Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 09:43 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times

Advertisements

I was planning to meet a friend to go kayaking near the ballpark tonight, but it looks like the weather won't be cooperating, so we are meeting for a drink instead. I was thinking instead of being bummed about the bad weather, we could catch up on conversation by watching the skies, assuming the weather man is right and we get some severe storms this evening.

That brings up the question, where is a good vista to take this in without getting soaked? I used to have access to our office on the 23rd floor building downtown which overlooked the point, but we have since moved to cheaper digs. We're initially meeting in Lawrenceville, so somewhere in or very near to city limits would be ideal. If you have any thoughts, let me know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 09:49 AM

1,714 posts, read 2,359,577 times
Up on Mt Wash.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:08 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyKhalifa View Post
Up on Mt Wash.
Well, yeah, but I don't have a condo or house there, and getting soaked on the overlook doesn't seem overly appealing. Any specific recommendations where we could enjoy over a craft cocktail? I'm not up and up on what is up there these days outside of the traditional white tablecloth spots which aren't really my thing.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:24 AM

Ha, I gotcha.

My go-to recommendation up there is the Shiloh Grill, if it's nice enough to be on the Deck (under cover).

Old 08-03-2015, 10:36 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,959,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Well, yeah, but I don't have a condo or house there, and getting soaked on the overlook doesn't seem overly appealing. Any specific recommendations where we could enjoy over a craft cocktail? I'm not up and up on what is up there these days outside of the traditional white tablecloth spots which aren't really my thing.
Go to one of the many restaurants and bars on Grandview Ave.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
Go to one of the many restaurants and bars on Grandview Ave.
Yeah, over on that side I guess I'd say the Grandview Saloon (though I didn't really go to any of them that often). Haven't been there since I was a kid (so it might be expensive), but the fish restaurant at the top of the Trimont would be an awesome place for a T-Storm rolling in.

I just like the Shiloh end more overall, and the Shiloh Grill is great (though doesn't have quite the view)

Old 08-03-2015, 10:39 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Grandview Saloon: The Grandview Saloon - & Coal Hill Steakhouse

Or if you're looking for something divier with a view, Satalio's: Satalio

Places with craftier cocktails like Shiloh Grill or The Summit don't really have a view of much besides Shiloh Street.

Old 08-03-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post

Or if you're looking for something divier with a view, Satalio's: Satalio
good call

Old 08-03-2015, 10:46 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
I really like this thread. Good idea, OP! It's kind of poetic in the era of smart phones, ipods, wristwatches linked to your "cloud"...

The best and most foolish place I have ever watched a major storm was from the golf course in Schenley Park. This was in the early-90's during my college days, and it ended up being a hurricane with trees knocked down all around town. My friends and I ended up being in the eye of the storm and we could see a small enclosed circle of stars above us and witness the lighting bolts and torrents of rain charging down from the sky in every direction. Naturally we had to scurry for cover as the storm moved on.

I also watched a tornado come over the hills from the 14th floor of a building in PPG Place in the mid/late 90's. That storm's twister devastated some roofs in Mt. Washington and the Slopes. But it was amazing to watch from that vista.

So c'mon posters... any ideas besides Mt. Washington to safely observe a storm?

Old 08-03-2015, 11:09 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
For a different perspective, this place downtown has a retractable glass roof, so if it fails to storm, you can be on the outdoor rooftop.

Il Tetto: A Rooftop Beer Garden - 16 Photos - Italian - Downtown - Pittsburgh, PA - Reviews - Yelp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh