Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2015, 02:28 PM

225 posts, read 323,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by speagles84 View Post
<Avoiding the race converstation>

Buddy, 2000 was 15 years ago. FIFTEEN
Buddy, that's why I said "traditionally", as in context the the past.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2015, 06:46 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,729,877 times
As with any thread that touches race and/or ethnicity, since very few people seem to be able to actually discuss these topics, I feel I have to remind you all to remain calm and respectful.
Yac.

Old 01-05-2015, 12:22 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
OP, I'll bite:

1) Are their any recommendations for certain areas to look for apartments?
Since you're working in the North you'll be going against the grain of traffic for the most part. If I were you I'd stick to the North Hills or even the North Side of Pittsburgh with its oodles of distinct neighborhoods that offer both rentals and pretty affordable realty.

2) What kind of outdoor activities (hiking, skiing, etc.) does Pittsburgh have to offer?
Take your pick, we may not have peaks over 3000' but there are about a half dozen ski resorts within a reasonable drive of the burgh. Summer has hiking, cycling, rowing/canoeing/kayaking, fishing, climbing, there's plenty to do outside.

3) Is the Night life exciting or dull?
Dull, if your idea of club life is partying with 20 somethings on smartphones you may dig it, I myself like the smaller hole in the wall bars. I'd say night life here is more about drinking and less about dancing etc.

4) how is the cultural diversity in Pittsburgh?
Hard to say, it's getting better? I am seeing more open minded people over the last so many years, Pittsburgh is very insular. I don't see any real problems regarding cultural diversity in the city and immediate surroundings, get 20 miles out of the burgh and it's Pennsyltucky.

Good luck!

Old 01-05-2015, 10:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jea6321 View Post
where are you coming from and what type of neighborhood do you prefer?

Ill assume you are younger and just graduating from college. If this is true I would for sure suggest living in the city proper. Places that would be an easy commute and have a bunch of options for a young professional would be most of the north side, Southside flats, mt washington.

any idea what your budget for rent will be?

I am coming from Raleigh, NC. Ill be graduating from college next may and will be 22 years old. I have been looking at living in the northern part of Pittsburgh but I have plenty of time to decide.

My budget I will put a cap at $825.00-$850.00.

Old 01-06-2015, 04:48 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
I think it's fair to say that, racially, the city of Pittsburgh is reasonably diverse, and Allegheny County is somewhat less diverse, but minorities are not non-existent by any means. The six outlying metropolitan counties are all lily-white. In other words, the closer you get to the city, the more racially diverse it becomes, and the farther you get from the city, the less diverse it becomes.

It's worth noting that the economic calamity of the 1970s and 1980s basically delayed Pittsburgh's racial diversification by about 20 years, because it happened at exactly the same time that immigration laws in the United States were reformed. As a result, Pittsburgh largely missed out on the first waves of immigrants from Asia and Latin America, and thus, there were fewer networks of immigration into the region. To put it more simply, immigrants go where they know, and they didn't know Pittsburgh until very recently.

The foreign-born share of population in the United States bottomed out in 1970, but in Pittsburgh it bottomed out in 1990 because of the economic collapse of the 1970s and 1980s. As a result, it's been playing "catch-up" since in terms of racial diversity, though changes have started to become obvious in the last 10 years. Allegheny County is where most of the action is. It contains 52% of the metropolitan area's total population, but 60% of the college-educated population, and 78% of the non-white population.

Old 01-06-2015, 05:48 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nas50 View Post
I am coming from Raleigh, NC. Ill be graduating from college next may and will be 22 years old. I have been looking at living in the northern part of Pittsburgh but I have plenty of time to decide.

My budget I will put a cap at $825.00-$850.00.
how much nightlife do your prefer? Do you want to be able to walk to lots of places from your home?
would your prefer a more gritty city feel neighborhood, or a more suburban type atmosphere?

for 850 you can find a pretty nice 1 bedroom in all the areas I mentioned ( thats not including utilities though)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh