Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 04:47 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,143 times

Advertisements

I guess this post is more nostalgic than anything else, but it seems for as great as people like to say Pittsburgh is not many of its oddities get mentioned.

Like:

Did you know Pittsburgh used to have a big Goth scene? Club Laga, Metropol goth/industral nights, etc.

Lava Lounge. Part Fraggal Rock Cave, part steampunk, and all like being enclosed in a lava lamp. Killer music pit too.

Mount Washington Incline/Stairs. Actually noticed this one mentioned from time to time, but do you know the how to find the secret set of stairs that take you off of the mountain?

Bar 11. A "secret" bar on the SS. Not really all that difficult to find, but it doesn't have a sign. Free candy and stuff with your drinks.

Primanti Brothers sandwich with coleslaw and french fries on it. Not my taste, but somebody must like them.

Randyland. Odd for Pittsburgh anyway.

Mr. McFeely is still around.

The Beehive. For as interesting of a place as this is you'd think it would get mentioned more.

The Cathedral of Learning. Often mentioned, but once you go inside...Hogwarts, nationality rooms, etc.

Eides.

Dixmont Mental Hospital ghost hikes.

The "Crazy" Running Lady. A women in her 70s who usually wore a trench coat, sunglasses, held a giant purse under her arm, and always ran everywhere. Zig zagging across the street and into traffic was one of her hallmarks.

Plenty of others, but that's what came to mind.

What Pittsburgh oddities can you think of/remember?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 05:40 AM

831 posts, read 878,923 times
Victor (RIP) -- Bloomfield/SQ Hill/etc.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:38 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,030,476 times

Old 08-18-2015, 06:44 AM

4,177 posts, read 2,958,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post

The "Crazy" Running Lady. A women in her 70s who usually wore a trench coat, sunglasses, held a giant purse under her arm, and always ran everywhere. Zig zagging across the street and into traffic was one of her hallmarks.
What ever happened to her? I have so many downtown memories as a youngster and this is one of them.

Does anybody remember the bearded lady with gogo boots? She was a downtown character as well.

The dancing / sign language traffic cop was another downtown character.

Old 08-18-2015, 06:50 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpipkins2 View Post
What ever happened to her? I have so many downtown memories as a youngster and this is one of them.

Does anybody remember the bearded lady with gogo boots? She was a downtown character as well.

The dancing / sign language traffic cop was another downtown character.
Vic Cianca - I saw him on Candid Camera when I was little (and living in another state) and my parents said, "He's in Pittsburgh!".

Anyone remember that guy who walked everywhere and always had the whitest sneakers, and had long, gray hair matted down his back?

Old 08-18-2015, 06:52 AM

2,576 posts, read 3,093,437 times
Thought of another thing - Toynbee Tiles. Not unique to Pittsburgh, but not everywhere.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
The shrine to the Virgin Mary on the cliff above the Parkway East. Think it's somewhat intact but it doesn't look like it used to.

Old 08-18-2015, 07:45 AM

5,652 posts, read 6,987,846 times

Old 08-18-2015, 07:53 AM

2,218 posts, read 1,945,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Port Pitt Ash View Post
I guess this post is more nostalgic than anything else, but it seems for as great as people like to say Pittsburgh is not many of its oddities get mentioned.

Like:

Did you know Pittsburgh used to have a big Goth scene? Club Laga, Metropol goth/industral nights, etc.

Lava Lounge. Part Fraggal Rock Cave, part steampunk, and all like being enclosed in a lava lamp. Killer music pit too.

Mount Washington Incline/Stairs. Actually noticed this one mentioned from time to time, but do you know the how to find the secret set of stairs that take you off of the mountain?

Bar 11. A "secret" bar on the SS. Not really all that difficult to find, but it doesn't have a sign. Free candy and stuff with your drinks.

Primanti Brothers sandwich with coleslaw and french fries on it. Not my taste, but somebody must like them.

Randyland. Odd for Pittsburgh anyway.

Mr. McFeely is still around.

The Beehive. For as interesting of a place as this is you'd think it would get mentioned more.

The Cathedral of Learning. Often mentioned, but once you go inside...Hogwarts, nationality rooms, etc.

Eides.

Dixmont Mental Hospital ghost hikes.

Plenty of others, but that's what came to mind.

What Pittsburgh oddities can you think of/remember?
Good post...it seems like I should have known you.

A few to add:

The Blind guy with the boom box that used to sit along Forbes in Oakland and belt out crazy outsider blues.

The old mural in Thirsty's that depicted the regulars, including one that eventually went postal and ascended to the top of his apartment tower further up N. Craig, and started taking pot shots at folks with a rifle before taking his last dive.

How about all the strange little museums and weird tourist attractions that often flow beneath the radar?

The Center for Post-Natural History
The Relics at St. Anthony in Troy Hill
The Bayernhof, overlooking Sharpsburg
Trundle Manor in Swissvale
Hell, I'll even mention some of the oddest murals in any church ever---- Maxo Vanka in Millvale's St. Nicholas Croatian Church

Pittsburgh definitely has its share...

Old 08-18-2015, 08:03 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,101,983 times
I remember the roof top sniper on Craig, it was one of those high rise apartment buildings. That happened the year I started working in Oakland. I do not remember the mural though I was in Thirsty's from time to time. Pretty sure the blind operatic singer is still around. Other Oakland fixtures; who remembers Sombrero Man? Ch...ch...ch...change???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh