Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 12:35 AM

119 posts, read 144,992 times

Advertisements

In the late 90s I spent a couple of weeks in Pittsburgh and feel in love with its beauty, its topography, its peculiar, even singular uniqueness. It seemed very different from most places I've visited (not a great traveler but Minneapolis, Seattle, NYC, Atlanta, a few others). I was stricken w/ the mountains, the tightly packed older housing perched on hillsides, the staircases I could barely use w/o ten breaks. The people were often nice.

However, at the time, it didn't seem to be best choice for someone in early 20s but that was sometime ago. In any event, Pittsburgh has always lurked in the back of my mind as place I'd eventually move to.

My main concerns are viability of public transportation. At the time, I found it extensive but profoundly confusing. I understand the state has gutted funding? Is still possible to be a non-motorist if one lives in inner core (downtown, near north? south side flats or even uptown or parts of hill district?) Using Google transit and PAT site, it seems possibly? maybe? Especially if I'm will to use the occasion cab or walk up a stair case or two?

By way of comparison, it's more or less possible in Minneapolis but not easy.

Back then I found it easy to meet people in both Minneapolis or Pittsburgh but now that I'm older....lol (probably moving w/ gf so that helps). Has Pittsburgh become a touch more cosmo? I don't need much because Minneapolis had become down right snooty with it—while remaining provincial. In other words, I don't need an army of entry level hipsters. Just want good bookstores, beautiful views, and good or at least serviceable transit. Low rent would help also; my present neighborhood in downtown Minneapolis averages just under a thousand.

How about good variety of lower price Thai, Korean, type restaurants?

Any remarks would be helpful. Of course the insights anyone that knows both cities would be great. But all thoughtful remarks would be greatly apprenticed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2014, 06:59 AM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
The Port Authority was recently given a cash infusion and has expanded some of the more popular bus lines, and is rolling out real-time GPS tracking for buses--which means you can now use smartphone apps to see when the next bus is coming as well as plan trips from Point A to Point B. But, we're still not NYC. We still don't have light rail or subway except for downtown and to the South. If you live North or East of downtown, you're taking buses. It just means you have to take that into account when looking for a place to live--and also realize that prices are going to be higher along well-used bus lines because that's a major perk (the universities here give all students, faculty and staff free bus passes, so the lines that run into Oakland, where the universities are, are very well-used, and the housing along those lines is in high demand).

You'll probably going to get people in here lamenting how unbearably hipster Pittsburgh has become but... trust me, it's not, really. Even the neighborhood that gets called out as "wall to wall hipsters" is still 50% elderly natives if you actually walk around the residential bits and see who is really living there. They own their homes (and will likely pass them to their children), they are not going anywhere.

What's your rental budget like? Rents have gone up quite a lot since the 90s in many areas East of downtown because of the universities and medical center (students and medical residents rent rather than buy, so you are up against way more competition as a renter than a buyer).

Old 12-24-2014, 08:17 AM

4,599 posts, read 6,720,168 times
Here a few thoughts on your concerns:

- The transportation in Pittsburgh has undergone major cuts from 2006 forward. There has been many struggles to make things better, but we are still not near the 2006 levels of coverage. You can get by as a non-motorist, but you will likely be confined to your part of town and not get to experience the entire city. Also you will never be able to catch a cab, Uber will be your best friend.

- Pittsburgh has become a bit more cosmopolitan for the better (slightly less insular), but at the same time the people have gotten colder in my opinion. People on this forum will dispute this heavily, but I've been to Minnesota and Pittsburghers are far harsher and unfriendly in comparison. But on the plus side we are nicer than NY, DC, Boston, Philadelphia etc.

- If you want low rent you'll have to live in a less desirable neighborhood. The days of cheapo rent in cool places have all but dried up. You'll likely be able to swing $1000 bucks for a one bedroom in a decent place, but don't be surprised when the property is dated/doesn't have a parking space/doesn't have washer and dryer hookups etc.

- There are a handful of good Thai places around the city, but Korean in the city isn't very good. You'll have to travel outside of the city for good Korean.

Old 12-24-2014, 08:51 AM

3,298 posts, read 3,892,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montymontage View Post
My main concerns are viability of public transportation. At the time, I found it extensive but profoundly confusing. I understand the state has gutted funding? Is still possible to be a non-motorist if one lives in inner core (downtown, near north? south side flats or even uptown or parts of hill district?) Using Google transit and PAT site, it seems possibly? maybe? Especially if I'm will to use the occasion cab or walk up a stair case or two?
Adequate but no progressive plans for the future.

Quote:
Back then I found it easy to meet people in both Minneapolis or Pittsburgh but now that I'm older....lol (probably moving w/ gf so that helps). Has Pittsburgh become a touch more cosmo? I don't need much because Minneapolis had become down right snooty with it—while remaining provincial. In other words, I don't need an army of entry level hipsters. Just want good bookstores, beautiful views, and good or at least serviceable transit. Low rent would help also; my present neighborhood in downtown Minneapolis averages just under a thousand.
The good news - Yes, you can meet people here easily. Couples do especially well. The bad news - One of pros for me relocating to Pittsburgh was the Midwest down home attitude. It is gone. The city is more East Coast hipster. Everyone is in a rush. The COL has skyrocketed. A one bedroom in a decent neighborhood will be over $1000. I know a family that moved here recently and is having sticker and housing stock shock with renting. Please do the research and have jobs before relocating.

Quote:
How about good variety of lower price Thai, Korean, type restaurants?
None.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:07 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Most of the decent Asian places are on the east side of town. You don't have to live in a bad neighborhood to pay under $1000 for rent. You do have to live in one of the less trendy neighborhoods. I am new to the area so I can only speak of the area where I live.

I live in Crafton, an older suburb just four miles from the city limits. We're roughly 7 miles from downtown Pittsburgh and a short commute west to Robinson and the airport. The busway makes commuting downtown relatively easy.

I checked Craigslist for Crafton rentals and just about everything was well under $1000: pittsburgh apts/housing for rent "crafton" - craigslist

Crafton is safe and friendly. I know other forum members will tell you about their neighborhoods and what you can expect to spend. I found this forum super helpful when I was researching Pittsburgh while living in San Francisco. Good luck!

Old 12-24-2014, 11:16 AM

778 posts, read 840,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Adequate but no progressive plans for the future.

The good news - Yes, you can meet people here easily. Couples do especially well. The bad news - One of pros for me relocating to Pittsburgh was the Midwest down home attitude. It is gone. The city is more East Coast hipster. Everyone is in a rush. The COL has skyrocketed. A one bedroom in a decent neighborhood will be over $1000. I know a family that moved here recently and is having sticker and housing stock shock with renting. Please do the research and have jobs before relocating.

None.
None? There's not much that Korean but there is plenty of Thai. There are two within two blocks of one another on Liberty in Bloomfield.

Old 12-24-2014, 11:41 AM

1,776 posts, read 2,698,378 times
There are quite a few good Thai restaurants. Korean I am less familiar with. But I've found these to be as good as any places I've been in other cities, and many of them are new to town:

Pusadee's Garden |
Nicky's Thai Kitchen
Smiling Banana Leaf

Not specifically Thai, but amazing:
Everyday Noodles (Taiwanese)
Noodlehead (Pusadee's garden's new fast-casual noodle concept)

sichuan chinese menu is dope at New How Lee: New How Lee | Squirrel Hill | Chinese, Asian | Restaurants

Incredible Japanese street food: http://teppanyakikyoto.com/

Old 12-24-2014, 11:43 AM

63 posts, read 76,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Teen Carl View Post
Here a few thoughts on your concerns:

- The transportation in Pittsburgh has undergone major cuts from 2006 forward. There has been many struggles to make things better, but we are still not near the 2006 levels of coverage. You can get by as a non-motorist, but you will likely be confined to your part of town and not get to experience the entire city. Also you will never be able to catch a cab, Uber will be your best friend.

- Pittsburgh has become a bit more cosmopolitan for the better (slightly less insular), but at the same time the people have gotten colder in my opinion. People on this forum will dispute this heavily, but I've been to Minnesota and Pittsburghers are far harsher and unfriendly in comparison. But on the plus side we are nicer than NY, DC, Boston, Philadelphia etc.

- If you want low rent you'll have to live in a less desirable neighborhood. The days of cheapo rent in cool places have all but dried up. You'll likely be able to swing $1000 bucks for a one bedroom in a decent place, but don't be surprised when the property is dated/doesn't have a parking space/doesn't have washer and dryer hookups etc.

- There are a handful of good Thai places around the city, but Korean in the city isn't very good. You'll have to travel outside of the city for good Korean.
I will also add that the "hipster" areas are contained to a few neighborhoods within the city limits, east end areas. And possibly the central area of the northside. Pittsburgh is still a majority driven older suburban metro and people not concerned with fancy lattes or bike lanes. The hipsters are in the minority even within the city limits.

The city limits have 300,000 people and 33 yrs old median age. Allegheny county's population is 1.2 million with a median age of 42 years.

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Thai Cottage on South Braddock in Regent Square is my favorite. Delicious!

1,106 posts, read 1,164,250 times
Hi Monty. My husband and I have lived in Pittsburgh for 7 years after moving around the country a few times. We are mid-30s and find it a great place to live.
Public transportation is okay if you have some patience. We live in Greenfield and work in Oakland, so we take the bus, walk, or cycle (my husband) to work. We are able to walk to a grocery store and only use our cars for 'big shops'. We use Uber sometimes and we have friends who don't own a car, but use Zipcars every once in a while. So you can get by without a car if you are strategic about where you live.
Any idea where you will work?
Asian food is in abundance here. There are some great Thai, a few good Chinese, and some decent Korean.
It is true that renting can be tricky here. It has been strangely cheap to buy, but fairly expensive to rent--again, depending on where you want to live.
I have only been to Minneapolis once, so I cannot compare the cities. But Pittsburgh has a lot going for it, and it seems to be getting better all the time.
Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh