Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2014, 07:42 AM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
I find pittsburgh to be quite satisfying until you hit a very high income range & then it starts lacking in comparison to many of the larger cities.
It's no question, Pittsburgh is still a solid "Middle Class" city, something that's becoming a rare find in America. Cities are becoming locals of either "haves or have-nots", they're either Ultra Expensive (NYC, DC, BOS, SF, LA, SEA, MIA) or they're more "Poor" leaning (DET, CLE, CIN, PHL, BAL, NOLA, STL, BUF)

Cities like the Burgh... MSP, DEN, PDX, AUS, SD, CBUS, ATL are cities in which the Middle Class still somewhat dominates the city's economic activities, aren't priced out of neighborhoods and/or partaking in majority of social amenities the local provides. This is becoming more and more RARE in America..... Not that this isn't true of the "Poorer" cities too, but the poorer cities tend to have more of their population living in poverty as opposed to "Middle Class" therefore Neighborhoods and Amenities that would be considered "Middle Class" still would be out of the reach to a majority of the population.

The one primary Outlier that I have is CHI... CHI has a sizable population of all 3 categories, no one group dominates the other 2..

Not really sure about DAL or HOU
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2014, 07:14 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
It's no question, Pittsburgh is still a solid "Middle Class" city, something that's becoming a rare find in America. Cities are becoming locals of either "haves or have-nots", they're either Ultra Expensive (NYC, DC, BOS, SF, LA, SEA, MIA) or they're more "Poor" leaning (DET, CLE, CIN, PHL, BAL, NOLA, STL, BUF)

Cities like the Burgh... MSP, DEN, PDX, AUS, SD, CBUS, ATL are cities in which the Middle Class still somewhat dominates the city's economic activities, aren't priced out of neighborhoods and/or partaking in majority of social amenities the local provides. This is becoming more and more RARE in America..... Not that this isn't true of the "Poorer" cities too, but the poorer cities tend to have more of their population living in poverty as opposed to "Middle Class" therefore Neighborhoods and Amenities that would be considered "Middle Class" still would be out of the reach to a majority of the population.

The one primary Outlier that I have is CHI... CHI has a sizable population of all 3 categories, no one group dominates the other 2..

I agree, I've always found Pittsburgh to be much more of a middle class city than other places in the US.

Old 08-29-2014, 08:20 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Well, The Economist has once again bestowed our lovely city with the title of "Second-Most-Livable City in America", behind Honolulu.

Is anyone else bummed out that we can't regain our #1 ranking? What will it take to reclaim that position? A mass transit system that doesn't exclusively rely upon buses to serve the densest parts of the region? Bridges that aren't structurally deficient? A less stark income inequality? Lower violent crime rates in urban neighborhoods? More food trucks? More bike lanes? An end to the Great East End Housing Crisis (ducking stilettos). Yac moving here?
Well, it's Honolulu! You'd need to move Pittsburgh into the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and still even...it wouldn't work.

I think the reality is that these types of surveys like to spread around the love every year. So, it would be unlikely they'd give any city the title two years in a row.

Old 08-29-2014, 11:25 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, it's Honolulu! You'd need to move Pittsburgh into the middle of the Pacific Ocean, and still even...it wouldn't work.

I think the reality is that these types of surveys like to spread around the love every year. So, it would be unlikely they'd give any city the title two years in a row.
If I'm not mistaken this is Honolulu's second year in a row.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:26 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
I think Honolulu would be a fun place to live, but the isolation from the rest of the country and cost to travel would be too much for me.

Old 08-29-2014, 06:57 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

Umm...are you talking about Pittsburg, Kansas? Pittsburgh, PA is no longer affordable for the middle class. Maybe 5 years ago.

Old 08-29-2014, 10:03 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,201,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
If I'm not mistaken this is Honolulu's second year in a row.
Well, Honolulu IS a pretty cool city! I mean, what city can honestly compete with it?

Additionally, the population keeps understanding, I think I read somewhere that it's now the 10th or 12th largest city in the U.S. and I think it's also the 10th largest economy...something like that.

It's so far off people's radar, so it makes it quite an interesting place.

If ONLY it were affordable, and the cost of living could be more easily met!

Old 08-29-2014, 10:19 PM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Umm...are you talking about Pittsburg, Kansas? Pittsburgh, PA is no longer affordable for the middle class. Maybe 5 years ago.
What US cities do you consider affordable for the middle class? I believe the median home price in the US is a little under $200k and the median in Pittsburgh is around $150k. Property taxes are high here compared to some parts of the US and salaries are lower, but it seems like Pittsburgh would still be affordable for most middle class families. It is not the bargain it was when the steel industry collapsed, but the economy is better now. Coming from the SF Bay Area, it seems quite affordable to me, but I am used to $1 million+ for a 3 bdr, 2 ba ranch style home.

Old 08-30-2014, 06:54 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodjules View Post
What US cities do you consider affordable for the middle class? I believe the median home price in the US is a little under $200k and the median in Pittsburgh is around $150k. Property taxes are high here compared to some parts of the US and salaries are lower, but it seems like Pittsburgh would still be affordable for most middle class families. It is not the bargain it was when the steel industry collapsed, but the economy is better now. Coming from the SF Bay Area, it seems quite affordable to me, but I am used to $1 million+ for a 3 bdr, 2 ba ranch style home.

Most cities in the Midwest.

Old 08-30-2014, 07:16 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Most cities in the Midwest.
The Midwest has much worse weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh