retesting of senior citizens through a driver's test every few years, with a "fail" meaning their licence is revoked. But this would be hugely costly. I think it's more likely that once automated cars become a good replacement we get much, much more stringent overall with who we do allow to engage in manual driving, which includes upper limits on age.
You're making me crazy with your wild ideas of discrimination and oppression. This should not be based on age. There are people of all ages who shouldn't be behind the wheel. It should be based on abilities of all age groups. Period.

Old 07-03-2014, 05:43 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,204,562 times
Ya know, if you think about it, "driverless" is a misnomer anyway. The computer program is the "driver". In a "driverless" car, the person making the moment to moment decisions, instead of being present and behind the wheel, will be some computer programmer, a thousand miles away, and years ago...

Old 07-03-2014, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
Ya know, if you think about it, "driverless" is a misnomer anyway. The computer program is the "driver". In a "driverless" car, the person making the moment to moment decisions, instead of being present and behind the wheel, will be some computer programmer, a thousand miles away, and years ago...
And that's terrifying when you consider that unreliable GPS systems will be navigating these contraptions.

Next they'll be digging ditches.

Old 07-03-2014, 06:35 PM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Anyone who has used a GPS system for directions while driving must know how terrifying a driverless car is. Those GPS systems are often completely inaccurate. We've driven in circles, been taken in the wrong direction and much more. There are people who have turned off the road because the GPS system told them to and they weren't paying attention. I don't trust a driverless car to navigate when it's going to be using a GPS system that hasn't proven to be accurate and reliable.
These systems use GPS, but they are far more advanced than that. Google's cars, for example, only travel down roads that a manually driven Google Car has already scanned down to the centimeter level.

Old 07-03-2014, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Google's cars, for example, only travel down roads that a manually driven Google Car has already scanned down to the centimeter level.
That means they'll be limited in where they can go!

Old 07-03-2014, 08:50 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
That means they'll be limited in where they can go!
Google streetview was done in the same way. I remember when google streetview first came out and people thought Google was pulling the public's leg. Now I can go check out random side streets in Kansas with just a few seconds of effort.

Old 07-03-2014, 10:14 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Now I can go check out random side streets in Kansas with just a few seconds of effort.
My hometown still only has the highways. I just checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh