Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 02:08 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,266,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enough_Already View Post
If they worked more hours on the project they would spend a little more money but the saving to the hundreds or thousands of people effected would be hundreds of times that cost. If they dumped some waste products into the river that cost that much to clean up this board would be up in arms. You revealed a lot about yourself with your comment...

Its a private project on private property.

The owners are definitely allowed to work on their properties, even when they are located on busy thoroughfares like the Boulevard.

When I was working in town, it was certainly a pain in the behind about all the construction vehicles, noise, traffic headaches near 5th & Wood. But little sense complaining, whether the owner is the Martini Company, PNC or whomever, you are better off just dealing with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 02:13 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,901,124 times
Quote:
You revealed a lot about yourself with your comment...
Yes, that he has a wonderful sense of humor.

You have revealed even more about yourself, in your seemingly endless diatribe. Enough, already.

Old 10-17-2014, 06:49 PM

2,458 posts, read 4,205,923 times
I came that way this afternoon, around 3:45.

Coming here (Beaver County) from the Parkway East, I'll usually pick between three alternatives--376 all the way; 376 to the Ft Duquesne Bridge, to 65 North; or, the Blvd of the Allies to the Crosstown, to 279 North, and Camp Horne Rd to 65.

Since the traffic report on the radio said the approach to the Ft Pitt Bridge was backed past Forbes Ave at the time, I figured, what the heck, it can't be much worse, give it a try.

From the time I got in line in the right lane, until I cleared the end of the lane closure, took about 11 minutes. The Parkway North was moving at full speed. I figure I still got home quicker than if I'd stuck it out on 376, even if only as far as the North Shore option.

(20 minutes later, the radio said the Ft Pitt approach was backing to Bates St.)

Much ado about nothing, in the grand scheme of Friday afternoon rush hour...

Old 10-22-2014, 08:43 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,993,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchdigger View Post
I came that way this afternoon, around 3:45.

Coming here (Beaver County) from the Parkway East, I'll usually pick between three alternatives--376 all the way; 376 to the Ft Duquesne Bridge, to 65 North; or, the Blvd of the Allies to the Crosstown, to 279 North, and Camp Horne Rd to 65.

Since the traffic report on the radio said the approach to the Ft Pitt Bridge was backed past Forbes Ave at the time, I figured, what the heck, it can't be much worse, give it a try.

From the time I got in line in the right lane, until I cleared the end of the lane closure, took about 11 minutes. The Parkway North was moving at full speed. I figure I still got home quicker than if I'd stuck it out on 376, even if only as far as the North Shore option.

(20 minutes later, the radio said the Ft Pitt approach was backing to Bates St.)

Much ado about nothing, in the grand scheme of Friday afternoon rush hour...
Four days in a row it was backed up over 1.5 miles. This is a private business and they can work of their property but they should pay the full cost just like if someone dumped waste into a river. The company could work more hours and get the job done sooner but since they are not paying the full cost, they just do the lowest cost way possible. This is effecting thousands of people on a daily basis. There is little reason a private business cannot be required to pay a little overtime to prevent the cost it is imposing on a large number of people. I just hope there is not a bad accident as a result of this situation...

Old 10-22-2014, 08:45 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,601,583 times
Quote:
Four days in a row it was backed up over 1.5 miles.
Isn't there another thread about this?

Old 10-22-2014, 08:52 AM

618 posts, read 692,784 times
Quote:
Four days in a row it was backed up over 1.5 miles. This is a private business and they can work of their property but they should pay the full cost just like if someone dumped waste into a river. The company could work more hours and get the job done sooner but since they are not paying the full cost, they just do the lowest cost way possible. This is effecting thousands of people on a daily basis. There is little reason a private business cannot be required to pay a little overtime to prevent the cost it is imposing on a large number of people. I just hope there is not a bad accident as a result of this situation...
oh nos! inconveniences in a city during rush hour!

Old 10-22-2014, 09:33 AM

814 posts, read 1,151,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Ah, gotcha. Everything about it sounds terrible
I'll still probably end up seeing it just for the scenes at ELPC.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:22 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,920,320 times
Quote:
Where are you going that this is causing such an issue?

Liberty Tubes? If so exit at Glenwood, take 2nd Ave, across 10th Street and up McArdle to the tubes

Veterns Bridge? If so exit at Glenwood, take 2nd Ave, Right thru Armstrong Tunnesl, and then get on the Parkway North

Parkway West/Downtown (the Parkway East backing up due to this?) If so exit at Glenwood, take 2nd Avenue, straight on Court Place, straight on Blvd of the Allies, left on Stanwix, to the Parkway West

Old 10-22-2014, 10:49 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,995,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Isn't there another thread about this?
Yeah, I had to see if I clicked on the correct subject. Seems enoughalready is making all threads about his commute.

Old 10-28-2014, 01:14 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
Where are you going that this is causing such an issue?

Liberty Tubes? If so exit at Glenwood, take 2nd Ave, across 10th Street and up McArdle to the tubes

Veterns Bridge? If so exit at Glenwood, take 2nd Ave, Right thru Armstrong Tunnesl, and then get on the Parkway North

Parkway West/Downtown (the Parkway East backing up due to this?) If so exit at Glenwood, take 2nd Avenue, straight on Court Place, straight on Blvd of the Allies, left on Stanwix, to the Parkway West
I just wanted to take this opportunity to thank you sincerely for posting these shortcut tips. For some reason I never thought about using Second Avenue to 10th Street to McArdle to avoid that Boulevard of the Allies mess, but I saw this reply and then had to make a delivery from Squirrel Hill to Ulysses Street in Mt. Washington at rush-hour the other day. I took the route you suggested, and it shaved 15 minutes off of the drive. The only bottleneck was trying to cross Arlington Avenue via P.J. McArdle, as the short distance of McArdle between Arlington and the Liberty Bridge meant that very few cars could advance on a green light.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh