Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 07:37 AM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Who polices them? Why aren't the other municipalities upset that they have to pay for policing those that don't have police departments?
A lot of the smaller municipalities in that area, Sewickley Hills Borough, Emsworth Borough, Neville Township, Ben Avon Borough, Aleppo Township, Ben Avon Heights Borough and Kilbuck Township, all contract with Ohio Township for police services, and I'm sure there are financial considerations involved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 07:48 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
A lot of the smaller municipalities in that area, Sewickley Hills Borough, Emsworth Borough, Neville Township, Ben Avon Borough, Aleppo Township, Ben Avon Heights Borough and Kilbuck Township, all contract with Ohio Township for police services, and I'm sure there are financial considerations involved.
So, why then could this not work on a larger scale? Certainly there would have to be financial considerations as well?

Old 02-20-2015, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
So, why then could this not work on a larger scale? Certainly there would have to be financial considerations as well?
Nothing is stopping the Pittsburgh PD from offering services to the municipalities in the Ohio Valley or elsewhere right now.

although I think they have their own problems with civil rights lawsuits and the like.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Nothing is stopping the Pittsburgh PD from offering services to the municipalities in the Ohio Valley or elsewhere right now.

although I think they have their own problems with civil rights lawsuits and the like.
I don't mean just police. Seems to me that some merging of municipality functions is okay but others are not.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:00 AM

618 posts, read 692,400 times
and the surrounding police departments are certainly lily white and without fault and such.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:14 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
One of my coworkers lives in Edgewood. He told me a few years back there was a proposal to consolidate the Edgewood PD not with Swissvale, but with Forest Hills and Braddock Hills - essentially showing that class/color trumped concise geography and shared road grids.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
One of my coworkers lives in Edgewood. He told me a few years back there was a proposal to consolidate the Edgewood PD not with Swissvale, but with Forest Hills and Braddock Hills - essentially showing that class/color trumped concise geography and shared road grids.
Swissvale PD has had civil rights lawsuits but Braddock Hills and Forest Hills have not.

That might have something to do with it as well. I think the ethnic breakdown of Swissvale and Braddock Hills is about the same.

http://triblive.com/home/1999071-74/...#axzz3SIgIri1J

Old 02-20-2015, 08:53 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,034,992 times
Quote:
I think the ethnic breakdown of Swissvale and Braddock Hills is about the same.
The third might have been Wilkins Township actually, now that I think about it. I'll have to ask him.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:48 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Of course it makes sense to have fewer tiny governments and so many school districts. It would help with taxation and regional planning.
Who would it help? My taxes would likely increase dramatically.

And it would decrease control of services by local populations.

The only people that would be 'helped' are bureaucrats in a new regional administration and their clients.

Old 02-20-2015, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Who would it help? My taxes would likely increase dramatically.

And it would decrease control of services by local populations.

The only people that would be 'helped' are bureaucrats in a new regional administration and their clients.
But if the services are already farmed out to other municipalities, like Ohio Township police as mentioned above, the local populations have already ceded control, haven't they?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh