Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 07:56 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Please show me any evidence that this will occur.
Yeah SCR...show us demonstrable current evidence of the probably future benefits of a theoretical tax increase contained within the recent budget proposal!!! You can't...can you. See, it will all be wasted!!!

(...Also conveniently ignore the fact that the shouts of waste, fraud and abuse within the City government, while repeated several times within the thread, are without actual substantiation. But keep repeating it and it becomes so.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 08:00 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
This reminds me a lot of Scranton, a city in dire financial straits where citizens kept screaming to "CUT THE WASTE!!!" Sometimes there's not much waste, if any, to cut before you start slicing into the bone, folks.
I don't know anything about Scranton, we're talking about Pittsburgh.

Ya know, the city that convicted their police chief of taking taxpayer money in 2014.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:04 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Ya know, the city that convicted their police chief of taking taxpayer money in 2014.
Yes. And as part of that scandal, the incumbent mayor declined to run for office leading to a completely new mayor who was actively opposed by much of the existing power structure. It was in the papers.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:07 AM

Quote:
I don't know anything about Scranton, we're talking about Pittsburgh.

So, just to be clear, the best "evidence" that you can cite for waste, fraud and abuse in City government is the ex-police chief stealing $32k. Might I remind you, the City budget is over $500 million. Harper stole $32k, over several years, was discovered, prosecuted, and ordered to pay that amount back in restitution.

If that's the worst you've got, Pittsburgh is the best run municipal government in the world.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
So, just to be clear, the best "evidence" that you can cite for waste, fraud and abuse in City government is the ex-police chief stealing $32k. Might I remind you, the City budget is over $500 million. Harper stole $32k, over several years, was discovered, prosecuted, and ordered to pay that amount back in restitution.

If that's the worst you've got, Pittsburgh is the best run municipal government in the world.
Wait, so you said I had no evidence and then when I take a heaping amount of evidence you automatically dismiss it.

The "la la la I can't hear you" argument. Nice.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:11 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Wait, so you said I had no evidence and then when I take a heaping amount of evidence you automatically dismiss it.

"I have an example of one instance that I will repeat every time as proof, nyah nyah nyah"

Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 AM

Quote:

"heaping"....really?

$32k of $500 million ain't much of a heap. That's why I dismissed it. It's literally a nickel on an $800 tax increase ($200k assessed value). A nickel that was paid back might I add.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:16 AM

1,344 posts, read 3,406,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
(...Also conveniently ignore the fact that the shouts of waste, fraud and abuse within the City government, while repeated several times within the thread, are without actual substantiation. But keep repeating it and it becomes so.)
If there is no waste, fraud and abuse, why does the City Controller have a hotline for reporting such things?

Welcome to Open Book Pittsburgh

The City Controller does not appear to report it so it may be hard to substantiate.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
If there is no waste, fraud and abuse, why does the City Controller have a hotline for reporting such things?

Welcome to Open Book Pittsburgh

The City Controller does not appear to report it so it may be hard to substantiate.
To placate citizens with your particular viewpoint?

BTW, it's a bit of a strawman to argue that I claimed there was absolutely no waste, fraud and abuse in government. Rather it's reflexively exaggerated by some to oppose any taxation.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
"I have an example of one instance that I will repeat every time as proof, nyah nyah nyah"
It's as if myself and others didn't post anything in this thread previously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh