Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2017, 11:45 AM

645 posts, read 1,543,468 times

Advertisements

I'd like an area that is semi-rural, even rural that is north, and NE of Pittsburgh. I'm familiar with Beaver Co, but not so much with other counties, as to what up to $150K will get. Would really like to keep the cost around $100k... I know that seems tough, but all I want is a small home (1200sf +/-, 2 BR/1 BA) that is structurally sound, be that a cabin, cottage, where privacy/peacefulness is key. Of course I want as low a tax cost as possible. It's just me, so no worries about schools, and I'm retired, so finding a job is not a concern.

Your suggestions, any links, or leads you could post, would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2017, 12:35 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,996,496 times
You should be able to find something since you are able to compensate for the "low" budget by getting a smaller house and not worrying about school districts.

For your needs, your best bet is probably just to contact a real estate agent in that area. You can cast a pretty wide geographic net since you're probably going to be making your decision based mostly on the individual property, rather than the neighborhood, schools, or commute.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:42 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,972,980 times
There should be hundreds, if not thousands, of smaller houses that would fit the bill in the area you are looking, which is pretty large. Once you get out of easy commuting distance to Pittsburgh, the prices are generally lower. Try looking on the maps on Zillow and refine your search to your needs. The houses for sale will pop up and you can take a look.

Old 03-31-2017, 01:52 PM

2,109 posts, read 2,162,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_F View Post
I'd like an area that is semi-rural, even rural that is north, and NE of Pittsburgh. I'm familiar with Beaver Co, but not so much with other counties, as to what up to $150K will get. Would really like to keep the cost around $100k... I know that seems tough, but all I want is a small home (1200sf +/-, 2 BR/1 BA) that is structurally sound, be that a cabin, cottage, where privacy/peacefulness is key. Of course I want as low a tax cost as possible. It's just me, so no worries about schools, and I'm retired, so finding a job is not a concern.

Your suggestions, any links, or leads you could post, would be much appreciated. Thanks a lot.
Texas, Florida, or Alaska...

Old 04-01-2017, 09:13 AM

645 posts, read 1,543,468 times
I have been doing the online search routine for a very long time, and a lot of it has been: I find what I really seem to like, but it has a pending, sold, or as if it never made it to be able to be seen, until listed as sold... Almost as if certain sites don't have all available homes, or a lot are sold never hitting the site? Also seems if you don't make an offer the first day or so, it's gone. I have tried realtors in the areas I might like, but aside from a very few, it has been very discouraging. I think when I tell them I don't want to spend $250,000+, then add what to them seems too many deal-breakers, they ghost. I have literally said on the initial work-up that I don't want XYX123, and the same day I will receive a dozen listings to view, where half have XYZ123??? I'm not talking esoteric minutiae; how about no corner lots, no shared drives, no taxes above $2k/yr, and those show up in the the listing links sent. I even had one fella tell me:

"You find some online listings you think you might like, and I'll be happy to show them to you".

WTF??? He never sent one link to any listings, just what I quoted above... Umm, the whole reason I thought I would hire you, was as I told you to anticipate new listings, maybe you knew a church member was going to sell the perfect place for me, tap into your valuable experience and lay of the land. You know, develop a situation where you knew exactly what I wanted, or the best it could be, where both mutually benefit. Dang, so you go to McDonald's and they tell you to bake the bun, fry the beef, assemble it... Oh yeah, and still pay full price.

To make their job easier, I send screen captures of homes I have seen on google maps, illustrating what I want, and yet the same non-congruent results happen... Good Lord, how about actually listening to what I say! I know conditions are pretty tough with seemingly low inventory and other factors; just the same my money is just as green (cash buyer to boot), and I feel like I am dealing with shady used care salespeople half the time, who want to do no work. I wish they would just say they won't work with folks on a $150,000 or less cash budget, and quit wasting my time. Yep, it seems as if I am venting, but it's no less the truth. *sigh*... I can't be the only one who has experienced this/feels this way???

Old 04-01-2017, 08:55 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,898,108 times
Kittanning.

Old 04-08-2017, 11:20 AM

1,952 posts, read 1,135,425 times
You do have to find a good realtor, they will do the work. My wife is a Realtor and I am licensed (just to help her as I have a FT job). What you are saying is not the norm, there are good realtors out there but sadly some start getting successful and don't want to be bothered with cheap deals anymore and some dont even bother with buyers. I'm not trying to push my wife, just mean find a Realtor who is more interested in helping people than getting that big paycheck.

I do alot of the research for my wife, there are plenty of 100-150k homes out there that would be potential for you. That said you are right, the inventory is low. If you find something, depending on the area, you need to act fast. Many are going under contract within days or weeks. no corner lots, no shared drives, no taxes above $2k/yr - that is still very broad for a realtor. Our searches don't allow those items so to generate a list means we would either needs more details on the area or specific home needs to narrow down otherwise it would be a huge list of homes to manual check those other items which is why they were likely sent to you to sort instead of that realtor.

You are right about the sites, they get their feeds from the MLS usually and that is a day or two lag on everything. Best is to find a Realtor you like and understands you so they can keep an active eye. Sometimes they hear a property will be listed well in advance (not often though) but at a min they will see it as soon as it comes on.

Old 04-10-2017, 10:26 AM

26 posts, read 27,003 times
check out hopewell. just bought an amazing house for 129k. Big yard, fenced in. back deck with a ceiling,fans, mood lighting....b+ schools

Old 04-10-2017, 11:25 AM

271 posts, read 332,618 times
Realtor.com is the best website I've found to stay up to date on listings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh