Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 07:07 PM

34 posts, read 44,428 times

Advertisements

Hey all! I'm gonna be in Pittsburgh for 5 days next week and I wanted some local's opinions on where to eat, what to do, and what to see while I'm here. I'm staying in downtown at the Doubletree for a convention, so most of my travels will have to be within walking distance. Also, I'm only 20 years old, so bars aren't an option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2015, 07:29 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Definitely make sure you walk around the Strip District! Basically from the DoubleTree you'll want to wander down the hill a block to Grant Street, turn right (the big U.S. Steel Tower will be on your right), and take this up about two blocks to a left at the light by the Greyhound Station (11th Street). Turn right onto Penn Avenue, and follow this up about 1/3-mile or so to the heart of the Strip District---markets, vendors, food carts, boutiques, restaurants, etc. It's a great "authentic Pittsburgh" experience, and it's about a 15-20-minute walk from your hotel. It's best on Saturday late-mornings. That's when it's most crowded, but I think the crowds add to the experience, and that's also when the most vendors will be set up to capitalize upon the biggest crowds. Be sure to walk up all the way to the Pittsburgh Public Market (near 25th Street) and then further up at the corner of 28th Street is Klavon's Old-Fashioned Ice Cream Parlor, which I believe has Penn State Creamery ice cream. For a good breakfast here check out either DeLuca's Diner or Pamela's P&G Diner (noted for their pancakes, which President Obama loves)! If both of those places are overflowing we've wandered over to Marty's Market (on Smallman Street, which runs parallel to Penn) for some good grub!

What are some more of your interests? I'm in my 20s, too (over 21), but I'm sort of the non-traditional younger person in that I prefer things like the National Aviary, coffeehouses, or art galleries over getting drunk on East Carson Street and having sex after taking ecstasy.

Old 06-26-2015, 08:02 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,267,438 times
The great thing about the Doubletree is that the building was built as an apartment houses, and most of the rooms have kitchens. If you like food, you can take a walk up to Wholey's, maybe 15 minutes for a youngun to 17th and Penn and buy a fish you've never eaten before, take it back and cook it.

Before you stop at Wholey's drop in and see the Holy Stairs at St. Patrick's across the street, they are a duplicate of the ones in Rome Italy which are the ones that Christ walked to his trial with Pilate back in the days.

Old 06-27-2015, 07:14 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,947,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
The great thing about the Doubletree is that the building was built as an apartment houses, and most of the rooms have kitchens. If you like food, you can take a walk up to Wholey's, maybe 15 minutes for a youngun to 17th and Penn and buy a fish you've never eaten before, take it back and cook it.

Before you stop at Wholey's drop in and see the Holy Stairs at St. Patrick's across the street, they are a duplicate of the ones in Rome Italy which are the ones that Christ walked to his trial with Pilate back in the days.
So you have a 20-year-old tourist buying and cooking a fish, and then visiting some church steps? You really know how to party!

Old 06-27-2015, 08:03 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,657,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
So you have a 20-year-old tourist buying and cooking a fish, and then visiting some church steps? You really know how to party!
Sounds like my type of guy!

Old 06-27-2015, 08:04 AM

778 posts, read 840,868 times
It really does depend on interests, though. We have so many museums, but if you don't care for museums, that won't be useful advice. If you're really into quirky folk history or architecture or whatever, it all just depends.

Old 06-27-2015, 08:13 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,777,141 times
Certainly walk through downtown to Point Park, which is where the rivers meet. Its an easy walk, you'll see the central business district, and it is a pretty cool view down at the Point. For a different view and a unique ride, take the T to Station Square and then take the Incline up to Mount Washington.

You might want to rent a kayak if the weather is nice - the hotel front desk should be able to tell you where to go for that.

For where to eat, tell us what kinds of places and types of food you like, then you'll get some good recommendations. One reco is Sienna Mercato, which will be near you and has a rooftop deck, among other options on the lower levels.

Last edited by _Buster; 06-27-2015 at 08:28 AM..

Old 06-27-2015, 11:22 AM

34 posts, read 44,428 times
I'm a big sports fan. I'm going to the Pirates game next Sunday when they're playing the Indians. As far as other interests, I really like live music; no real preference on genre as long as it isn't hip-hop/rap. To be honest, the church steps sound like a neat expedition, I'll probably drag someone else along with me so they can enjoy it too. As far as food, I really can eat everything. I'm not the biggest seafood guy, but if you tell me there's a specific seafood restaurant I have to go to, then I'll check it out. I'm big on Greek food; any good one's to go to? To be honest, if you name a place, I'll probably find something on the menu that I like. Thanks for all the solid answers!

Old 06-27-2015, 02:12 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,990,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eneq View Post
I'm big on Greek food; any good one's to go to? To be honest, if you name a place, I'll probably find something on the menu that I like.
Salonika's is a Greek place right downtown. It's a very casual restaurant but they have good cheap food that has a home-cooked taste to it. They have two rotating specials every day; so I don't know how helpful the online menu will be.

Nicky's Thai Kitchen is also really awesome. They have a downtown location, but in my opinion it'd be worth taking the T for free to Allegheny Station and walking to their Western Avenue location. Request the outdoor seating for sure if the weather is remotely decent. Take a walk down Lincoln and Beech a block away to see some awesome old homes if that's something that interests you.

S.W. Randall is a toy store worth visiting downtown. I think it's worth a visit even if you don't have kids to buy for. They have games and models and some decorations too. Eide's entertainment also downtown is gigantic compared to most comic shops if that interests you.

Old 06-27-2015, 03:53 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,895,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
getting drunk on East Carson Street and having sex after taking ecstasy.
Besides this being a very 90/00s thing to do, I don't see the downside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh