Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:49 PM

25 posts, read 85,162 times

Advertisements

I live on the same street as an auto mechanic and he has 5 or 6 cars parked on our street, taking up most of the on-street parking. The cars are parked legally. I think the stickers are up to date. At least 1 of the cars has not moved in 2 years. It's not a big deal, since my visitors can find parking nearby, but I have to wonder, is this legal in Pittsburgh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 02:15 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times
It should be legal, but not sure about a car sitting for two years. The stickers need to be current, or the mechanic would most likely put them in his garage at night. Living next to a mechanic is always going to have that issue, but they need to fix cars and that is part of the game. That is how he puts food on the table. It is one of those things you should know about prior to buying a home, or even renting. If you live next to or very close to a mechanic, there are going to be lots of cars. These days there aren't all that many mechanics out there that are worth much, so if they are good, it is probably VERY busy.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:24 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,680,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcha View Post
At least 1 of the cars has not moved in 2 years.
Wouldn't it HAVE to be moved for emissions testing?

Old 07-07-2014, 02:26 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h_curtis View Post
Living next to a mechanic is always going to have that issue, but they need to fix cars and that is part of the game. That is how he puts food on the table. It is one of those things you should know about prior to buying a home, or even renting. If you live next to or very close to a mechanic, there are going to be lots of cars.
OP said that he lives near a guy who's a mechanic, not an auto shop. I don't think a street littered with cars necessarily comes with the territory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
Wouldn't it HAVE to be moved for emissions testing?
If the dude's a mechanic, he can probably get the sticker without actually having to inspect the car.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:38 PM

25 posts, read 85,162 times
Maybe he did move it for inspection and return it to its spot in front of my house while I was at work. I guess I just have to give up on this one.

Old 07-07-2014, 02:46 PM

632 posts, read 853,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcha View Post
but I have to wonder, is this legal in Pittsburgh?
Welcome to the land of the broken down chair holding your parking spot in the winter time.

Pittsburgh does have parking laws. And its citizens would march on City Hall and burn it to the
ground should they ever be enforced.

Old 07-08-2014, 06:04 AM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,532 times
^ heehee! :-D

Old 07-08-2014, 07:05 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeye Burgher View Post
Welcome to the land of the broken down chair holding your parking spot in the winter time.

Pittsburgh does have parking laws. And its citizens would march on City Hall and burn it to the
ground should they ever be enforced.
What parking law is being broken in this situation? Annoying? Yes. Illegal? I don't believe so.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:10 AM

632 posts, read 853,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
What parking law is being broken in this situation? Annoying? Yes. Illegal? I don't believe so.
It is actually illegal to put a broken chair out to hold your parking space on a public street.

And nearly everybody in this town does it.

And if any serious attempt were made to enforce that law the Mayor and all members of City Council
would be working at Walmart or McDonalds within four years.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:52 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
The parking chair itself is considered abandoned property and will be thrown away, and maybe a fine for littering. I don't know for sure.

Nearly everyone huh....I never have, my neighbors don't, actually I think on my street, which is over 4 blocks long, I have only seen one person do it a few times.

The parking chair is part of our culture, you either love it or hate it, and it is definitely fading away, along with many other things, as the cities population churns over...give it another decade and it will be a rarity.

Although I dont partake in it myself, I understand why. During Snowmeggedan I lived in the South Side...I over an hour cleaning out a spot, carrying recylcing bins full of snow to an empty lot at the end of the block since there was no where else in the alley to put it. Only to have some rando pull in and take my spot so he could chug beers all day around the corner. I get that it is a public street, but my was it annoying. Being young, I had no problem cleaning another spot, but the elderly would definitely struggle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh