Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2014, 02:09 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
"Central Core": Downtown, Uptown, Lower Hill District, Middle Hill District

"East End": Upper Hill District (a.k.a. "Sugar Top" or "Herron Hill"), Bloomfield, Friendship, Garfield, Highland Park, East Liberty, Larimer, Homewood, Lincoln-Lemington, Greenfield (Including "The Run"), Shadyside, Squirrel Hill (Including Summerset at Frick Park and Duck Hollow), Regent Square, Point Breeze (Including Park Place), Oakland, Hazelwood (Including Glenwood), Glen Hazel, Swisshelm Park.

"North Side": Brighton Heights, Chateau, Manchester, California-Kirkbride (Including Calbride Place), Allegheny West, Central North Side (Including Mexican War Streets), East Allegheny (Including East Deutschtown and West Deutschtown), Troy Hill (Including Washington's Landing), North Shore, Marshall Shadeland (a.k.a. "Brightwood" and Including Woods Run), Spring Garden, Allegheny Center/Allegheny Commons

"North Hills": Perry South, Perry North (Observatory Hill), Northview Heights, Spring Hill, Fineview

"South Side": South Side Flats, South Side Slopes

"South Hills": Arlington, Allentown, Beltzhoover, Knoxville, Mt. Oliver, Carrick, Beechview, Brookline, Bon Air, Mt. Washington, Duquesne Heights, Overbrook, Banksville

"Mordor": Hays, New Homestead, Lincoln Place

"Allegheny Valley": Strip District, Polish Hill, Lawrenceville, Stanton Heights, Morningside.

"Somewhere Over There to the Left": West End Village, Crafton Heights, Esplen, Sheraden (Including Chartiers City), Elliott, Westwood, Fairywood, Greentree City, East Carnegie, Oakwood, Ridgemont, Windgap

^ Any takers?

On the North side, people say "North Hills" to mean places like McCandless and Fox Chapel, not the parts of the North side that happen to be on hills but are still part of the city of Pittsburgh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2014, 07:34 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
That new WTAE graphic is grating, and I'm sure they did it on the recommendation of their consultants. It's always been "North Side," "South Side," "East End," and "West End." Obviously, their consultant wasn't from these parts.

Old 12-08-2014, 07:52 AM

697 posts, read 778,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
On the North side, people say "North Hills" to mean places like McCandless and Fox Chapel, not the parts of the North side that happen to be on hills but are still part of the city of Pittsburgh.
Same with South Hills... I've heard people refer to Peters and Mt Lebanon and areas out that way as South Hills. The north and South Hills references go outside city lines

Old 12-08-2014, 07:58 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
That new WTAE graphic is grating, and I'm sure they did it on the recommendation of their consultants. It's always been "North Side," "South Side," "East End," and "West End." Obviously, their consultant wasn't from these parts.
There is certainly some quibble with the labels they apply but I think the use of the map and getting a better geographic sense of where things are occurring within the City is AWESOME. Personally, we on the "North Side" have always complained that, by using just that broad based descriptor for anyplace on this side of the river, the community at large thinks it's a much more violent, crime ridden area than it is. If all shootings happen on the "North Side", all parts of the North Side are equally burdened by the perception of violence.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:41 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
A new wrinkle in East Endedness:
File:Pittsburgh districts map.png - Wikitravel

More realistic:
Welcome to PittsburghCityLiving!

I always figured the East End started at the eastern border of Oakland.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:42 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimboPGH View Post
The neighborhood map on PittsburghCityLiving utilizes a designation of "central neighborhoods" that makes sense, although I would put Oakland and Polish Hill with the East End. The Strip, Uptown, and the Hill all are/were connected grid extensions of Downtown, and aren't really part of the East End fabric.
IMHO the map is just about right.

The East End really means, at least to me, east of Oakland, Oakland thus cannot be considered itself part of the East End, but I'll admit that North Oakland past Bellefield or so is more or less a transitional area, kind of the beginning of the East End.

Polish Hill is part of the Hill. It's just a part that was (partially) separated by Bigalow Boulevard, that happened to not become majority black. It was actually "rebranded" from being called Herron Hill to remind people that the area still had a white neighborhood. There is no reason other than bigotry to consider it part of the East End and rest of the Hill District not to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
Same with South Hills... I've heard people refer to Peters and Mt Lebanon and areas out that way as South Hills. The north and South Hills references go outside city lines
The term "Southern Hilltop" is widely used to refer to Duquense Heights, Mount Washington, Allentown, South Side Slopes, Arlington, Beltzhoover, Bon Air, Knoxville, Saint Clair, and Carrick.

Old 12-08-2014, 08:52 AM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
For whatever reason I have completely different standards when it comes to north and south. If someone in Beechview says they are going to the "South Side" that's fine to me, but it's a pet peeve of mine when one of my neighbors in Brighton Heights say they "send their kids to ATA on the north side" or that they "used to live on the north side before moving here."

I agree that "North Hills" definitely means outside of the city, but I have heard Brookliners and Banksvillers describe themselves as being from the South Hills. "Southern Hilltop" is another term used for a group of neighborhoods over there.

I think "North Side" and "West End" are the only terms that Pittsburghers use the same way the rest of the country does. East End's definition is debated for some reason, and South Side virtually always refers to the Flats or Slopes.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:06 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,896,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
A new wrinkle in East Endedness:
File:Pittsburgh districts map.png - Wikitravel
Well, SCR is sure to like it. And Eschaton already refers to 15217 as the Lower East End.

Old 12-08-2014, 09:11 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
For whatever reason I have completely different standards when it comes to north and south. If someone in Beechview says they are going to the "South Side" that's fine to me, but it's a pet peeve of mine when one of my neighbors in Brighton Heights say they "send their kids to ATA on the north side" or that they "used to live on the north side before moving here."

I agree that "North Hills" definitely means outside of the city, but I have heard Brookliners and Banksvillers describe themselves as being from the South Hills. "Southern Hilltop" is another term used for a group of neighborhoods over there.

I think "North Side" and "West End" are the only terms that Pittsburghers use the same way the rest of the country does. East End's definition is debated for some reason, and South Side virtually always refers to the Flats or Slopes.

Guilty....Brookliner who says they live in the South Hills....not on the South Side, and not Southern Hilltop...although maybe Second Southern Hilltop would be a better description....

Old 12-08-2014, 09:12 AM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
I very arbirtrarily refer to anything beyond the first hilltop in both Northerly and Southerly directions as being in the North or South Hills. My understanding of where the city limits are in those areas is foggy at best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh