Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:53 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
Walking along McKnight isn't for the faint of heart. Ross Park Mall has signs that say no pedestrians allowed.
Now that's crazy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 08:55 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
I'm just saying that it's a bit of a false argument to use driving against people living in Cranberry when your own carbon footprint is high. You can't have it both ways.
I can live with having a high carbon footprint if it translates to a lower carbon footprint overall. As I said if my driving 75 miles daily for work means twice as many driving miles were saved overall spread across a small group of people, then it's worth it. I think the point you were trying to convey earlier is that if not for me or our business everyone would just cook more, and the carbon footprint would be lower. I don't necessarily agree with that. It's more like those people would just hop into their cars and drive to the restaurants themselves for take-out.

Let's take Fuel & Fuddle as an example. It's a restaurant in Oakland many Pitt graduates recall fondly for cheap late night eats with friends. They have a loyal following. I personally am trying to eat healthier but LOVE their "rollafatty", which is a really greasy pepperoni roll appetizer. If I have a hankering for that rollafatty and don't feel like leaving the house, I'm not going to go to the grocery store and buy ingredients and then try to just make it myself at home. I'm going to pick up the phone and order it to be delivered promptly to my door for a nominal fee. If I wasn't able to get delivery I'd drive to Oakland and then drive back home. Realistically I'm not going to walk 45 minutes to Fuel, pick it up, and then walk home to have a cold and ruined rollafatty, nor do I like taking good-smelling food onto a bus and tantalizing (or annoying) my fellow bus patrons.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:02 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post

I'm planning to bring a similar business concept to another area soon where people have been crying out for it.
[...]
Sometimes people who love to cook are going to look outside at the rain, say "I'm not dealing with that to go to Whole Foods and pick up my quinoa", and will instead give us a call.
Is your "similar business concept" to go shopping for people and drop it off at their home? If so, will you be able to deliver a pint of ice cream to me before it melts? I'm 1/3 mi. from both WF and MD, a little farther from TJ's. Sometimes at night, I'd really like to have ice cream, but not enough to go out myself and get it.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:04 AM

598 posts, read 748,153 times
In SCR's defense, I do most of my shopping online with items delivered to my front door (never ever stolen yet btw). Lowering my carbon footprint by doing so never crossed my mind as I do it primarily out of personal convenience and cost effectiveness, but if it does in the end help the environment, that makes it even better. Delivery/shipping companies tend to be quite efficient with their logistics to stay profitable these days.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuburbanPioneer View Post
In SCR's defense, I do most of my shopping online with items delivered to my front door (never ever stolen yet btw). Lowering my carbon footprint by doing so never crossed my mind as I do it primarily out of personal convenience and cost effectiveness, but if it does in the end help the environment, that makes it even better. Delivery/shipping companies tend to be quite efficient with their logistics to stay profitable these days.
I'm a logistics manager, technically, since I often dispatch and oversee the fleet of drivers. Since we don't reimburse drivers for gasoline usage it's always in our best interest to minimize their extraneous driving. In terms of other companies I thought I heard somewhere that UPS (or FedEx?) instructed drivers to route accordingly to limit left-hand turns whenever possible to idle less and to be more efficient. Whenever someone tries to turn left from Morewood (towards Shadyside) onto Centre (towards Shadyside Hospital) my eye twitches because without fail it typically takes an entire light cycle for them to make the turn, creating more congestion (and idling) behind them. I typically will go down Baum and then make a right on Cypress (by Boston Market) and then a right onto Centre to get to a place like the Hillman Cancer Center because it's quicker and holds up less vehicles in the process (creating less wasted fuel from idling).

Old 05-05-2015, 09:21 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Now that's crazy!
The only reason I can see for the existence of these signs is that RPM never implemented sidewalks. Way to go Simon Group! There are buses that serve the mall but I guess you're SOL if you walk down from the apartments across the street from the mall.

Old 05-05-2015, 09:23 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Is your "similar business concept" to go shopping for people and drop it off at their home? If so, will you be able to deliver a pint of ice cream to me before it melts? I'm 1/3 mi. from both WF and MD, a little farther from TJ's. Sometimes at night, I'd really like to have ice cream, but not enough to go out myself and get it.
Jay, I understand that Forbes Gyro delivers ice cream, it's Hershey's and nothing fancy I expect, and I am not sure of their delivery area though.

Or, you can be like me and make your own

Last edited by doo dah; 05-05-2015 at 09:23 AM.. Reason: just a satisfied yugster customer!

Old 05-05-2015, 09:03 PM

1,164 posts, read 2,059,342 times
Quit dissing on Cranberry Township. It's saved several old communities - New Castle, Butler, Beaver Falls, New Brighton, Rochester, Ambridge. If it weren't for the employment opportunities in Cranberry, those towns would be almost gone!

Old 05-06-2015, 06:48 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,894,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Jay, I understand that Forbes Gyro delivers ice cream, it's Hershey's and nothing fancy I expect, and I am not sure of their delivery area though.
Thanks, doo dah. Hershey Ice Cream is pretty bad, as you surmise. It's what they used to serve at the old Klavon's. The new owner has switched to Penn State Creamery, which is a big improvement. You can get Peachy Paterno in Pgh. now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doo dah View Post
Or, you can be like me and make your own
There are two things I cannot own, or I would not fit through the door. One is a toaster. I could live on toast with butter and jam. The other is an ice cream machine. I would make ice cream every day, I fear.

Old 06-15-2015, 01:16 PM

145 posts, read 182,992 times
Encouraging article for those of us that hate the sprawl:

A New Study Finds That U.S. Sprawl Peaked Around 1994 - CityLab
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh