Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 10:12 AM

387 posts, read 471,514 times

Advertisements

Most DIY'er aren't getting into projects that require engineering specs calling for specific species & grades of structural lumber--

What's at the local big box stores will suffice for *most* DIY'ers needs--But even then, the local big 3, HD Lowes & 84 lumber--you still gotta pick through everything just to get a few good pices of lumber-lets face it, truly good lumber is hard to find.

But for those of you taking on more than a weekend project, those adding additions, removing a wall--those who need the strength of select structural or #1 & better grades--this is for you:

Allegheny Millwork & Lumber
1001 Muriel Street (10th Street Bridge)
Pittsburgh, PA 15203

They've got a souce for one of the Hem Fir species in Select Structural that I DROOLED over.
Yes.
Drooled.--it's beautiful wood.
No one is ever gonna see mine once installed, which is a shame!

For those of you dorks/geeks that are detail oriented about your wood, or for those who never knew exactly what Hem Fir includes, Hem Fir lumber is not 1 species, like Douglas Fir, it is a combination of species that carry the same reliable specs.

Hem Fir is 2nd only to Douglas Fir in strength & elasticity.

Here is a snippet from WWPA:

"Hem-Fir is a species combination of Western Hemlock (Tsuga heterophylla) and five of the True Firs: California Red Fir (Abies magnifica), Grand Fir (Abies grandis), Noble Fir (Abies procera), Pacific Silver Fir (Abies amabilis), and White Fir (Abies concolor). While Western Hemlock and the True Firs are sometimes marketed separately in products graded for appearance, these species share similar design values making products graded for structural applications interchangeable. " Hem-Fir

Anyway, the wood currently in stock is sourced from Idaho (Idaho Forest Group)--it is KD HT White Fir (abies concolor)Attachment 132776

Attachment 132777

These pics are from my 10+ yr old flip phone, taken yesterday-- sorry for crappy pics.

Of course, truly premium graded lumber comes with higher price, & for a 2x6x12 Select Structural KD HT White Fir it is $9.99/e.
I'm willing pay, because in my case, if I couldn't source lumber, the other alternative was LVL, at about $5 per board foot.

Like I said--most of you will never need this type of lumber for your projects, but this place also has beautiful moulding & finish materials--and is smack down in southside--basically under the 10th st bridge--follow 11th st to it's end on the river side & there it is.

Lived here all of my life--never knew this place existed--took me weeks of searching & calling around to find SS Hem Fir, & there it was, right in my backyard!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 10:14 AM

PS I dunno why my pics/attachments aren't showing--sigh--it's the only time I ever tried to post a pic here.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:20 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,083,010 times
I've heard of them in regards to being the place to go to match unique trim and moulding.

Old 07-13-2014, 01:03 PM

618 posts, read 692,716 times
Went here to get trim, highly recommended. The quality was far beyond what we saw at the big box stores. Can't beat the variety.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:37 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,396,252 times
Was the number 1 kept inside or under the canopy

Old 07-13-2014, 02:48 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,648,440 times
My contractor goes there. I'm going to have to check it out for myself someday soon.

Old 07-13-2014, 03:20 PM

Wasn't #1, it is Select Structural, which is the grade above #1, & is stamped as such.

I know that's 'splitting hairs' but when you've got specs, sometimes you gotta split those hairs.

My pics are of the lumber's actual stamp, & if I can ever get the pics to show, that'd be great!

Wood was/is located outside under their canopy type roofs in open air & all wood I could see was very very clean, I walked the aisles outside & checked stuff out, but only had 20min before closing.

Wood grading info copied/pasted from WWPA
(link Grades )

[SIZE=2]SELECT STRUCTURAL
No. 1 & BTR (DF-L, DF & Hem-Fir species only)
No. 1
No. 2
No. 3 [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Light Framing
(2x2 through 4x4, basic framing lumber, as used in most light-frame construction, e.g. wall framing, sills, plates, cripples, blocking, etc.) Grades are: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]CONSTRUCTION
STANDARD
UTILITY [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]Stud
(2x2 through 4x18, an optional grade intended for vertical use, as in load bearing walls.) The grade is: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]STUD [/SIZE]
[SIZE=2]Structural Joists & Planks
(2x5 through 4x18, intended for engineering applications for lumber 5" and wider, such as floor and ceiling joists, rafters, headers, small beams, trusses and general framing applications. Grades are: [/SIZE]

[SIZE=2]SELECT STRUCTURAL
No.1 & BTR (in Douglas Fir, Douglas Fir-Larch, or Hem-Fir species only.)
No. 1
No. 2
No. 3 [/SIZE]

Old 07-13-2014, 03:41 PM

Glad you were able to get your lumber. we had a big problem with the pigeon mess being on all the outside lumber. We stopped buying it. The preasure treated closer to the bridge was unuseable. They must be cleaning it up. Brookside lumber is also good, they have a better selection of most lumber, but allegheny has a better molding department.

Old 07-14-2014, 01:18 AM

I checked for pigeon poo-since you mentioned it me-it was one of the reasons I went down to check for myself in person I'm sure I didn't see every inch, but what I saw was clean.

Where is Brookside Lumber?

Old 07-14-2014, 05:44 AM

Bethel park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh