Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What neighborhood will do a complete 180 in the next 1-2 generations
Mt. Oliver 2 4.44%
Arlington 1 2.22%
Hazelwood 7 15.56%
Hill District 5 11.11%
Homewood 2 4.44%
Wilkinsburg 7 15.56%
Allentown 5 11.11%
Larimer 3 6.67%
Manchester 8 17.78%
Knoxville 1 2.22%
Other/None (please elaborate) 4 8.89%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 04:20 PM

419 posts, read 446,104 times

Advertisements

I'm surprised nobody voted for The Hill District. What about Uptown? If it were on the list exclusive from The Hill would it get votes? Or are people less confident about Uptown than a few years go, given the slow progress since Consol opened. There's no denying the location.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 04:25 PM

385 posts, read 309,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Grocery stores have been expanding the scope of services offered for years now. Aside from physically looking dated they could modernize by having a bank, selling beer, adding a play place, printing photos, adding specialty food sections (organic/ethnic/gluten free/seafood), having a small cafe, adding a salad bar, and expanding their ready to eat foods and produce selection.

As I said, I still use the BH Giant Eagle as my primary grocery store, but it's nothing special and I can easily see how some people looking to live in the north side would be turned off by it.
It's a grocery store. Who cares. The idea of someone being "turned off" by their grocery store just selling groceries makes my eyes want to roll right out of my skull.

The highest profit per square foot grocery stores in the USA are Trader Joe's, who operate on a small store private label basis. I can't imagine that many people are upset that their grocery store doesn't have a bank inside.

Your idea of "modern" seems to coincide with "suburban." When land is plentiful and cheap, you can build dry cleaning centers and other fripperies into your stores. That doesn't work with a limited urban footprint.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:33 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,260,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post
It's a grocery store. Who cares. The idea of someone being "turned off" by their grocery store just selling groceries makes my eyes want to roll right out of my skull.

The highest profit per square foot grocery stores in the USA are Trader Joe's, who operate on a small store private label basis. I can't imagine that many people are upset that their grocery store doesn't have a bank inside.

Your idea of "modern" seems to coincide with "suburban." When land is plentiful and cheap, you can build dry cleaning centers and other fripperies into your stores. That doesn't work with a limited urban footprint.
People like the idea of one stop shopping, BPHF. Takes a lot more effort to buy groceries in one place, meat in another and produce in a 3rd, and add'l trip to pharmacies and all that.

The 2 Market Districts in the city of Pittsburgh, not just the suburbs, recognize the fact that people are busy and have restaurants and pharmacies in their building. The "super Wal-Mart" concept, enabling people to buy tire, clothing, and groceries on the same trip where they get their hair cut and dine in an in-store restaurant, made the owners of Wal-Mart very wealthy. People like the idea of doing it all.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:35 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,207,721 times
This^^^^

Old 10-17-2015, 05:31 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigPizzaHutFan View Post

Well it didn't stop me from moving here, so perhaps I'm incorrect in thinking it is a turnoff to people. I really do suspect it is.

And you're ignoring that half of my list related directly to groceries. Sure, wanting to do your dry cleaning and banking at Giant Eagle is maybe best left for the 'burbs, but is wanting to pick up some fresh seafood, specialty ethnic and health food, grabbing a six pack, getting some ready to eat prepared food, and buying produce beyond the very basics really a suburban vs urban thing? I don't think it is at all.

And for what it's worth, if our grocery store is going to be in a mostly undeveloped valley way at the edge of the neighborhood, it might as well be a big old suburban style one. If it was smack dab in the Brighton or California business district I'd be a lot more forgiving of its shortcomings.

Old 10-17-2015, 05:33 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Don't forget a pharmacy and bakery. Then it will be just like the ones we have in the burbs. Cranberry GE's have it all.
There is a pharmacy and they do sell some baked goods, but I don't think you could get a custom made cake or anything.

Old 10-17-2015, 06:58 PM

385 posts, read 309,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post

And you're ignoring that half of my list related directly to groceries.
I didn't ignore it, j just didn't mention it because that half of your list are valid complaints.

Old 10-19-2015, 06:29 AM

338 posts, read 446,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreservationPioneer View Post
Manchester, although it has already rebounded.

I think, generally, it is harder for neighborhoods without business districts or interesting historic homes or beautiful homes to see gentrification. I don't even see the kind of gentrification happening in East Liberty or Lawrenceville as a positive thing overall. I prefer gradual revitalization that does not become overpriced or overhyped. I think we could definitely see gradual and lasting revitalization in places like Allentown, Mt. Oliver, Brighton Heights and Woods Run, Troy Hill, Sheraden, Hazelwood, McKees Rocks and Stowe, Bellevue, Millvale/ Etna / Sharpsburg, Homestead / Munhall. These won't do a 180, but I think they will improve without becoming hot messes like Lawrenceville or East Liberty.

I think instead of having "hot neighborhoods," we should spread the wealth until all our neighborhoods become stable. I flatly refuse to live in a trendy neighborhood and always will.

Hot messes? Even though they are "Hot" right now, they both are sustainable neighborhoods, 2 locations that will make each stable once their trendy label wears off. You cannot buy a house in a better spot if you work in the Strip or Downtown.

Old 10-19-2015, 10:33 AM

4,359 posts, read 7,530,984 times
Easy solution is to do the curb side pick up at the Waterworks Giant Eagle. In and out in about 10 minutes. The Waterworks is right off of 28 so if you avoid rush hour it is an easy drive.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:31 AM

144 posts, read 140,921 times
Wilkinsburg definitely has potential. I've lived here the past year (though I'm moving to Observatory Hill this week). It seems likely that the East End growth will spill over this direction. It's right on the busway and has a decent business district that should only improve over time. They just got a liquor license. The WCDC is also moving forward with reviving the train station.

When I'm talking to someone about buying a home in Observatory Hill, they ask where I'm moving from. When I say Wilkinsburg, 90% of the time their reaction is along the lines of "Oh my God! Thank heavens you are moving out of there! Why would you live there?!" It's pretty obnoxious. The borough needs to get over that stigma and I think it's moving in the right direction. Something needs to happen with the property taxes though!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh