Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2015, 11:52 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
The other thing I have been meaning to mention, but have forgotten until now, is that after a trip to Seattle earlier this summer, I am shocked to say that I feel Pittsburgh's biking infrastructure is on par or even better than what is known as one of the more progressive cities in the nation. We Pittsburghers have a lot to be thankful for.
Really? I was there this spring and I saw so many more cyclists there. I can't say I noticed the infrastructure, but there were bikes everywhere downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2015, 12:02 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
Yeah, seriously. Every post here seems to be pro-bike, so I'm not sure about the unprovoked yinzer attack.

The progress this town has made on biking infrastructure in the past few years is great and I expect it will continue as the benefits of cycling "trickle down" from the enthusiasts to the mainstream citizen of the metro. I couldn't be happier and personally benefit from all of this. I even recently purchased my first "Pittsburgh bike", a cross between a cyclocross and a touring bike meant to take the abuse of our rough roads and hilly terrain. I absolutely love it.

I would really like to see better connectivity from Panther Hollow to the riverfront trail, especially if there were a way to create a bypass to the loop that currently puts you on the sidewalk to Second Ave. I would also love if they could speed up the extension of the riverfront trail through the strip and Lawrenceville and to Highland Park, with a connection along side the zoo and up into the neighborhood from the river. Both of these would require making better use of the terrain/ravines.
Because the OP's reason for this post is to suggest the City stop taking the all so valuable space for cars for bike lane, that bikes would somehow be better off segregated exclusively by trails... Not because he's pro bike, but he wants bikes to stop impeding on the so-called Car infrastructure.

Forget it, Bike lanes are here, and should be improved upon... I would even like to see the Mayor dedicate even more protected bike lanes.

I want more people on Bikes, I want more people Walking, I want more people using mass transit .... and people wonder why their so damn Obese! Walk DAMNIT! Yes, the Burgh is too damn Lazy and Fat.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:47 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Pittsburgh has an abundance of ravines and hillsides with little or no development in or on them, so I think using them for bike trails might be a good way for people on bikes to get between neighborhoods while largely avoiding major arterial roads. As an example, a dedicated bike trail through Panther Hollow would provide a direct route from Oakland and Shadyside to the South Side. Also, a dedicated trail that goes alongside either Bigelow Boulevard or the East Busway would provide a direct route between downtown and Bloomfield. Just an idea of mine. What do you guys think?
I think this is a great idea that really balances out the needs of cyclists and motorists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
You guys want your Cars, just learn to sit in the traffic like everyone else, and pay for the parking.
Great attitude..

Quote:
Originally Posted by norcider View Post
It's getting better all the time. There's no reason anybody in this city has to be in one camp only, everybody deserves safe and well designed modes of transport.
I agree - I support safe cycling infrastructure, but I don't support Peduto's "in your face" approach to it by tying up major roads for the bike lanes.

Old 08-11-2015, 12:56 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,897,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post

I agree - I support safe cycling infrastructure, but I don't support Peduto's "in your face" approach to it by tying up major roads for the bike lanes.
No, You support Bike Lanes not taking up precious Vehicular infrastructure. You don't really support "Safe Cycling"... It's basically "Move the bikes somewhere else, get'em out of the streets, and give us back our parking, Damnit" ..

Yinzers Dont fool me for a second with that crap, I see right through that fake pandering. Its the same thing craziaskowboi was trying to pull in his OP...

Old 08-11-2015, 12:59 PM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Nearly everything somebody would want to cycle to is on a major road. That's why there's a major road there.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:09 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
Quote:
I think this is a great idea that really balances out the needs of cyclists and motorists.

Great attitude..

I don't get the in your face part. As if there is some sort of malice worked into the plans. It's change, has to start somewhere.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:26 PM

831 posts, read 879,132 times
Are people allowed to walk in the bike lanes?

Old 08-11-2015, 01:30 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,966,964 times
People walk on the sidewalk. There is a problem in some neighborhoods with bikes using the sidewalks, which can be dangerous.

The number of cyclists this summer has jumped a lot because the bike lanes make it safer for everyone.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:35 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post

You guys want your Cars, just learn to sit in the traffic like everyone else, and pay for the parking.

But people won't sit in traffic, if they don't have to, or pay a lot for parking. They are more like to see a show at the McCandless Crossing and dine at Applebee's on McKnight, instead of going to town in the first place.

The idea of making it easy as possible for all of the customers with money to spend is good for business.

This is why Macy's is closing in town, but their store in Ross Park is doing good business.

Old 08-11-2015, 01:35 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,102,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
Are people allowed to walk in the bike lanes?
I believe that it's ok to walk in the bicycle lanes. At this point most of the multi use trails welcome joggers and so forth. Is there a reason you asked?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh