Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2015, 03:24 PM

814 posts, read 1,151,024 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/19/tr...urgh.html?_r=0

Whole lotta Lawrenceville...and isn't Salt closing soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2015, 04:39 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,524,460 times
I guess if you're not familiar with Pittsburgh at all it was an OK video to get the city in your head a little and want to further investigate. For someone very familiar with the city, it felt like a cheesy "look we are gentrifying too" commercial (with a restaurant that is going to be closed soon).

Old 07-15-2015, 04:45 PM

5,894 posts, read 6,886,191 times
They didn't make it very far for 36 hours

Old 07-15-2015, 09:00 PM

2,218 posts, read 1,946,667 times
It's like they found "New Brooklyn".

Old 07-15-2015, 09:48 PM

3,298 posts, read 3,894,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merge View Post
It's like they found "New Brooklyn".
Ha ha. Lawrenceville makes my skin crawl. It is now right behind Cranberry on my hate list at #2. What about the real Pittsburgh reads hipster?

Old 07-16-2015, 06:27 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Ha ha. Lawrenceville makes my skin crawl. It is now right behind Cranberry on my hate list at #2. What about the real Pittsburgh reads hipster?

What is the real Pittsburgh?

If you are referring to some blue collar, steel town thing that people pine over like it was the glory days....well that died 30 years ago. Maybe the real Pittsburgh is that wonderful time after the mills closed when everyone left? That surely was a blast. Maybe it is the Pittsburgh of 75 years ago when the skies were so dirty you couldn't breathe.

Everyone bemoans the hipsters, and transplants but quite frankly it's time to get over it. There is no way the changes of the past 5-10 years are going to be undone, because who would every really want to undo the changes that have happened in Lawrenceville? Oh that is right, those who are anti-bike, anti-progress, anti-anyone with tech jobs, and anti-those with money. The whole hating on this "new Pittsburgh" is basically being done by those that are not part of it. They hate those that don't help the city and they hate those that do help the city, but really just enjoy sitting there leaving well enough alone and bemoaning the loss of something that really has been gone for decades.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:45 AM

3,733 posts, read 5,968,698 times
Is it some mandatory thing that out-of-town media must refer to Pittsburgh as "gritty?" I prefer "rugged," but seems that every story, be it about Pittsburgh or McKeesport or Aliquippa, or anywhere in the area, they feel compelled to use the word "gritty." Not that it's not true in some places, but the word has been overused to death for over a century.

Overall, the story in the NYT was good, and I've had a lot of reaction from people who live out of town. A lot has changed in the last decade for the better.

Old 07-16-2015, 06:56 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeo View Post
Is it some mandatory thing that out-of-town media must refer to Pittsburgh as "gritty?" I prefer "rugged," but seems that every story, be it about Pittsburgh or McKeesport or Aliquippa, or anywhere in the area, they feel compelled to use the word "gritty." Not that it's not true in some places, but the word has been overused to death for over a century.

Overall, the story in the NYT was good, and I've had a lot of reaction from people who live out of town. A lot has changed in the last decade for the better.

I agree with the overuse of the term gritty, but rugged reminds me of mountains, so I am not sure about that one either. I just can't wait for the day when the memories of our grittiness have faded, and commentary about it is no longer the introduction to every story originating here.

Old 07-16-2015, 07:16 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,095,045 times
Previously:

Old 07-16-2015, 07:44 AM

618 posts, read 692,716 times
Sad that of the only two recommended hotels, one isn't even open and he missed the bike share completely. He could've seen so much more, but it reads like the author visited friends who were priced out of Brooklyn for the weekend and for the most part they didn't make it more than a few blocks from Lawrenceville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh