Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2014, 09:32 AM

Location: Central Texas. Wait, I mean South Texas. Actually, both Central and South Texas
317 posts, read 574,218 times

Advertisements

A few questions:

What do you think about the commute to Downtown, specifically Herrs Island? How much stop and go traffic would I encounter? Anything under 50 mins one way is fine with me, but I don't want to deal with a lot of stop and go areas. What would be the best route? I would be leaving Monroeville at 6:00 AM and leaving Herrs Island at 3:30 PM.

Second, my wife is Asian. She was born in the Philippines and moved to the US after college. She actually looks more Hispanic than Asian (research the History of the Philippines if you are confused). We have a daughter as well. Is there a lot of racial tension in this particular area? How are minorities treated in this area compared to other neighborhoods in the Pittsburgh Area?

Last, any thoughts or opinions good or bad about Monroeville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2014, 09:46 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
A few questions:

What do you think about the commute to Downtown, specifically Herrs Island? How much stop and go traffic would I encounter? Anything under 50 mins one way is fine with me, but I don't want to deal with a lot of stop and go areas. What would be the best route? I would be leaving Monroeville at 6:00 AM and leaving Herrs Island at 3:30 PM.

Second, my wife is Asian. She was born in the Philippines and moved to the US after college. She actually looks more Hispanic than Asian (research the History of the Philippines if you are confused). We have a daughter as well. Is there a lot of racial tension in this particular area? How are minorities treated in this area compared to other neighborhoods in the Pittsburgh Area?

Monroeville is pretty diverse so I wouldn't worry about racial tension.

As for your commute, it is really a tough one in that I can't think of the best way to tell you on how to get there.

On the way home you may want to consider taking 28 to Harmarville (15 minutes) and getting on the Turnpike (about 10 miles so roughly 10 min). I know this may sound weird but you won't really encounter much traffic at 3:30 and it basically all highways except for the time it takes to get off 28 and then get on the Turnpike.

Old 08-20-2014, 10:00 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigben1234 View Post
A few questions:

I've never heard of racial tension towards Filipinas before....I mean, anywhere. An Asian female is probably the least likely to be discriminated against of all minority groups. Filipinas generally speak really good English, which makes it even less likely they'd experience discrimination than a non-English speaking Asian might.

But, regarding Monroeville, it seems there are more Asians living in Monroeville than in Pittsburgh itself.

I just looked it up on Wikipedia, and apparently Monroeville is one of the most racially diverse in the Pittsburgh area, and it's around 6% Asian.

Old 08-20-2014, 03:53 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,612,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robrobrob View Post
Monroeville is pretty diverse so I wouldn't worry about racial tension.

As for your commute, it is really a tough one in that I can't think of the best way to tell you on how to get there.

On the way home you may want to consider taking 28 to Harmarville (15 minutes) and getting on the Turnpike (about 10 miles so roughly 10 min). I know this may sound weird but you won't really encounter much traffic at 3:30 and it basically all highways except for the time it takes to get off 28 and then get on the Turnpike.
Agree about diversity, but 28 to the Turnpike sounds horrid. At 3:30 couldn't one just take the parkway? The tunnel shouldn't be too severe yet.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:28 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
28 to highland park bridge to washington blvd to penn ave to parkway. I would just go 28 to parkway.

Last year i went 28 to turnpike, and i sat at the toll both forever.

Old 08-20-2014, 04:34 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
The parkway is a disaster from about 2:45 on. By 3:30, it will be backed up past Bates St. You won't sit at the toll booth if you get EZ-Pass.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:08 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herodotus View Post
The parkway is a disaster from about 2:45 on. By 3:30, it will be backed up past Bates St. You won't sit at the toll booth if you get EZ-Pass.
Agreed. Pittsburgh has a VERY long rush hour due to rampant unchecked suburban sprawl. As a delivery driver I won't even consider taking the Parkway East outbound at any point between 3:00 PM and 7:15 PM. Even then I've hit gridlock as early as 2 PM on some days (especially Fridays) and as late as 7:30 PM (especially Thursdays). I wouldn't wish living in Monroeville or Murrysville and commuting into the city on anyone.

Old 08-20-2014, 08:36 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Agreed. Pittsburgh has a VERY long rush hour due to rampant unchecked suburban sprawl. I wouldn't wish living in Monroeville or Murrysville and commuting into the city on anyone.

Those communities really weren't designed for commuting into the city. When Monroeville was built up, it was built up more as a suburb for the Turtle Creek and Mon Valleys, which had many large employers with tens of thousands of workers.

My own Monroeville relatives worked at Wabco, example given, and never came to Pittsburgh (except sometimes to visit their Pittsburgh relatives).

Old 08-20-2014, 09:55 PM

1,901 posts, read 4,380,495 times
Just avoid Cambridge Sq Townhomes. At first it was just wannabee gangsters who grew up in Penn Hills/Pitcairn/Monroeville; however, now the inner city fellas are setting up shop there- and that's no good....

Monroeville is a very nice area.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:49 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,532,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
28 to highland park bridge to washington blvd to penn ave to parkway. I would just go 28 to parkway.

Last year i went 28 to turnpike, and i sat at the toll both forever.
You will sail through the turnpike in Harmarville. Not sure about Monroeville at 4. My wife goes from Monroeville to Harmarville at 5 and has never complained.

I wouldn't go through the city if I didn't have to. I also wouldn't want to make a left from Washington Blvd/5th Ave. (I think it is really 5th at that point) onto Penn Avenue. Since Bakery Square opened they got rid of the protected left. So you would have to make a left onto Thomas Blvd.

Just take 28 to the turnpike. All high way with little traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh