Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 04:52 PM

11,086 posts, read 8,545,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurangoJoe View Post
In the last 5 years I was there....I saw three stretches during the winter where the sun did not shine for 11,11, & 10 days. That's damn near two weeks. Check the post again listing the cloudy days. There is at least one 7 day stretch & one 14 day stretch listed as cloudy. No matter how you cut it, that's 1-2 weeks at a time.
How many years does it take to get that fine dried-out shoe-leather face out there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2015, 04:59 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,213,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
How many years does it take to get that fine dried-out shoe-leather face out there?
I've visited a lot of hot/warm climate areas and never noticed that to be a normal look in those areas. It was mentioned before here too but it's certainly not proven to be the norm. One can certainly see that look on someone that spends a lot of time in tanning beds here, however.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:03 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charisb View Post
The weather you love (tons of sun and little humidity) is some people's every nightmare. Like mine.
My hair and skin would be terrible. I would get tired of slathering on sunscreen and always looking for shade.
And I know I am vain, but I do not want to look like I am made of leather by the time I am in my mid-50s.

(And the OP was being facetious--the weather has been absolutely gorgeous here by most anyone's standards.)
Coloradans are a funny bunch!
I don't get why Westerners are so snobby about their weather. I actually enjoy having different seasons and rain and stuff like that.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:22 PM

6,358 posts, read 5,056,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
I don't get why Westerners are so snobby about their weather. I actually enjoy having different seasons and rain and stuff like that.
Honestly - the bragging about weather is ridiculous. I mean, if sun if what you want, the US offers many places where one can live with that advantage. Keep in mind: melanoma, severe water shortages, general tendency for more craziness that seems to coincide with warmer climates, in any country.

If you like changes of seasons, great, live in Pittsburgh. But of course, there are cons: miserable cold for weeks on end, etc.

It's all give and take, like most things in life. We are lucky in North America to have these life choices on actually choosing a climate in which to live!

(Edit - i was not saying mini-apples was bragging, but rather, the general boasting one may hear from floridians, coloradans, etc.)

Old 05-07-2015, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
Honestly - the bragging about weather is ridiculous. I mean, if sun if what you want, the US offers many places where one can live with that advantage. Keep in mind: melanoma, severe water shortages, general tendency for more craziness that seems to coincide with warmer climates, in any country.

If you like changes of seasons, great, live in Pittsburgh. But of course, there are cons: miserable cold for weeks on end, etc.

It's all give and take, like most things in life. We are lucky in North America to have these life choices on actually choosing a climate in which to live!

(Edit - i was not saying mini-apples was bragging, but rather, the general boasting one may hear from floridians, coloradans, etc.)
Now you're getting it.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:32 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,156,239 times
I don't care what anyone on here says, it's way too early for it to be this warm for days at a time and too early to having it be nearly 80 in the house if we do not turn in the AC.

Old 05-07-2015, 05:34 PM

Feels great. 88 for the next 4 days.

Old 05-07-2015, 08:10 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,968,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post

It's especially funny when Coloradans brag about their weather since it's only barely more temperate than the Midwest at best, yet they act like it's the Canary Islands or something.

Old 05-08-2015, 01:03 AM

14,186 posts, read 22,752,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-apple-less View Post
It's especially funny when Coloradans brag about their weather since it's only barely more temperate than the Midwest at best, yet they act like it's the Canary Islands or something.
The weather in Colorado is kind of odd, if you ask me. They have very sudden and extreme changes in the weather. I used to watch The Weather Channel a bunch back in the 1990s, and I remember Pueblo setting a record low temperature (52°) and a record high temperature (103°) on the same day. I also remember when the National Weather Service office in Denver issued a winter storm watch on a day when the high temperature reached 92°. The next morning there was 6" of snow on the ground, and temperatures didn't get out of the 20s that day. Then there was that afternoon sometime in the early 2000s when the temperature in Denver dropped from 64° to 46° in five minutes. And they seem to get more snow in October, November, March and April than they do in December, January or February. Then you have the tornadoes that move in odd directions (northeast to southwest, east to west, southeast to northwest, south to north), and the gargantuan hailstorms.

Even though the weather in Pittsburgh is a leatherface's worst nightmare, it's much more predictable from month to month, day to day, and even hour to hour than it is in Denver.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh