Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2015, 06:23 PM

1,134 posts, read 1,124,538 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I never thought I'd get to this point, but I'm seriously thinking of suing my neighbor, but I'm not sure I can afford the legal fees.

Long story short. He's been diverting water onto my property since I moved in twelve years ago. I found out a couple of weeks ago that he actually installed a drain that carries water into my yard and along my hillside causing me much problems. The borough came out and told him that I have the legal right to sue him because of the property damage to my yard and hillside. I was just going to let it go, but this man actually built this (and I hate to say it) beautiful trench (on my property) when the previous owners lived here unbeknownst to them. He must have built this when the previous owners were on vacation or perhaps they had a summer home. I have no idea how long ago this system was put in, but it has caused problems in my yard and my hillside is eroding like crazy.

When I moved in, there was no property marker in my back yard, it was down over the hillside. I assumed that because our driveways are only separated by the caulking going down the center of them, that was the property line. The borough official took measurements via my property survey and 3" of his driveway and yard is my property, which I really didn't care about, but...... there's a terra cotta drain that is now non functional, half way down my hillside partly on those 3". That leads me to believe he has been diverting his drainage onto this property for 50 years.

The borough inspector is supposed to come out next week to make sure my neighbor installed a legal cap on that 4" drain pipe that actually is on my property. He did not have permission from the previous owner to drain the water onto our property, nor was the previous owner aware this man had any drains along his driveway.

Has anybody used any attorneys around Pittsburgh for problems like this or will I end up losing my house to pay for legal fees? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2015, 07:07 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam1957 View Post
Hi,

I never thought I'd get to this point, but I'm seriously thinking of suing my neighbor, but I'm not sure I can afford the legal fees.

Long story short. He's been diverting water onto my property since I moved in twelve years ago. I found out a couple of weeks ago that he actually installed a drain that carries water into my yard and along my hillside causing me much problems. The borough came out and told him that I have the legal right to sue him because of the property damage to my yard and hillside. I was just going to let it go, but this man actually built this (and I hate to say it) beautiful trench (on my property) when the previous owners lived here unbeknownst to them. He must have built this when the previous owners were on vacation or perhaps they had a summer home. I have no idea how long ago this system was put in, but it has caused problems in my yard and my hillside is eroding like crazy.

When I moved in, there was no property marker in my back yard, it was down over the hillside. I assumed that because our driveways are only separated by the caulking going down the center of them, that was the property line. The borough official took measurements via my property survey and 3" of his driveway and yard is my property, which I really didn't care about, but...... there's a terra cotta drain that is now non functional, half way down my hillside partly on those 3". That leads me to believe he has been diverting his drainage onto this property for 50 years.

The borough inspector is supposed to come out next week to make sure my neighbor installed a legal cap on that 4" drain pipe that actually is on my property. He did not have permission from the previous owner to drain the water onto our property, nor was the previous owner aware this man had any drains along his driveway.

Has anybody used any attorneys around Pittsburgh for problems like this or will I end up losing my house to pay for legal fees? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Attorneys do not come cheaply, and your situation sounds as if there could be a significant number of billable hours, plus the potential of the court costs, that could make suing him cost prohibitive. So much more would need to be done beyond the legal fees (surveys, possible geological impact studies,etc.) to prove your case. These are the upfront costs that you will need to pay, and the potential exists that you could still lose. Seems to me that your money would be so much better spent on having a full survey done first, complete with staking your property, and then, discussing with your neighbor the possible solutions. It is a Catch22 for you otherwise.

Old 10-10-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Attorneys do not come cheaply, and your situation sounds as if there could be a significant number of billable hours, plus the potential of the court costs, that could make suing him cost prohibitive. So much more would need to be done beyond the legal fees (surveys, possible geological impact studies,etc.) to prove your case. These are the upfront costs that you will need to pay, and the potential exists that you could still lose. Seems to me that your money would be so much better spent on having a full survey done first, complete with staking your property, and then, discussing with your neighbor the possible solutions. It is a Catch22 for you otherwise.
Thank you so much for your advice. I had heard that it's rarely worth it and too costly. I just thought because I have actual proof that would make a big difference. I really appreciate your input!

Old 10-10-2015, 07:43 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
If you can't afford legal fees you could try the EPA. Possibly a long shot but a call is cheap.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:02 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,977,619 times
Sometimes a threatening letter from a big name attorney is enough. You don't have to follow through with it, just threaten. Most times people will fix the problem knowing they will have to fight some big name. Pay up front and let it go type of thing.

Old 10-10-2015, 09:28 PM

697 posts, read 778,267 times
See the housing section on this site and perhaps you'd be eligible for a free consultation... I believe that Neighborhood Legal Services has income limits
Get legal help - Find a legal service organization or pro bono project

Old 10-11-2015, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
If you can't afford legal fees you could try the EPA. Possibly a long shot but a call is cheap.
Thank you, I will give them a call this week.

Old 10-11-2015, 04:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Sometimes a threatening letter from a big name attorney is enough. You don't have to follow through with it, just threaten. Most times people will fix the problem knowing they will have to fight some big name. Pay up front and let it go type of thing.
Thank you for your good suggestion. That's a good idea. I really do appreciate your input!

Old 10-11-2015, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDaisy View Post
See the housing section on this site and perhaps you'd be eligible for a free consultation... I believe that Neighborhood Legal Services has income limits
Get legal help - Find a legal service organization or pro bono project
Thank you so much for the link, I'll surely use it!

Old 10-11-2015, 06:12 AM

1,860 posts, read 2,579,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Yeah, a lot of people go that route...but it can backfire.

The property owner behind my first home was a landlord who was never friendly with us. Years later his attorney sent a threatening letter stating that we had to remove all of the trees from our back yard because the leaves were falling on his roof and causing damage to the roofing and gutters.

Had he been friendly and asked if we could trim the trees or clean the leaves, we would have been a lot more cooperative. Instead, I played hardball.

I called his attorney a few times and basically wasted his time, adding billable hours to the landlord's bill - knowing that it was a pretty ridiculous threat. With that, I demanded that they provide me with a survey to prove that it was my tree. I bothered the attorney a lot asking for the survey and just wasting time until I was able to get one. Then I proved to them that the trees were actually just barely on their property - and I sent them a letter stating that they were not permitted on my property to cut the trees down. Given the property boundaries, they have no access to the trees without going in my yard, so the trees are still there.

So my advice is:

1. Talk to the neighbor and ask him to remedy the issue.
2. Have a survey to prove that it is actually your property
3. Hire a good attorney who will help you sort out the issue if he's unwilling to help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
View detailed profiles of: