Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:51 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times

Advertisements

I will not assume anything when it comes to parenting. Most parents have the best interest of their children in mind. The OP did state that her son fell in love with the city as well. Change can be a good thing for some. I am so happy that my parents moved to the city when I was a child. City life was a major adjustment but well worth it.

I live on the eastern edge of the city in a stable section of a not so stable neighborhood. During the fall / winter months I have a clear view of the entire east end including the tops of downtowns tallest buildings. The night time view is breathtaking. During the spring and summer months the view is replaced with a lush tree canopy.

My wife and I are raising two children (14/12) in the city. I am pleased with our decision. My daughter entered high school this year and both children attend magnet schools. I am pleased with the school and environment. The diversity (eco/socio) make up of the school allows kids from all backgroups to interact daily. My daughter is on the soccer, drill, and track team. She also is part of the Harriet Tubman womens guild in addition to modeling at the Pittsburgh Center For the Arts twice a month. My son plays football, basketball, and baseball. Both children participate in various youth organizations through our church. All of the activities listed are either through the school or easily accessible by foot or public transit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 11:31 AM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
My landlord's house on Rosemore st in squirrel Hill has an amazing view of the city. So yeah you can find the view you are looking for in a lot of places.

I have no advice on schools for you though. I hope you find the home of your dreams and that your son likes the change as much as you expect to.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:34 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
i am not trying to be smart, but what do you do if you cant get into the magnet school. i have a friend who's child went to a business school downtown, if he could not get in that he would have to go to Carrick high.

i am asking this out of curiosity, i am pgh school ignorant.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:36 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post
i am not trying to be smart, but what do you do if you cant get into the magnet school. i have a friend who's child went to a business school downtown, if he could not get in that he would have to go to Carrick high.
I think Aqua Teen Carl went to Carrick High, and look how he turned out.

Old 12-30-2014, 11:52 AM

778 posts, read 840,151 times
Well, with the magnets you get three choices, I believe. So even if you don't get into your first, there's a second and third.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:01 PM

994 posts, read 901,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Well, with the magnets you get three choices, I believe. So even if you don't get into your first, there's a second and third.
Are you guaranteed one of those choices? I know there are people who have quickly moved out of the city simply because they didn't get their magnet choice(s).

Old 12-30-2014, 12:02 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I can see the UPMC building and BNYMellon from my house in Brookline. It was even listed in the home description when the house was on the market. It’s not really a city view as one would imagine, but I can see downtown buildings from my house, so the views can come in really strange places sometimes....
I can see a slice of downtown from my house in Brighton Heights too, especially in the fall and winter when the trees don't have leaves. I think "views" like this exist all over the city, and there really isn't much of a price premium on it (if any at all). I'm not sure if these are the sorts of views that OP has in mind though.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:10 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy2073 View Post

i am asking this out of curiosity, i am pgh school ignorant.

I simply went down to the school board and forced my child in. There was no other option for my children. I refused to pay for private school.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:16 PM

778 posts, read 840,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainDewGuy View Post
Are you guaranteed one of those choices? I know there are people who have quickly moved out of the city simply because they didn't get their magnet choice(s).
No, there's no guarantee. But it's better odds than just one choice and you also get extra points towards your place in the lottery if you live in certain feeder zones, or are on free and reduced lunch, etc....

Old 12-30-2014, 12:18 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,393,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
I simply went down to the school board and forced my child in. There was no other option for my children. I refused to pay for private school.
that is my question, are the base schools bad or are the magnet schools so much better? i thought with the propel schools opening up there would be more choices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh