Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2015, 06:08 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,098,617 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Then why not leave the chimney open and rustic, exactly as they do upstairs?

Oh...maybe they routed utility vents through the front chimney? That's stupid (everyone knows you should use the rear chimney) but plausible.
They probably just had gas stoves, rather than fireplaces, especially upstairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2015, 07:26 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,893,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I of course can shave more off your estimate, but I have been around longer. You can shave off materials if you have contractor accounts. It is a pretty good savings. Also, I swing a hammer and a lot of other things when I do a home. The property looks like it has potential. Come on UK, go for it.
Unfortunately the new information I gleaned from the realtor on post #24 makes any such consideration moot regarding how it's listed & some odd string of ownership for the parcel.

Old 03-06-2015, 07:54 AM

14,354 posts, read 17,073,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
They probably just had gas stoves, rather than fireplaces, especially upstairs.
Even so, the "rustic" look of open, unfinished brick chimneys is in now. It only costs a few hundred to hire a bricklayer to deal with missing/broken bricks, and you can clean off the bricks yourself (provided you buy muriatic acid, and are comfortable working with it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKyank View Post
Unfortunately the new information I gleaned from the realtor on post #24 makes any such consideration moot regarding how it's listed & some odd string of ownership for the parcel.
There look to be several other gut jobs of similar price or cheaper on the North Side right now.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
There look to be several other gut jobs of similar price or cheaper on the North Side right now.
If you have some links to some Id appreciate it as I do like the idea of making a place how Id like if even if remodeling can be a pain & I'm sick of the amount of sh*tty flip jobs around that people want a fortune for. Thanks

Old 03-06-2015, 08:27 AM

598 posts, read 749,399 times
Quote:
The ownership history doesn't make sense either -
Presumably both addresses were bought on 9/16 for $220,000; given to the development co for $1 a week later then listed for $550,000 (or $225 a piece) now.
The guy who bought the building for $220K is doing some serious property flipping/investments. Allegheny county has two pages of mortgage activity on him:

https://pa_allegheny.uslandrecords.c...tname=iannotta

He bought the whole building from WYLIE HOLDINGS LP for $97K, which previously invested 30K in some interior remodeling:

Building Permits at 928 Western Ave, Pittsburgh, PA

Judging by the pictures, the budget was certainly not enough.

Then he gives it to a non-profit redevelopment co. Perhaps in part because property taxes on the unit doubled after the reassessment in 2013 and the non-profit doesn't pay property taxes.

Real Estate | Tax Info | Allegheny County

If Curtis is right on the level of real estate corruption on the north side, they will likely now sell the property and split the profits.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:29 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,098,617 times
Quote:
If you have some links to some Id appreciate it as I do like the idea of making a place how Id like if even if remodeling can be a pain & I'm sick of the amount of sh*tty flip jobs around that people want a fortune for. Thanks
Do you specifically want to live on the North Side?

and, unrelated: Heathside Cottage is for sale?!?

Old 03-06-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Looking back, a lot of the gut jobs are contingent now, but this, this, and this appear to still be available. Last one is in a semi-iffy part of Manchester though.

If you can get some of the tenants out, this could be interesting in Deutschtown. Looks to be set up as a three-unit now, even though it's legally only supposed to be a two-unit. Certainly it could be a sizable house, and given the age of it (newer for the North Side, looks to be built between 1900 and 1910 I'd guess) it probably had some quite nice original features inside.

If you're willing to look at Troy Hill, this might have potential. Not sure if you'd want to live above storefronts in the longer run though.

Old 03-06-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:

I wish I could get my mother interested in buying it. Heh.

Old 03-06-2015, 09:25 AM

Quote:

I really like that place, unfortunately I own too much crap & recently decided to get married to someone that owns too much crap

I'm not necessarily 100% set on the Northside, I just have this problem:
In the SouthSide now & can walk to work (downtown) which I've really grown to love being able to do so if at all possible would like to be within walking distance. Now I still like the Southside but hate 90% of the available housing, plus it might be king of the sh*tty flips neighborhood. That being said, we are leaning towards it.

Lawrenceville would still be ok but I don't think it's housing stock is much better than the southside plus it went from 0 to 100 in pricing overnight.

Northside, I do like a lot of the houses but geographically (cut off like it is) I feel it's always going to be lagging behind all the other nice & transitionally improving neighborhoods - not to say it's not nice now, but still has some sketchiness to it that I don't think will change much.

I could love the Strip but current housing is very minimal & the only thing anyone seems interested in building in the future are expensive condos (which while I'm sure are nice, I have no desire to live in a condo).

Rest of the East End I'm trying to rule out just because of where it's at.

Looking to spend less than $400K & probably keeping the place for a long time. Current place is about 1700sq ft so would like something larger.

Just started looking at places now so my ideas above could be wrong but for the time being that's my line of thinking.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:17 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,030,173 times
Quote:
Whoa! That is a great location, but that is too high. Howard Hanna has the reputation of listing super high and reducing, reducing and more reducing. They buy listings. In other words they tell a seller we can get you some wildly high price and then they will break it to you slowly to get their sign in place. It is how they have always done business for the most part. At least that has been my experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh