Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 05:20 AM

1 posts, read 925 times

Advertisements

The demographics do not work. Western Pa. Has aging population. This brings fewer births. Plus more people are dying then are being born. Most important though is the job market cannot absorb graduates so the young people leave. When you travel the country - Atlanta,Florida etc. - check out the steelers bars. Pa is. On the wrong track. We spend to much on education for other states. Other states reap the. Benefits of our education tax dollars and businesses will not move to pa because of unions and high. Corp. taxes. When our aging population dies and their. Children live elsewhere, their estates will be transferred to them out of this area. Our politichas to change. Texas is second most populist state Florida just became number three. Compar it to pa. And western pa. It. Is shameful. My neighbor's two just graduated penn state. Got jobs in Virginia. Will not be back. I am aware of many of these situations. FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2015, 07:19 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rch1942 View Post
The demographics do not work. Western Pa. Has aging population. This brings fewer births. Plus more people are dying then are being born. Most important though is the job market cannot absorb graduates so the young people leave. When you travel the country - Atlanta,Florida etc. - check out the steelers bars. Pa is. On the wrong track. We spend to much on education for other states. Other states reap the. Benefits of our education tax dollars and businesses will not move to pa because of unions and high. Corp. taxes. When our aging population dies and their. Children live elsewhere, their estates will be transferred to them out of this area. Our politichas to change. Texas is second most populist state Florida just became number three. Compar it to pa. And western pa. It. Is shameful. My neighbor's two just graduated penn state. Got jobs in Virginia. Will not be back. I am aware of many of these situations. FOOD FOR THOUGHT.
Hormones can help with your period problem.

Also, the dogwhistle phrase is "THINK ABOUT IT SHEEPLE".

Old 03-27-2015, 07:48 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
We're all aware of the dynamics at play. Well most of us. Some comment on the economy and the older demographics, but not how that is changing or the significance in migration changes in the last several years.
My comment above will be described as delusional cheer leading which it absolute is not. The region obviously needs stronger job growth, but you can't criticize the region and not look at the trends... not look at the deficit the region was in and where it is now.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:42 AM

52 posts, read 75,251 times
I think the death rate is already showing signs of catching up (slowing down?) to the birth + in migration rate in this region. Allegheny County has always been so "old", maybe older than some of the outlying counties, that it should begin this transition first and may have since the start of the century.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:53 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by king26 View Post
I think the death rate is already showing signs of catching up (slowing down?) to the birth + in migration rate in this region. Allegheny County has always been so "old", maybe older than some of the outlying counties, that it should begin this transition first and may have since the start of the century.
IIRC, the City of Pittsburgh itself completed this demographic shift some time ago, which is why (coupled with in-migraton from outside the MSA) the population has stabilized.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:19 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rch1942 View Post
I'm in my mid 20's and only two people of those I keep in contact with have moved out of the area so what's your point? Someone in my department moved here from NoVA because they hated it there so again, what's your point?

Old 03-27-2015, 09:44 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,585,894 times
I guess the point is it's better to get one of those crap $8/hr jobs than a professional exempt (non union!) salaried job here at $60k+. Some people are really annoyed that the steel mills haven't come back yet I guess.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:47 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,153,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
I guess the point is it's better to get one of those crap $8/hr jobs than a professional exempt (non union!) salaried job here at $60k+. Some people are really annoyed that the steel mills haven't come back yet I guess.
I want to move to the South for those plentiful $8 to $10 an hour jobs and then there will be all of that sunshine instead of these miserable clouds!!

Old 03-27-2015, 10:39 AM

4,240 posts, read 4,918,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I want to move to the South for those plentiful $8 to $10 an hour jobs and then there will be all of that sunshine instead of these miserable clouds!!
Did anyone see that thread gnutella started about Pittsburgh now being 15th in the nation for per capita income? Shows we are making some progress in the average wage column.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:49 AM

5,110 posts, read 7,139,842 times
Quote:
I guess the point is it's better to get one of those crap $8/hr jobs than a professional exempt (non union!) salaried job here at $60k+. Some people are really annoyed that the steel mills haven't come back yet I guess

There are legitimate concerns to be had and points to make. There is no need for tired old comments and straw men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh