Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2015, 01:02 PM

9 posts, read 10,820 times

Advertisements

Someone is coming in town in a couple of weeks and I would like to show them around the city. However, I just moved here as well. I keep reading bus and T information and for an outsider I am not sure of what the best method would be because I keep hearing one of the highways going into downtown is closed on weekends and don't try to drive downtown or I will get stuck in hours of traffic. I have a car that I can drive to one of the points where the T picks up. But is there parking at T stations do I need a special permit how does it all work.

1) Which is the best way to go to Mt Washington on a weekend? I know there is lack of parking so we can take the T I am hoping and it would be more simple than driving into downtown.....Which station do I drive to that has all day parking (I am in MoonTwp area)?

2) From the Mt Washington/incline what other recommendations do you have to explore downtown?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2015, 04:29 PM

2,195 posts, read 2,589,697 times
There is parking at most T stations. I can't help you with the routes to take though. The port Authority website should be able to help you with that. http://www.portauthority.org/paac/default.aspx

Right now on weekends they have been closing the Parkway over the entire weekend. This past weekend it was the outbound since only and it took me about 90 minutes to get from Squirrel Hill to Rolling Hills Ranch in Bridgeville taking 19 south.Taking the Parkway it is usually a 32 minute drive. Not sure what they are doing this coming weekend. As of no no closures for the upcoming weekend are scheduled. They will be doing overnight closures today through Thursday. Downtown Pittsburgh | Getting To & Around Town | Construction Updates | West

Going in and out through the Liberty tunnels isn't too bad, outbound traffic tends to get hung up more and the bottlenecks in Dormont, due to cars parked in the right lane, are a bit annoying but the drive is totally doable.

Old 09-21-2015, 06:00 PM

29,746 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Don't forget that the Mon Incline is closed for maintenance until November. The Duquesne Incline has free(?) parking off of Carson St at the far end of Station Square.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:58 AM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,707,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
The Duquesne Incline has free(?) parking off of Carson St at the far end of Station Square.
No longer true. The Democrats had electronic parking meters installed at the dirt lot in Station Square.

Old 09-22-2015, 09:00 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,595,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
The Democrats had electronic parking meters installed at the dirt lot in Station Square.
They also expanded health care coverage to many people who previously couldn't get it, so I'll give them a pass on the 25 cents for 15 minutes thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh