Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2016, 05:48 PM
gg gg started this thread

26,137 posts, read 25,983,158 times

Advertisements

Sharpsburg is sitting in a pretty amazing situation. They are going to have an amazing Riverfront park on the Aspinwall side and now they are going to have access to a river trail at the 62nd Street Bridge. Then there is the FC school system. I have a feeling in 10 years Sharpsburg will be a very different place. Cheap compared to other areas, but a value. Can't wait for these riverfront projects to happen!

Etna gets funds to extend Three Rivers Heritage Trail | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2016, 07:28 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Very interesting news from where I sit in Etna. Thanks for sharing! Will be nice to be able to have my son ride the trail from here instead of us needing to go to Millvale to catch it.

Old 02-13-2016, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
Very interesting news from where I sit in Etna. Thanks for sharing! Will be nice to be able to have my son ride the trail from here instead of us needing to go to Millvale to catch it.
It is going to be a pretty big deal. Can't wait!

Old 02-14-2016, 06:32 AM

175 posts, read 168,415 times
Great news on the trail extension. I would love to see the future Ohio River Trail out to Coraopolis start getting some attention soon now that the Alleguen and Mon Trails are reaching new heights.

gg, any idea what they plan to do with that pinch point in the riverfront site? Where Silky's is and it looks like a few other businesses are still in operarion. At the very least I hope it could be beautified, I did not read all of the articles to see if this has been addressed.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIT2MAD View Post
Great news on the trail extension. I would love to see the future Ohio River Trail out to Coraopolis start getting some attention soon now that the Alleguen and Mon Trails are reaching new heights.

gg, any idea what they plan to do with that pinch point in the riverfront site? Where Silky's is and it looks like a few other businesses are still in operarion. At the very least I hope it could be beautified, I did not read all of the articles to see if this has been addressed.
I don't know how they will get from the 62nd Street to the new Aspinwall/Sharpsburg development. I know Sharpsburg wants it and so does Aspinwall, so that is a plus. Of course the RR doesn't want it, but it seems to happen anyway. I just can't imagine a riverfront trail from Aspinwall to the city, but it is possible. Now that the scrapyard is gone, which I still have trouble grasping, who knows what will happen. If they can get to 62nd Street, I think they can get to Aspinwall somehow.

Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,160,214 times
I wonder if they can funnel some of that tax money from the rich folk in FC Borough to help make the trail connection happen. In some cases, it would seem like there might need to be bridges or interesting routes taken, such as near Silky's, as mentioned before.

I never thought I'd say, but some of this development is making me consider Sharpsburg as being a darkhorse location for me to rehab a house. I was dead-set on staying within city limits, but three years of searching for the perfect gem that I can afford has been exhausting.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I wonder if they can funnel some of that tax money from the rich folk in FC Borough to help make the trail connection happen. In some cases, it would seem like there might need to be bridges or interesting routes taken, such as near Silky's, as mentioned before.

I never thought I'd say, but some of this development is making me consider Sharpsburg as being a darkhorse location for me to rehab a house. I was dead-set on staying within city limits, but three years of searching for the perfect gem that I can afford has been exhausting.
It won't come from "tax money", but it probably will come from donations.

I have been thinking about investing in Sharpsburg and if we are thinking about it, I suspect others are as well. People are moving out of Lawrenceville due to it being too expensive. Sharpsburg is right on the river and is looking interesting.

I do think we will get a connection from Aspinwall to the City at some point. The 62nd Street Bridge is really used by Sharpsburg, since it is right there. Etna is more removed from the river. Sharpsburg has a little marina owned by the borough, Sharpsburg Island Marina.

I hope you rehab a home there. I have looked around, but just don't want to do another home right now.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:31 AM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I don't know how they will get from the 62nd Street to the new Aspinwall/Sharpsburg development. I know Sharpsburg wants it and so does Aspinwall, so that is a plus. Of course the RR doesn't want it, but it seems to happen anyway. I just can't imagine a riverfront trail from Aspinwall to the city, but it is possible. Now that the scrapyard is gone, which I still have trouble grasping, who knows what will happen. If they can get to 62nd Street, I think they can get to Aspinwall somehow.
gg - I've seen some items in the Borough newsletter. I believe there is discussion of adding more bicycle-oriented infrastructure in the ARTEZ communities. Unfortunately, I can't find an online version of the article I'm referring to.

I did find this: "Working with the local towns, we plan to construct bike lanes and “sharrows” in our communities for greater bike accessibility in the lower Allegheny River valley." Bike/ped infrastructure | ARTEZ - Allegheny River Towns Enterprise Zone

Seems they may get the trail going through the town rather than along pinchpoints along the river.

If anyone else is interested, here is some additional info I found about the Etna Riverfront Park:
http://planningpa.org/wp-content/upl...-Trail-RFP.pdf (this is the RFP with some project specs)

Here is a nice graphic of the site: Etna Riverfront Park | ARTEZ - Allegheny River Towns Enterprise Zone

Old 02-17-2016, 11:27 AM

Maybe the old Sharpsburg will turn around little by little.

New business brewing in Sharpsburg | TribLIVE

Old 07-04-2016, 08:39 AM

I wanted to update something here. I wish I would have included Etna in my title for searching reasons (Yac?), but didn't want to start a new thread because these all tie together. I had no idea they were going to build a flyover bridge! I really think this is going to be a game changer in Sharpsburg and Etna. This area will hugely benefit Sharpsburg because its proximity. Sharpsburg will now have bookend parks on the river. Sharpsburg already has a marina, which is located in the Pittsburgh pool. In other words, if you dock in Sharpsburg, you can take your boat to the city without going through a lock. Believe me, that is a huge benefit, because if you get caught behind a barge it could add hours to your trip in the city.

Anyway, here is an update on the park. The riverfront bike/pedestrian trail will continue all the way to Sharpsburg after this completion. I really can't believe the change in Pittsburgh from only 10 years ago to now.

Costa announces $250,000 state grant for Etna Riverfront Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh