Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 08:19 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,628,630 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
What it really is is that people don't want any change that'll inconvenience them, and will view any such change as an imposition rather than a happy medium even if it's the result of negotiation and compromise. But cities change.
I think it's actually worse than that. If there is a change that produces an inconvenience and some improvement for a driver, they will only see the inconvenience. That is, somebody can see the extra 30 seconds they had to spend because they had to slow down for a bike, but they can't see the minutes saved because of the overall reduction of auto traffic on the roads in Oakland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 08:29 AM

111 posts, read 115,102 times
This doesn't really have much to do with the topic of bike lanes, but my time cycling has taught me one big, important message for my driving: there's really no hurry. When I'm on my bike, even if I am ostensibly slowing down cars, I will eventually catch up to them. I virtually guarantee it. It's literally a daily occurrence to have a car gun it to get around me*, only to catch up to them at the next stop sign or light. Or even before that.

Slow down and take your time. We'll all get there at the same time eventually.

*I don't necessarily think that a person gunning it to get around me is being a jerk. Some might be, angry that I got in their way. But I think that, in general, cars just want to get away from the bike for the cyclists' own safety.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:31 AM

385 posts, read 310,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I think it's actually worse than that. If there is a change that produces an inconvenience and some improvement for a driver, they will only see the inconvenience. That is, somebody can see the extra 30 seconds they had to spend because they had to slow down for a bike, but they can't see the minutes saved because of the overall reduction of auto traffic on the roads in Oakland.
There's an excellent book by Tom Vanderbilt called Traffic: Why We Drive the Way We Do, which goes into detail on the psychology of driving.

Basically, drivers feel anonymized because they're hidden inside their cars, and other drivers are also anonymized. Making eye contact is very important for human interaction and it is almost impossible for drivers to do. As a result, drivers don't feel that the people they interract with are people; empathy goes out the window and drivers let their baser instincts rule their behavior.

This is why people are aggrivated all out of proportion by things like the Penn bike lane. They don't see it as being a thing for people, only that it was a thing that belonged to them, drivers, and was taken away for no good reason.

Old 10-13-2015, 08:32 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,167,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sealie View Post
How do you know what you're seeing isn't the happy medium? You take a good look at that bike lane on Forbes between Dallas and Braddock? It's not protected, and cars go veering into it when they can't control the car at 20 miles over the speed limit. If the bikers were taking over the city, it would be a protected lane.
Sorry, I should clarify that what I mean by "happy medium" is less of BB/erieguy type of shouting matches and more overall progress and education. The stat sheets on bike route and pedestrian traffic is really neat. It would be nice if there were some hard evidence of the benefits of cycling you are touting, because I can see them, but something on the front page of the PG or on WTAE with hard evidence would get a lot more play. Heck, I'm ok with just my own personal benefit of being in better shape and knowing my city a little more intimately.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:11 AM

831 posts, read 882,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbeauty212 View Post
A pleasure that you're constantly complaining about ? Accident on the Parkway late for work, is that a Pleasure,? Gas prices shoot to 4$ a gallon, pleasure ? Accident was someone else's fault but my Premiums go through the roof, pleasure? F'cking Bike Lanes, can't find anywhere to park, Pleasure?

But you wouldn't be caught dead using Public Transit, because it's beneath you, Got It! Watch have your nose pointed that high in the air, you wouldn't want to get a nose bleed.
Wow, you're so defensive!

As a driver I've never complained about gas prices, never been involved in an accident, and always find places to park.

Not using Public Transportation has nothing to do with being beneath anyone, regardless of whatever issues that you have that make you perceive it that way.

It has everything to do with options. If I take a bus to work, I can only leave when they run. If I have to go somewhere else, I can't..I can only go where the buses go. I'm not interested in giving up that level of decision making freedom that a car allows me to have.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:13 AM

387 posts, read 473,288 times
While I understand many prefer to bike & live close to their work, that's not realistic for many folks, as the sole method of transportation, especially families with children.

If you actually buy a house & your employer changes locations, or your job is eliminated, most people can't just pack up & move if their new job is on the other side of town. No one can really bank of their job being there in the same exact location for the next 30 yrs in this economy.

I'm not understanding some of BB's points. Not everyone, in fact most people couldn't just have a bike only. It just wouldn't be practical.

If you work in a trade, you will be driving to worksites, biking with tool boxes that weigh 100lbs & tools that could never be carried on a bicycle.

Social workers/case workers need cars for home & site visits all over town.

There's traveling nurses & medical assistants all over the area.

If you have children & need to take one to school, one to the Dr & then also go to work, & take one to sports practice after school, it's almost impossible. I couldn't see doing this in the winter either.

The reasons/necessity for people not going the bicycle only route is a reality, not just a bunch of lazy people.

I suppose if you are a single renter without children, or a long term lease, you have the option to pick up & go where & when the job market carries you elsewhere, because you have less financial responsibilities, but that's more of a nomadic alternative lifestyle, not something that could truly work for the majority.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:30 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,568,087 times
I'm just glad I don't live in the city and will be retiring in a few months so I won't have to deal with it as a pedestrian downtown

Old 10-13-2015, 10:43 AM

5,894 posts, read 6,902,417 times
The one bad thing I do as a driver (not on purpose!) many times is when making a turn where a bike lane is also on the road, I don't look to make sure a bike isn't going straight. Primarily because I so rarely encounter bike lanes it doesn't cross my mind to look & I'm sure I'm not the only person so watch if you're on a bike for such.
Luckily I'm not on the road much.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:44 AM

385 posts, read 310,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
I'm just glad I don't live in the city and will be retiring in a few months so I won't have to deal with it as a pedestrian downtown
I'm glad that I live and work in the city and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I couldn't imagine having to drive on the freeways around here every day.

Old 10-13-2015, 10:52 AM

618 posts, read 694,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tclifton View Post
It has everything to do with options. If I take a bus to work, I can only leave when they run. If I have to go somewhere else, I can't..I can only go where the buses go. I'm not interested in giving up that level of decision making freedom that a car allows me to have.
Arguably, you have no options. You can go different places - so you have the ability to go places (obviously), just as you would if you decided to walk there, take a bus, bike, or uber to any number of places in the city and greater area. But you have no options as far as how you get there. You can't simply bus, bike, uber, or walk out to where you live. Those are the options people enjoy.

You are beholden to the car and are left with no other option. I love having my car and wouldn't give it up for the certain trips are near impossible without one (or at least very inconvenient). But there is enormous value in never dealing with winter driving, traffic, construction or the like leaving you free using the commute to decompress and read and having the liberty to make that choice. I am free to take the T or bus or drive (or uber for that matter), if I choose, with each one taking between 10 and 25 minutes and I can make that decision based upon conditions, mood or inclination.

Transportation options are certainly not always so convenient, but you make choices in where you live that let you to determine how easily and flexibly you commute and get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh