Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 09:05 AM

15 posts, read 16,096 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My significant other will be moving to Pittsburgh for grad school for 3 years, and I will be moving with them. We've done research on neighborhoods that are good/convenient to campus, the public transit situation, etc. The only thing we couldn't find was lots of reliable info on was the food and entertainment scene. How will the restaurant, bar, lounge, and music venue scene be compared to Chicago? I know Pittsburgh is much smaller, so I wouldn't expect the same volume of places to go, but what and where are the places to be? The only info we have found are stories (good and bad) about the Southside and East Carson St. Reading the descriptions, it seems like my life in college. We've visited Pittsburgh twice, but were always too busy to do much nightlife stuff or go to more than one or two restaurants (and the ones we went to were out of convenience, they weren't sought out). Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 09:16 AM

3,462 posts, read 4,652,702 times
Check out the Foodies thread on this forum. I don't know much about the music and nightlife scene here, but Pittsburgh does have a lot of restaurants and chefs doing new and interesting menus. But it is much smaller than Chicago so don't expect the quantity of choices that you are used to. There are not nearly as many ethnic restaurants as compared to other cities. I moved here recently from San Francisco and have found it difficult to adjust to the lack of Asian, Mexican, and Central American options as compared to the Bay Area.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:27 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,893,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenemies View Post
Hello!

My significant other will be moving to Pittsburgh for grad school for 3 years, and I will be moving with them. We've done research on neighborhoods that are good/convenient to campus, the public transit situation, etc. The only thing we couldn't find was lots of reliable info on was the food and entertainment scene. How will the restaurant, bar, lounge, and music venue scene be compared to Chicago? I know Pittsburgh is much smaller, so I wouldn't expect the same volume of places to go, but what and where are the places to be? The only info we have found are stories (good and bad) about the Southside and East Carson St. Reading the descriptions, it seems like my life in college. We've visited Pittsburgh twice, but were always too busy to do much nightlife stuff or go to more than one or two restaurants (and the ones we went to were out of convenience, they weren't sought out). Thanks in advance.
Southside/carson st would be kind of like a Rush St. maybe?

I personally love the area as it has every amenity within walking distance, lots of restuarants & retail to choose from (most non chains), good transportation links, safe, & a nice number of running trails/parks & good river access with the new marina they're putting in.

The negatives are that you have to be cognizant that it's the most popular nightlife area & thus fri & sat nights will get very crowded & loud on Carson St & to a lesser extent Sarah St & on street parking will be at a premium. It's also expensive housing wise compared to many other neighborhoods.

So long as you area not on these streets (besides the parking) you don't really notice the rowdiness, but it's never going to be as quiet of a neighborhood compared to many others.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:33 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,701,144 times
What kind of nightlife are you into, specifically?

Old 12-03-2014, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Southside/carson st would be kind of like a Rush St. maybe?

I personally love the area as it has every amenity within walking distance, lots of restuarants & retail to choose from (most non chains), good transportation links, safe, & a nice number of running trails/parks & good river access with the new marina they're putting in.

The negatives are that you have to be cognizant that it's the most popular nightlife area & thus fri & sat nights will get very crowded & loud on Carson St & to a lesser extent Sarah St & on street parking will be at a premium. It's also expensive housing wise compared to many other neighborhoods.

So long as you area not on these streets (besides the parking) you don't really notice the rowdiness, but it's never going to be as quiet of a neighborhood compared to many others.
Gotcha. Rush Street usually draws an older crowd and a lot of tourists, and isn't really that rowdy. You'll find more rowdiness in parts of Lakeview after a Cubs game. You obviously know better than I, but Carson seems to be more of a college crowd from what I've gathered. I will definitely still check out the area though for the stores and restaurant scene you mentioned though! We are looking to Rent in either Shadyside, Point Breeze or Squirrel Hill, since based on our research it seemed to be good fits for a mid/late-20s couple with one going to grad school in Oakland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronPGH View Post
What kind of nightlife are you into, specifically?
Depends on the mood, haha. We have a pretty broad range of interests. We actually met at a punk show at the Empty Bottle in Chicago years ago, and still love going to little clubs like that to see shows (not only punk, but house, "indie"[for lack of a better generalization], etc.). We also go to bigger or mid-sized venues like Metro, Lincoln Hall, etc., but generally go to those to focus on a specific artists. We go to smaller venues to just sit down, have a drink, and listen to whatever band happens to be playing there that night.

We are fans of bars that have great food and good whiskey or beer selections. An example would be Longman & Eagle, Delilah's (not so much for food), or Hopleaf in Chicago.

http://www.longmanandeagle.com
http://hopleaf.com
http://www.delilahschicago.com

Basically, we enjoy bars that are focused on good drinks, conversation, and having great food doesn't hurt. We are not fans of bars that have 800 TV's with sports games on at all times just for the sake of having something on TV to distract you.

As far as dancing goes, clubs with interesting and varied DJ's who don't play your run of the mill Top 40 are what we enjoy. Examples would be Smartbar or Neo in Chicago.

smartbarchicago.com
http://www.neodanceclub.com

Less commonly, we enjoy an occasional cocktail lounge. Violet Hour would be an example. Basically intimate atmosphere with really quality craft cocktails where you can sit and relax in a quiet relaxing area for a few hours.
http://theviolethour.com

Sorry for all the links, but it may be easier to get a vibe for the type of places we enjoy.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:51 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,999,284 times
Can't speak to clubs. But bars with solid beer/whiskey selections and good food, no problem - plenty of 'em here.

As Goodjules noted, ethnic is not a strong point. There are exceptions. But you're not gonna find Rick Bayless quality Mexican here nor much good mom & pop homestyle (IMO, Chicago is better for Mexican than LA, SF or NYC), nor great Chinese. There are decent taco joints, but only tacos. There are some good Sushi/Japanese and Thai places. We do have a Grant Achatz clone (Notion).

Pittsburgh's culinary strength is not authentic ethnic, it's innovative chefs doing their own thing - lots of farm-to-fork, localvore stuff, including beer/spirits. I come from the metro NYC area via Boston. Other than Mexican, I get by just fine in Pittsburgh. So will you, likely.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenemies View Post
Gotcha. Rush Street usually draws an older crowd and a lot of tourists, and isn't really that rowdy. You'll find more rowdiness in parts of Lakeview after a Cubs game. You obviously know better than I, but Carson seems to be more of a college crowd from what I've gathered. I will definitely still check out the area though for the stores and restaurant scene you mentioned though! We are looking to Rent in either Shadyside, Point Breeze or Squirrel Hill, since based on our research it seemed to be good fits for a mid/late-20s couple with one going to grad school in Oakland.
Then I must have Rush St mixed up with somewhere else (I love chicago but usually only get to visit for business purposes which limits the going out at night).

Overall southside is an odd mix of students renting, young professionals buying, & seniors who've lived there forever.

Of the three others you mentioned I'd probably choose shadyside.

Old 12-03-2014, 11:56 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,246,964 times
Independent Brewing Company and Everyday Noodles are justification enough for us to live in Squirrel Hill.

And getting to CMU/Pitt is a piece of cake from that area.

I'm also a bit of a fan of the Urban Tap in Mr UKYank's part of town

Old 12-03-2014, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gortonator View Post
I'm also a bit of a fan of the Urban Tap in Mr UKYank's part of town
Next time your around, check out the newish Carmella's Plates & Pints. Excellent beer & whiskey selection & their food is top notch (nice atmosphere too). Very happy for it's addition to the area.

Old 12-03-2014, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
Can't speak to clubs. But bars with solid beer/whiskey selections and good food, no problem - plenty of 'em here.

As Goodjules noted, ethnic is not a strong point. There are exceptions. But you're not gonna find Rick Bayless quality Mexican here nor much good mom & pop homestyle (IMO, Chicago is better for Mexican than LA, SF or NYC), nor great Chinese. There are decent taco joints, but only tacos. There are some good Sushi/Japanese and Thai places. We do have a Grant Achatz clone (Notion).

Pittsburgh's culinary strength is not authentic ethnic, it's innovative chefs doing their own thing - lots of farm-to-fork, localvore stuff, including beer/spirits. I come from the metro NYC area via Boston. Other than Mexican, I get by just fine in Pittsburgh. So will you, likely.
Thanks! Any examples for the bars? We are Visiting in a month or so for apartment hunting, and would actually like to have some leisure time this time around.
Definitely sad to hear about the ethnic options though. Mexican and Chinese (authentic sze chuan/SW Chinese especially, Chengdu-style dumplings,etc) are some of our favorite go to's.
Really glad to hear that there are farm to table options in Pittsburgh, as we love going to those here in Chicago, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Then I must have Rush St mixed up with somewhere else (I love chicago but usually only get to visit for business purposes which limits the going out at night).

Overall southside is an odd mix of students renting, young professionals buying, & seniors who've lived there forever.

Of the three others you mentioned I'd probably choose shadyside.
Shadyside was our first choice too, just based on research.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh