Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times

Advertisements

Someone fighting to add a religious-esque addition to a public building at this point is just as misguided as those who fight to remove such sculptures/wordings/displays etc. that have been apart of said buildings for years.

On a related note city council members are shockingly lacking in education - prior to Peduto finishing his degree requirements in 2007, not a single member of council even had a bachelor's degree. While I know that a degree isn't everything, most had no other practical experience to fall back on outside of the political realm. I've had to attend some council meetings & worked with them & there are some really stupid people running things. City Council rant over.

And yes, I now realize you were talking about county council & not city - though if you're really interested in city council, Natalia Rudiak is on Tinder

Last edited by UKyank; 09-05-2014 at 08:58 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 08:49 AM

248 posts, read 326,512 times
Picking a fight is bringing this up at council in the first place. Once that's done the council members have to actually weigh their opinion and vote on it. I'm not sure I want anyone on that council that would silence their own opposition to this to avoid a fight.

I would feel differently if this were actually an insignificant issue. It's not to a lot of people and I'm glad some council members are recognizing that.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:53 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post

On a related note city council members are shockingly lacking in education - prior to Peduto finishing his degree requirements in 2007, not a single member of council even had a bachelor's degree. While I know that a degree isn't everything, most had no other practical experience to fall back on outside of the political realm.D
In the modern era, city council people are supposed to be professional legislators, without a regular job.

Rev. Burgess is the exception to the rule, as a trained, working theologian.

But the rest, this is their job. Its not the old days where you had working union bosses, lawyers and business people serving part time on Pittsburgh City Council.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:00 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
But the rest, this is their job. Its not the old days where you had working union bosses, lawyers and business people serving part time on Pittsburgh City Council.
Yes. There had been other people with degrees on council before Peduto. I guess maybe none in 2007.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:06 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,883,891 times
Quote:
In the modern era, city council people are supposed to be professional legislators, without a regular job.

Rev. Burgess is the exception to the rule, as a trained, working theologian.

It still doesn't instill confidence when you have people in governing positions that wouldn't otherwise qualify for any type of professional job anywhere else (including public service).

Though I think we're up to 4 council members whom completed college at the moment.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
It still doesn't instill confidence when you have people in governing positions that wouldn't otherwise qualify for any type of professional job anywhere else (including public service).

Though I think we're up to 4 council members whom completed college at the moment.

I don't know, how does this compare with the commissions and councils in the other hundred odd municipalities in the county?

Old 09-05-2014, 04:31 PM

1,174 posts, read 1,586,870 times
Quote:
No one is hitting your car here, and part of being an adult is not picking a fight over everything you hear that you might object to.

It doesn't need to be on any public building. Keep your religion to yourself.

Old 09-05-2014, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-tip motha View Post
It doesn't need to be on any public building. Keep your religion to yourself.
The motto "In God We Trust" isn't part of any particular religion, its actually pretty inoffensive except to those who are seeking to be offended.

Old 09-05-2014, 06:31 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
The motto "In God We Trust" isn't part of any particular religion, its actually pretty inoffensive except to those who are seeking to be offended.
No. The motto wasn't part of any particular portion of Judeo-Christian denomination, but it is certainly part of that tradition. The modern movement to put the motto in buildings in very much obviously an effort conducted by a certain subset of Protestant Christians. PA legislator mentioned in the story in the OP, the one from the party that supposedly stands for small government and local control of schools, tried to require "In God We Trust" on every school building in the state. It's cheap vote-gathering using Jesus like he was a flag. As a Christian, I resent it, Saccone, and the whole movement.

'In God We Trust' bill revised - Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Old 09-05-2014, 06:43 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
Why is there even a need to bring this up? Seems like a waste of time and money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh