Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 07:12 PM

4,692 posts, read 9,037,720 times

Advertisements

I am fixing up an old house on the north side of Woods Run Avenue (technically Brighton Heights), across the street from the fire station and library.

I have spent a lot of time there, and I feel 100% safe being there. That said, there have been a few shootings in the immediate area since I bought the house in June. It does seem like there is more crime in that vicinity than where I live in McKeesport, and few people on this board would recommend McKeesport.. I just said that to make a point. Anyway, I just consider that part of city living and I am used to it. No, Shadyside and Squirrel Hill don't have this level of crime, but they don't have $10,000 houses, either.

Given all that, I like the neighborhood a lot and find it to be very walkable. The bars I've been to in the business district were both quite nice, and the neighbors have been both friendly and helpful.

I notice that as you go north on Brighton Road from Woods Run, the neighborhood becomes much more affluent. Woods Run area is the blue collar, historic, 19th century, working class area. I love it for that, but it wouldn't be everyone's scene.

I could see this section of the neighborhood going either way as time goes on. It lies in a buffer zone of neighborhoods between the gentrified War Streets and the affluent sections of Brighton Heights that ranges from something approaching stability to complete sketch. I could see Woods Run appreciating in the future due to its proximity to desirable areas of Brighton Heights and easy commute to downtown, or declining due to not being closer to the gentrifying areas of the lower North Side (War Streets, Manchester, etc.). Never in the city's history was Woods Run a fashionable neighborhood, but that's actually something that makes it interesting and cool. The architecture is similar to what you find in Polish Hill, and look what those houses sell for now.

That said, I would have bought this house even if it were located in a neighborhood that had zero chance of appreciation, because I love it and, most importantly, because it was cheap!

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 09-18-2015 at 08:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2015, 02:23 AM

3,463 posts, read 4,647,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
I love it and, most importantly, because it was cheap!
I disagree. If you didn't love it, you wouldn't have bought it - no matter how cheap it was. You love that house.

Old 09-20-2015, 07:34 AM

10 posts, read 13,108 times
Thanks for the reply, PreservationPioneer!

I am somewhat familiar with the McKeesport area and I would not consider living there. So you stating this area seems to have more crime than McKeesport makes me really nervous. :|

Looking at Google maps, the area I'm looking at is about .3 miles west from the library and fire station. And I did read about a shooting on McClure.

I can't agree more about the architecture of the houses, they're amazing!

Old 09-21-2015, 05:10 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,984,298 times
McKeesport is 14 square miles. If I recall correctly, I think PreservationPioneer lives in one of the quieter sections. It's kind of like how many people will write off the entire North Side even though there are some perfectly fine and even downright high end sections.

Old 09-21-2015, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
McKeesport is 14 square miles. If I recall correctly, I think PreservationPioneer lives in one of the quieter sections. It's kind of like how many people will write off the entire North Side even though there are some perfectly fine and even downright high end sections.
Exactly. McKeesport is a large area, and a city of nearly 20,000 people. Within that city are many different, distinct neighborhoods and geographical barriers between them. Most of the downtown area and surrounding neighborhoods are in rough shape (not necessarily dangerous or crime-ridden, in my opinion). One exception is the Library District, which is still quite beautiful. The neighborhoods near the outskirts of the city are much more stable, and some of them rival in beauty and architecture some of the nicer Pittsburgh neighborhoods.

Living in one of the nicer neighborhoods on the edge of (within) the city of McKeesport is a unique experience. Myer Park (11th Ward) was clearly designed to be a streetcar suburb (1920s) of McKeesport. Now that downtown McKeesport has become more or less obsolete (thanks to inept leadership, mostly), it somehow functions as one of the last middle class urban neighborhoods of a once great city. It's strange being in a middle class urban neighborhood which is not anywhere close to a prosperous city (being a bit removed from Pittsburgh), and surrounded by sprawl. I absolutely love my neighborhood and have never found anything else quite like it! I can't compare it to Detroit, which is the posterchild for nice urban neighborhoods surrounded by urban decay and sprawl, because the rivers-and-hills Appalachian vibe in McKeesport is so distinct and unlike other places in the country.

Last edited by PreservationPioneer; 09-21-2015 at 09:19 PM..

Old 09-21-2015, 09:56 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,261,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
. Now that downtown McKeesport has become more or less obsolete (thanks to inept leadership, mostly), it somehow functions as one of the last middle class urban neighborhoods of a once great city. .

Downtown McKeesport was worthwhile when National Tube hired 5000 men, and the neighboring towns all had a vibrant industrial scene going on as well. Further, the building of Monroeville Mall and later, Century III, got a lot of shoppers to head their way.

I don't think that you can blame the governmental leadership in the city of McKeesport for its collapse.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Like_Spam View Post
I don't think that you can blame the governmental leadership in the city of McKeesport for its collapse.
Not for its collapse thirty years ago, but for its complete stagnation and the lack of focus of city leaders on revitalizing downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh