Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 07:11 PM

36 posts, read 49,211 times

Advertisements

Im a 25 year old bio grad trying to find work... any work, in the science field. Not necessarily bio. I'm not looking for high end work or a well paying job or anything. Right now I'm just looking for some kind of temp opportunity to get started. I live in Cleveland right now but I want to move. No necessarily long term, I just want something different as i've been in NE Ohio my entire life. I would def consider moving back at some point as I really like Cleveland, but now's not that time.

I feel like I would love Denver or Seattle, as in general I prefer cold over heat, and I think the mountainous regions are beautiful. I like being outdoors hiking/running and Those areas would have a lot to offer. But I also feel like trying to move that far out without much work experience under my belt might be tricky... I don't really know how people go about moving that long of a distance without a job in place. So right now i'm looking at Buffalo, Columbus, Rochester, maybe Pittsburgh or Chicago. Also Indy, tho I really known nothing about that city. I'd want to live close to other people my age, and not knowing much about the city I don't really know where that is or where a good area to start looking would be. I have a friend that lives in Wexford. I hear its a more upscale area, and it looks it the few times i've been.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2014, 11:34 PM

20 posts, read 36,016 times
Pittsburgh is an inexpensive city and a good place to live. As a college student who lives in one of the most expensive areas of Pittsburgh, I have easily kept my costs at less than $10,000/yr for food, housing, and other expenses. The public transportation is decent enough for a city of its size, and there are definitely jobs here. There are a lot of startups coming out of the universities and work related to science and healthcare, in part because of the universities.

This is a great city and I highly recommend it as a place to live for a while. It seems like you are from Cleveland, which is where my parents live at the moment. There is a lot less snow here but just as much cold. I prefer Pittsburgh to Cleveland for many reasons though, including that it caters to people in there 20s very well.

If you are looking to live around people your age, you will probably end up in the Oakland/Squirrel Hill/Shadyside neighborhoods or down in Southside, depending on your preference.

Move to Pittsburgh. It is totally worth it.

Old 12-04-2014, 04:55 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
wexford is a suburb and I would not suggest moving there as a young guy looking to work in the tech fields.

Old 12-04-2014, 12:55 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
wexford is a suburb and I would not suggest moving there as a young guy looking to work in the tech fields.
So there's a weird a dynamic going on with employers right now. Many employers are looking for fresh young faces to enter their ranks because they haven't yet gained much experience, and, as such, can be compensated less handsomely than a middle-aged experienced career professional, reducing labor costs. Simultaneously these businesses want to site themselves in low-cost/low tax areas like Robinson Township, Cranberry Township, or Moon Township while that very same talent pool they are hoping to tap into wants to live in Shadyside, Downtown, Lawrenceville, South Side, etc. and live as close to sans car as possible. I've turned down suburban/exurban job offers since moving here. So have many friends. Businesses are going to have to adapt to the trend of urban living and pony up a bit more in rent/taxes to plop themselves down in the South Side Works or Strip District vs. the boonies if they don't want to lose their best and brightest minds and be stuck with paying more for those middle-aged career professionals who DO live in those exurban areas so their kids won't have to go to public schools with socioeconomically disadvantaged black kids (I know I'm blunt, but I don't care).

Old 12-04-2014, 01:07 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
I know plenty of people that live in the city, including Lawrenceville who commute to Robinson or Cranberry for work. Most people try to strike a balance between needs and wants...the need for gainful employment in a field they can succeed in, and the want to live in the city. Some put the effort into the commute, others give up and move closer to the job. Other give up the job, and look for something closer to home, however that oftentimes results in not being able to really afford the lifestyle that you want to enjoy in the neighborhood you are unwilling to comprise on.

I really think you underestimate most peoples desire to be gainfully employed in a job that they went to school for and to start building a strong resume and a career. As much as you may not agree, and my find it disheartening, the ability to pay ones bills is much more important than the ability to walk to Gooski's once a week.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:34 PM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
Just anecdotally, I know of I think three companies that in the past few months have moved downtown from the burbs, or consolidated their suburban office into a pre-existing downtown office. These aren't major FedEx Ground-level employers or anything, but they are technology-oriented small-to-mid-sized firms, and I think it may be the start of a trend for companies looking to attract younger, tech-oriented workers and have something extra to offer them in the quality-of-life department.

Old 12-04-2014, 01:38 PM

4,918 posts, read 6,472,115 times
I couldn't live in Pittsburgh and deal with Steelers fans for 365 days a day, that would be a nightmare, they are worse than Kentucky basketball die hard guy and Alabama football die hard combined lol

Old 12-04-2014, 02:00 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrrs89 View Post
Im a 25 year old bio grad trying to find work... any work, in the science field. Not necessarily bio. I'm not looking for high end work or a well paying job or anything. Right now I'm just looking for some kind of temp opportunity to get started. I live in Cleveland right now but I want to move. No necessarily long term, I just want something different as i've been in NE Ohio my entire life. I would def consider moving back at some point as I really like Cleveland, but now's not that time.

I feel like I would love Denver or Seattle, as in general I prefer cold over heat, and I think the mountainous regions are beautiful. I like being outdoors hiking/running and Those areas would have a lot to offer. But I also feel like trying to move that far out without much work experience under my belt might be tricky... I don't really know how people go about moving that long of a distance without a job in place. So right now i'm looking at Buffalo, Columbus, Rochester, maybe Pittsburgh or Chicago. Also Indy, tho I really known nothing about that city. I'd want to live close to other people my age, and not knowing much about the city I don't really know where that is or where a good area to start looking would be. I have a friend that lives in Wexford. I hear its a more upscale area, and it looks it the few times i've been.

I think Pgh could be a good fit, but career wise I am not going to be able to give any advice as I work in finance. However, my only advice I will give is that being young and starting out, you will want to mind your expenses in regards to rent and other related costs. I moved to Pgh 11 years ago, and moved into the best apt in the best neighborhood I could afford, and honestly it wasnt much fun. Yeah perfect location, great apartment...barely any fun. If I was starting over at your age, I would try to position myself in a safe area, but a cheaper maybe not so trendy area that will allow you to actually live and experience Pittsburgh rather than just survive in it.

Old 12-04-2014, 02:23 PM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I know plenty of people that live in the city, including Lawrenceville who commute to Robinson or Cranberry for work. Most people try to strike a balance between needs and wants...the need for gainful employment in a field they can succeed in, and the want to live in the city. Some put the effort into the commute, others give up and move closer to the job. Other give up the job, and look for something closer to home, however that oftentimes results in not being able to really afford the lifestyle that you want to enjoy in the neighborhood you are unwilling to comprise on.

I really think you underestimate most peoples desire to be gainfully employed in a job that they went to school for and to start building a strong resume and a career. As much as you may not agree, and my find it disheartening, the ability to pay ones bills is much more important than the ability to walk to Gooski's once a week.
Couldn't agree more. As people mature, they uncouple their needs from the lifestyle hype and figure out what's best on balance. If you're working full time or long hours, your priorities change.

Old 12-04-2014, 03:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
So there's a weird a dynamic going on with employers right now. Many employers are looking for fresh young faces to enter their ranks because they haven't yet gained much experience, and, as such, can be compensated less handsomely than a middle-aged experienced career professional, reducing labor costs. Simultaneously these businesses want to site themselves in low-cost/low tax areas like Robinson Township, Cranberry Township, or Moon Township while that very same talent pool they are hoping to tap into wants to live in Shadyside, Downtown, Lawrenceville, South Side, etc. and live as close to sans car as possible. I've turned down suburban/exurban job offers since moving here.

There are plenty of talented young people who have graduated college living out in Cranberry and Robinson, and like it there.

In many fields of endeavor, being out near the people in the burbs is a real advantage to the enterprise. Health care should be near the people, transportation firms, natural resource concerns, chain store outfits, all should be hq'ed a bit away from downtown congestion.

Don't assume that everyone has the same antipathy to the suburbs that you have.

BTW, its not middle aged folks, for the most part, who have children in school- that's mostly the business of young people between 23 and 45.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh