Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 10:02 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times

Advertisements

Thank you guys so much for helping us! I really am greatful....

So do you guys have to get agents to scout rental properties or do you just go buy a news paper and look yourselves?

When we lived in Jersey we had to hire an agent...Here in MI we did not...nor in Ohio...How would you suggest we go about this??

We plan to go to PA in June to find a place. We will be moving that month as well. Any tips on where to find places. I looked on Craigs List and there were a ton...anywhere else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 12:10 PM

919 posts, read 3,185,165 times
Some agents will help you find a rental for free, just ask...they get finder fees for that, SO ASK!

Old 01-07-2008, 03:27 PM

206 posts, read 688,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
The coolest part of the Slopes for someone with kids would, in my opinion, be the area bounded by 18th st on the West, Arlington Ave on the South, and Josephine on the East. There are some great views in that section, and it is a pretty family friendly neighborhood. There's always kids running around when I walk through there.
Having just moved away from Mt Oliver, and knowing a bunch of families who have recently moved away from the Hilltop neighborhoods because of the recent dramatic increase in violence up there, I would not go that far south or that far east. The closer to 18th and the further downhill the better, IMO. The upper and eastern parts of the Slopes are still kind of dodgy and there's no telling whether they will continue to improve or slide downhill with the hilltop.

Old 01-07-2008, 04:53 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,553,586 times
HUH? OK...I am now lost. LOL

Old 01-07-2008, 05:25 PM

511 posts, read 1,937,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
Thank you guys so much for helping us! I really am greatful....

So do you guys have to get agents to scout rental properties or do you just go buy a news paper and look yourselves?

When we lived in Jersey we had to hire an agent...Here in MI we did not...nor in Ohio...How would you suggest we go about this??

We plan to go to PA in June to find a place. We will be moving that month as well. Any tips on where to find places. I looked on Craigs List and there were a ton...anywhere else?
I think you get alot of piece of mind by doing it yourself. Drive the areas, write down things you are looking for and will or will not accept.

Old 01-20-2008, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,224 times
Default Shadyside

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Danielle* View Post
My name is Danielle and I will be moving to Pittsburgh in a couple of months...I will be renting. I am looking for some good neighborhoods to rent in. I have 2 little girls so it must be family friendly...
I am looking for townhouses in a cute little trendy neighborhood with a lot of interesting stuff to do...

Can anyone help me?

Danielle

ETA...I have found something cute in McKees Rocks. Is that a good one or no? Give it to me straight up.

We live in Michigan, so I will give you a comparative. Shadyside is like Grosse Point Farms. Downtown area (walkable), mixture of elegant established homes and apartments. Traffic like Birmingham, however, unlike Birmingham, Shadyside feels authentic and there is a wonderful mix of religions. My sister lived there while going to school and loved Shadyside. You may find a duplex available. Not the duplex of todays standards but a home with two sides. If that makes any sense. I will ask my sister for more info.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:36 PM

4 posts, read 23,453 times
Default Consider Aspinwall....

Consider Aspinwall - directly next to the Highland Park Bridge. 20-25 min drive to Magee with traffic (15 without traffic). Outside of city boundary (no city wage tax). Fox Chapel school district. Next to Waterworks shopping center. Very family friendly - (For Halloween you need to be ready for 300 kids...)

Welcome to Aspinwall PA and the Aspinwall Chamber of Commerce - Pittsburgh PA (http://www.aspinwallpa.com/default.asp - broken link)

There is a townhouse community with a pool at the top of Aspinwall - I think all private units individually leased. Everything else is in converted 100-year-old houses.

Old 02-01-2008, 07:01 PM

221 posts, read 752,017 times
With two little girls, I'd be a little more leery of South Side.

If you want green space to get out to consider living near three great parks: Schenley, Highland, and Frick--near neighborhoods mentioned before: Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Highland Park, Point Breeze, Regent Square. Friendship is also family friendly and you can be in Oakland in ten minutes and catch buses all over the city from all of these areas.

Aspinwall is nice, too but further out. More burbs than urban vibe.

If your girls will be in school while here, Minadeo is a good elementary school in Squirrel Hill. Linden and Friendship are also good schools, but magnets, I think.

All the best!

Old 04-21-2008, 03:46 PM

2 posts, read 5,591 times
Default Nice Neighborhood To Live In

I don't know if you looked in the Edgewood area. It's a nice area to live in and is pretty reasonable as far as pricing goes. It's also about 15 to 20 minutes from Oakland.

controlyourownsuccess.com

Last edited by dgibz; 04-21-2008 at 03:59 PM..

Old 04-21-2008, 04:45 PM

1,349 posts, read 3,574,467 times
Southside is a little grungy compared to some of the other areas mentioned. Not neccesarily a bad thing... in some ways its actually part of the area's charm, but it wouldn't be my first pick personally compared to the other placed discussed.

I'll put a plug in for the north hills subburbs as well. We live in Ross, I work in Oakland. Commute is 25-30 minutes during rush hour. Schools are good, area is as safe as anywhere is these days, no city wage tax, etc. It isn't a walkable type of neighborhood however there is still plenty to do and it is located within an easy drive of all the stuff Pittsburgh has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh