Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 11:52 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times

Advertisements

gg, if it interests you, there is a public meeting tomorrow to discuss expanding the riverfront trail from Millvale to Sharpsburg, through Etna's brownfield industrial site.

Borough of Etna (about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the page)

There will also be a meeting next month to discuss the Allegheny River Towns Enterprise Zone (ARTEZ) to connect these communities via on-street bike routes (Millvale, Shaler, Etna, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall, O'Hara, and Blawnox). - also mentioned on the Etna Borough site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 12:00 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
gg, if it interests you, there is a public meeting tomorrow to discuss expanding the riverfront trail from Millvale to Sharpsburg, through Etna's brownfield industrial site.

Borough of Etna (about 1/3 to 1/2 way down the page)

There will also be a meeting next month to discuss the Allegheny River Towns Enterprise Zone (ARTEZ) to connect these communities via on-street bike routes (Millvale, Shaler, Etna, Sharpsburg, Aspinwall, O'Hara, and Blawnox). - also mentioned on the Etna Borough site.
Wow, thanks for that. I wish I could go! CRAP!!!!! I just think the world of Friends of the Riverfront. They are changing the city we live in for the better in every way. I still can't believe what I see in Pittsburgh these days compared to when I was a kid. Just amazing!

Old 08-22-2015, 09:11 PM

5,802 posts, read 9,895,961 times
I wouldn't mind having the The North Shore and West End Buses terminate at a Newly Created Transportation Center at Allegheny Station, and take most of those buses out of Downtown ... provided the Transfer to the T remains free ...

It WILL NOT add a half hour to the commute, actually it probably would allow PAT to run the North Side and West End routes more frequently since they don't have to go all the way Downtown. The T already runs like water, PAT could probably add some Subway Local Shuttles in the Rush Hour to help with overcrowding.

I would turn Fifth Ave into a 2 way Buses only between Ross and Liberty..... Moving all 61's and 71's on to Fifth in both directions, turning them around in Gateway Center.

I agree that running all buses on the perimeter of Downtown is a BAD idea ... Only meant to satisfy the Suburban Lazy Car Worshipers. Like other have stated, some routes already barely come into town. I remember when the EBA made just 3 stops on its short loop of Liberty/7th Ave/Grant back to Busway ... wasn't until the EBA became the P1/P2 that it went back to Burlington/6th Ave.

My pipe dream, is that majority Pittsburghers learn alternate modes of Transportation, other than being Total and Complete SLAVES to their Cars, and demanding that the City caters to the every needs of their Automobiles. That's my Pipe Dream.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:58 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
I wouldn't mind having the The North Shore and West End Buses terminate at a Newly Created Transportation Center at Allegheny Station, and take most of those buses out of Downtown ... provided the Transfer to the T remains free ...

It WILL NOT add a half hour to the commute, actually it probably would allow PAT to run the North Side and West End routes more frequently since they don't have to go all the way Downtown. The T already runs like water, PAT could probably add some Subway Local Shuttles in the Rush Hour to help with overcrowding.

Its an 8 minute subway ride from Allegheny to Wood Street.

That's 16 minutes extra each day not including time to disembark from the bus,

More frequent trips might cut the wait time for the trips.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:39 AM

32,617 posts, read 77,624,272 times
Quote:
My pipe dream, is that majority Pittsburghers learn alternate modes of Transportation, other than being Total and Complete SLAVES to their Cars, and demanding that the City caters to the every needs of their Automobiles. That's my Pipe Dream.
Sounds like a great idea! Let me hop onto my Segway to do my food deliveries like a good East Ender!

Old 08-23-2015, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
Its an 8 minute subway ride from Allegheny to Wood Street.

That's 16 minutes extra each day not including time to disembark from the bus,

More frequent trips might cut the wait time for the trips.
Not really, you have to factor in the time the same bus isn't going straight to town .... i.e the 13, 16, 17 have to meander through the North Side to 7th street to get downtown from Brighton Road, which btw leads right to Allegheny Station. From Brighton Road to Downtown 7th Penn Ave is roughly 12-13 mins added to bus travel times.

Plus the "T" doesn't need to stop at traffic lights and go around Allegheny Center, and services more of the Downtown than the current loops the North Side and West End buses make. Someone working on Grant Street is better served by the "T" than the current locations of the North Side Buses.

If terminating Buses at Allegheny allows for PAT to run more frequent service and gives better coverage to Downtown, I don't see a downside. This is how Transportation works in various other cities. Local Buses connect to Rapid Transit options to get to the City Centers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Sounds like a great idea! Let me hop onto my Segway to do my food deliveries like a good East Ender!
Obviously I meant "PERSONAL" Vehicles, your WORK vehicle is NOT Personal, now is it? Jesus Christ!

Old 08-23-2015, 07:29 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Brighton does not lead directly to Allegheny Station. From Brighton and North to Katz Plaza downtown it's 9 minutes (1.6 miles). From Brighton and North to Allegheny Station is 0.6 miles, which google says would take 4 minutes to drive (so let's say 5 with bus stops). Add in 8 minutes for the T ride to Wood and a minimum of 1 minute at each station and you're comparing, from Brighton and North, 9 minutes on the current routing vs. 15 with a T transfer. Round trip 12 minutes a day and that's under the most optimal conditions. A few years ago when I commuted to Oakland from the North side I had experience with PAT transfers and it rarely worked out as it should on paper.

I'll concede that my off the cuff estimate of half an hour was an over estimate, but really the bottom line for me is that I don't see myself putting up with a transfer on a 3.5 mile commute to downtown.

Placing stops around the perimeter of downtown seems to carry most of the benefits of this T transfer idea with a lot fewer drawbacks.

Old 08-23-2015, 11:05 PM

395 posts, read 488,556 times
The climate here miraculously changing into a Sub Tropical Climate, LOL.

Old 08-24-2015, 08:03 AM

1,584 posts, read 2,095,252 times
Quote:
Obviously I meant "PERSONAL" Vehicles, your WORK vehicle is NOT Personal, now is it? Jesus Christ!
Well, to be fair... for him it is...which is the source of many of his problems.

Old 08-24-2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Brighton does not lead directly to Allegheny Station. From Brighton and North to Katz Plaza downtown it's 9 minutes (1.6 miles). From Brighton and North to Allegheny Station is 0.6 miles, which google says would take 4 minutes to drive (so let's say 5 with bus stops). Add in 8 minutes for the T ride to Wood and a minimum of 1 minute at each station and you're comparing, from Brighton and North, 9 minutes on the current routing vs. 15 with a T transfer. Round trip 12 minutes a day and that's under the most optimal conditions. A few years ago when I commuted to Oakland from the North side I had experience with PAT transfers and it rarely worked out as it should on paper.

I'll concede that my off the cuff estimate of half an hour was an over estimate, but really the bottom line for me is that I don't see myself putting up with a transfer on a 3.5 mile commute to downtown.

Placing stops around the perimeter of downtown seems to carry most of the benefits of this T transfer idea with a lot fewer drawbacks.
There wouldn't be 5 stops... From Brighton and North to Allegheny is maybe 3 stops, obviously one would be at CCAC. The Bus should pretty much be able to stick to the same 4 mins at Google Maps. You would be off the bus an on the "T" before that same 16 even got to the Children Musem.

Not everyone can walk from the center of town to perimeters ... Think of the Elderly and handicap, who uses the buses a lot... Creating a Transportation Center out of Allegheny Station means a lot of people wouldn't even need to go Downtown at all... They make their connections at Allegheny.

No One going from North Side to West End should need to go through downtown at all.

for Oakland, PAT could create a faster routing of the 54, taking people directly from Allegheny Station to Oakland using the East Busway, with out needing to go through town at all.

Needing to transfer to the "T" is a marginal time difference at best, and its provides far greater coverage for those that are Downtown destined. The Transfer time between the bus and "T" will probably be nil as there will always be "T" trains waiting to depart as your bus arrives.

I imagine a whole TOD created around a Allegheny Transportation Center..... Not only being a center for transferring Routes, but also building Apts, providing convenience services, i.e a Drug Store, Bank, Coffee Chain, maybe Dry Cleaning. It would be the Ultimate convenient area to live in the city, you would be able to get almost anywhere from it, and all the modern conveniences are right at you door step.

Again this is how Transportation Centers act in other cities ..... I admit, I hate the whole Downtown being the center transportation hub. If I live in Penn Hills and want to go to Monroeville, why do I need to go all the way into town to essentially come back in the same direction? ..... Creating more Hubs (Transportation Centers) and Crosstowns routings would attract far greater ridership ... Not everyone needs or wants to go through town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh