Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2015, 01:23 PM

831 posts, read 879,324 times

Advertisements

Lots of nice older homes in that area, and I like it...but I've heard that there are air quality issues, and I see those fires going on the island all the time at night. Does anybody have any info, either anecdotal or otherwise about the air quality and how it effects the quality of life around there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2015, 01:37 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,395,235 times
There are alot of studies on the internet about it, personally my step son lived in Avalon, he had extremely bad ashma. He would end up in the hospital almost monthly, when I moved him into my house 8 years ago in the south hills he has not had one episode.

Old 10-13-2015, 03:55 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,678 times
I'm aware, due to my work, that there are serious quality of life issues for the residents of those municipalities due to their proximity to the Shenango plant on Neville Island. Northgate School District has concerning asthma rates (double the average). Residents with chronic health conditions have complained about effects on their quality of life. I would not buy a house in these locations, particularly as I have a child.

Here is some information for you: ACHD - Air Quality - Neville Island Area Air Toxics Study

A Ben Avon Council member asked the Board of Health to shut down Shenango due to its effects on public health: http://www.achd.net/board/pubs/minut...oh_minutes.pdf (item 4C)

These groups may also be able to help you seek information: Group Against Smog and Pollution , and https://www.facebook.com/AghCoCAN/timeline

Old 10-13-2015, 04:27 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,836 times
What are the odds Shenango will shut down any time soon? Does anyone have stats on how many workers would be affected?

Old 10-13-2015, 05:35 PM

2,860 posts, read 1,901,678 times
0% chance in my informed opinion.

Old 10-13-2015, 05:50 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,599,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyovan4 View Post
0% chance in my informed opinion.
Yeah, I thought so but had to ask after seeing those minutes you posted. The industry vs. environmental health hazards debate is a tough one around here.

Old 10-13-2015, 06:20 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,263,524 times
There have been lawsuits filed, and administrative fines issued against Shenango in the past, but they were deemed later to be in compliance with clean air regs.

There is always going to be a certain amount of air pollution when you are talking about heavy industry- really the question is whether or not to turn up the pressure and force them to shut down sooner rather than later.

The rotten egg smell of coke ovens is a bit nostalgic to me, I was told it was the smell of money being made when I was a kid and it was a lot more prevalent before current pollution regulation.

Maybe 10-15 years ago, my old landlord sent a maintenance man into my apartment with sulfuric acid, and the young man alerted me to the smell, not disturbed in the least.

Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 AM

994 posts, read 901,454 times
Go there and let your nose be the judge. This would be one of the best areas to live in the region, if not for the pollution. That kills the deal imo.

On the other hand, the entire Pittsburgh region has air quality problems compared to other places in the US, and folks elsewhere think "no way" would I live in Pittsburgh because of that shoddy air quality.

Old 10-16-2015, 10:42 AM

1,491 posts, read 1,460,906 times
I grew up in the ben avon area and never had any problems with the air quality. Obviously that is just from a personal experience and not giving any scientific backing, but none of my friends, siblings, or family members ever had any problems or do I remember anyone complaining about it.

The homes in ben avon really are beautiful. You take it for granted as a child, but driving through there now, it reminds me highland park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh