Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 11:51 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Schwabe View Post
Nope, read the whole thing. That was the reason for the North Side reference, if you read carefully. This guy sees a declining drug market in the North Side and new demand out your way. Facts are facts. I just hope this means the majority of it will begin to be confined up there.

Agreed - huge issues on the horizon for Cranberry. Who will think of the children?
Lol, I'm flattered that you think about me enough to post the info. And while one of the residences is in Cranberry it went down at Ross Park Mall, not Cranberry Mall, but please continue to scour the news and post any goings-on out here, though. It's pretty quiet all the time so a bit of drama breaks that up every so often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2015, 11:58 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
Hopefully not the Penn State coaching staff.
Oh those wins going back to Joepa was sure to stir up the soup, and while I'm not a PSU fan, and while the entire dealio is a disgrace, the present coaching staff isn't/wasn't involved.

Last edited by erieguy; 01-21-2015 at 12:22 PM..

Old 01-21-2015, 03:02 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Do people really think that drug activity isolated in certain areas? The Mall is one of the best places to perform drug transactions. Lots of people around and its safer for the dealer. Dealers are often times ambushed and robbed by users and fellow dealers.

My neighborhood was infiltrated by suburban white addicts a few years ago. The public housing development in my neighborhood complained and the drug task force responded. The addicts would then meet the dealers in the parking lot of our local Giant Eagle. Well Debbie (owner) wasnt having that. Penn Hills police cracked down on them almost immediately. My Giant Eagle is black owned and 95% of the staff and customers are black. White people sitting in the lot for extended periods of time looked out of place and suspicious. Finally the addicts decided to use the residential neighborhoods adjacent to the public housing. I came home one day and a mini cooper was parked in my neighbors driveway. I did not notice the occupants until I got to my door. I put my thumb up and gestured "get the eff out of here" and called police. Not sure of where the deals go down now.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:16 PM

1,273 posts, read 1,640,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Do people really think that drug activity isolated in certain areas? The Mall is one of the best places to perform drug transactions. Lots of people around and its safer for the dealer. Dealers are often times ambushed and robbed by users and fellow dealers.

My neighborhood was infiltrated by suburban white addicts a few years ago. The public housing development in my neighborhood complained and the drug task force responded. The addicts would then meet the dealers in the parking lot of our local Giant Eagle. Well Debbie (owner) wasnt having that. Penn Hills police cracked down on them almost immediately. My Giant Eagle is black owned and 95% of the staff and customers are black. White people sitting in the lot for extended periods of time looked out of place and suspicious. Finally the addicts decided to use the residential neighborhoods adjacent to the public housing. I came home one day and a mini cooper was parked in my neighbors driveway. I did not notice the occupants until I got to my door. I put my thumb up and gestured "get the eff out of here" and called police. Not sure of where the deals go down now.
I worked in the drug treatment field in the city, Butler, and Cranberry. Biggest difference is the white (particularly more affluent) kids got off easier when arrested and their parents, as a whole, complained, enabled like crazy, and we're constantly making demands or interfering with treatment. The poorer ( both black and white) had so much difficulty seeing any hope for themselves.

Old 01-21-2015, 03:27 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,989,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobick View Post
Awesome Sauce
Julie?

Old 01-21-2015, 03:38 PM

2,269 posts, read 3,801,854 times
Quote:

Drug abuse tends to have a black, or a trashy white face, but most studies have shown that it consistently cuts across all racial, ethnic, and economic classes, at a pretty consistent level.
Drug dealing at the retail level tends to be concentrated in poor areas because many more residents in those areas are willing to take the risks of low level drug dealing, for a relatively small amount of money. As you go up the chain of command, and the money gets larger, you will begin to have people from more affluent areas who are willing to take a risk. Not many youths from Mt. Lebanon are willing to risk their future for a few thousand dollars, but many from the Hill will. This is because a youth in Mt. Lebanon is much more likely to be provided with "fun money" from his parents, than a kid from the Hill is. Also, the kid from Mt. Lebanon is much more likely to have faith in the future. He is surrounded by successful people, he knows he can be successful, and is expected to be so, and doesn't want to risk that for chump change. The kid from the Hill is surrounded by failure. Those who succeed tend to move away. This kid has no expectations of success, didn't take school seriously, and doesn't feel he's risking much, because he doesn't really see himself in the future. He sees other guys who are in the game, having sex with hot women, driving flashy cars, and having money. For many, it's an easy choice, and they don't wake up and see the folly in it until they're 35, and doing 20 years. They then try to talk to the next generation, who views them as "corny old heads", who don't know nothing. Of course in 20 years, they'll be the "corny old heads", provided they survive.

Of course when you get to the middle, and upper levels of the drug game, more people from affluent areas are willing to participate because they view the tens, and hundreds of thousands of dollars to be made as "life altering", and worth the risk. Most won't be sucked in, but a few will be.

Old 01-21-2015, 04:27 PM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Suburban kids do more drugs than city kids. When I was younger there was weed and thats it. Suburban kids did it all.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:35 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Suburban kids do more drugs than city kids. When I was younger there was weed and thats it. Suburban kids did it all.
I never lived in the suburbs as a kid. So I was pretty much nonplussed in my college years when I found very bright, smart, optimistic, happy kids from the better neighborhoods did LSD and various synthetic drugs in high school. One girl, a beautiful, smart female from Squirrel HIll, said "I couldn't imagine high school without going to class high - it would have been so boring".

I guess as I was exposed to people of other backgrounds, I realized I was pretty naive - I could not believe it, since in my personal experience, the drug abuse I saw was with some pretty down and out people - not young, rather affluent whites. It was, I thought, only for those who gave up on life, not for kicks because school was dull!

Old 01-21-2015, 06:55 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
I shake my damn head when I see kids from upper-middle-class backgrounds doing drugs, and especially selling drugs. Their parents are probably too busy making money to raise their kids right, and their kids probably started dabbling in drugs because they thought it made them badass.

Upper-middle-class suburbs are a jarring dichotomy. People who live there are either salt of the earth or scum of the earth, and there's very little in between. At least sociopaths who grew up poor have somewhat of an excuse. Sociopaths who grew up comfortably have none at all.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:04 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,918,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
I shake my damn head when I see kids from upper-middle-class backgrounds doing drugs, and especially selling drugs. Their parents are probably too busy making money to raise their kids right, and their kids probably started dabbling in drugs because they thought it made them badass.

Upper-middle-class suburbs are a jarring dichotomy. People who live there are either salt of the earth or scum of the earth, and there's very little in between. At least sociopaths who grew up poor have somewhat of an excuse. Sociopaths who grew up comfortably have none at all.
Do you shake it side to side when it is an upper-middle class kid who is doing/selling drugs but shake it up and down when it is a poor kid doing/selling drugs?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh