Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 10:28 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,099,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBD View Post
Thanks everyone!
We are looking for housing with a budget between 200-the low 300's

I love and prefer old houses but don't want a fixer upper after such a big move! (we just rehabbed a 115 year old farm house in the city-- selling it will fund the move--if all goes well

My husband is the beer and spirits buyer for Whole Foods (but we know there are some odd restrictions in Pittsburgh-correct?) and I am an artist and director of education for the National Veterans Art Museum (we are hoping to open a branch in Pittsburgh!)
I don't know if Whole Foods is selling beer here yet at this time, but definitely not spirits (nor wine). Would that be your transfer reason?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 10:32 AM

778 posts, read 841,875 times
All of Pennsylvania has liquor control laws that keep alcoholic beverages out of grocery stores (most of the time--every now and then someone wins permission to be an exception, but it's rare and often short-lived). All wine and spirits are sold through the state Liquor Control Board which run their own stores. Beer is sold through beer distributors or by the brewries themselves (of which Pittsburgh has several of the small craft brewer variety).

$200k won't get you much in Squirrel Hill, but closer to $300k will get you a nice, modest home that might need some updating at some point in the future but won't be a gut-job by any means.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:45 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,099,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
All of Pennsylvania has liquor control laws that keep alcoholic beverages out of grocery stores (most of the time--every now and then someone wins permission to be an exception, but it's rare and often short-lived). All wine and spirits are sold through the state Liquor Control Board which run their own stores. Beer is sold through beer distributors or by the brewries themselves (of which Pittsburgh has several of the small craft brewer variety).

$200k won't get you much in Squirrel Hill, but closer to $300k will get you a nice, modest home that might need some updating at some point in the future but won't be a gut-job by any means.
Some of the Giant Eagle Market District stores sell beer now, as does the IGA in Oakland, and apparently the "Campus Bookstore" (NOT the Pitt Bookstore!) on Fifth, between Atwood & Meyran. I haven't been to Whole Foods in a long time, but I know they have a dining area, and that is required for beer sales in a grocery now.
Sales are through a separate cash register.

Old 01-21-2015, 10:46 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,545,589 times
Sort of a weird price point. The East End is sort of weird in that I think you really want to spend in the 300,000 to get a place that you like in a decent location.

Old 01-21-2015, 12:13 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,077,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBD View Post
Thanks everyone!
We are looking for housing with a budget between 200-the low 300's

I love and prefer old houses but don't want a fixer upper after such a big move! (we just rehabbed a 115 year old farm house in the city-- selling it will fund the move--if all goes well
Here's some examples of housing in that price range in Squirrel Hill.

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six

Bottom line is you can swing a house at that price range in Squirrel Hill which is move-in ready. However, due to the price premium for the neighborhood, the house is going to be on the small side.

You can get more for your money virtually anywhere else (except Shadyside), but you don't get the top neighborhood elementary school in the city.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:02 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,976,546 times
A co-worker told me that the Whole Foods in Wexford does indeed sell beer, and the new one they are building in Upper St. Clair will, as well. The East Liberty store does not.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:03 PM

6,601 posts, read 9,004,245 times
Yeah that's an in-betweener budget for sure. OP could get a non-fixer entry level home in a place like Squirrel Hill or top of the line in a place like Brookline. It comes down to if you'd rather be a big fish in a little pond or a little fish in a big pond so to speak.

While Squirrel Hill is going to have the most attractions as a neighborhood, it's also likely that a house in the 200's would be in a less walkable part of the neighborhood (but by no means "unwalkable").

Old 01-21-2015, 01:11 PM

778 posts, read 841,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Here's some examples of housing in that price range in Squirrel Hill.

One
Two
Three
Four
Five
Six

Bottom line is you can swing a house at that price range in Squirrel Hill which is move-in ready. However, due to the price premium for the neighborhood, the house is going to be on the small side.

You can get more for your money virtually anywhere else (except Shadyside), but you don't get the top neighborhood elementary school in the city.
Number 6 is the clear winner there. It's actually kind of making me wonder what secret thing is wrong with the place.

Old 01-21-2015, 01:28 PM

1,106 posts, read 1,166,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theta_sigma View Post
Number 6 is the clear winner there. It's actually kind of making me wonder what secret thing is wrong with the place.
Agreed. It has been on the market for 18 months!
I am incredibly validated to see that #1 is very similar to my house, but we paid $150,000 less because we live 2 miles southwest in (gasp!) Greenfield.

Old 01-21-2015, 02:57 PM

14,354 posts, read 17,077,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
While Squirrel Hill is going to have the most attractions as a neighborhood, it's also likely that a house in the 200's would be in a less walkable part of the neighborhood (but by no means "unwalkable").
There's basically two semi-affordable areas in Squirrel Hill. One is the nexus of rowhouses north of Forbes towards Homewood cemetery. That's where the first two houses I linked to are. Otherwise, the further south you go, the cheaper it gets. Still, this is more a function of the housing further south in Squirrel Hill being smaller than anything I think. Murdoch Farms isn't very walkable, but it's hella expensive, while sometimes you can find beat up rowhouses a block off Murray (or even on it) for under $200,000.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh