Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2016, 09:01 PM

109 posts, read 128,351 times

Advertisements

I've been looking for a house for a while now and I found a steal in the Summer Hill area. Great access to McKnight road, Downtown, and all my other favorite places, and should be a quick ride to work as well. Taxes seem to be fairly cheep as well for what you get.

Granted, the school district seems abysmal, but I don't plan on having kids, so that's not a big concern for me and honestly, unless dire circumstances hit me I don't plan on moving. Now, I know that their are some bad areas around Summer hill though to the south and west, but how does Summer Hill still fare? Is it still fairly safe? Are their any downsides that I haven't thought about?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2016, 10:28 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,976,499 times
I think your initial assessment is pretty accurate, except I'm not ware of any problem areas to the west. It's cheaper than similar areas outside of the city because of the schools. It's a good location if you're okay with the suburban lifestyle and driving everywhere. Yes, it technically borders the Northview Heights housing project, but I don't think there is very much spillover crime. If the house is up in the northern part of the neighborhood, near the BP gas station, then I think Northview Heights is a non-factor.

Old 10-30-2016, 11:00 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,432 times
I think Summer Hill is fine; there are some very pretty, quiet streets back there and some wonderful houses. Most of the problems in Northview Heights tend to stay within that community -- there are some drug-related shootings and domestic violence incidents, but they don't spill over into either Spring Hill or Summer Hill very often.

Please note that bluecarebear is very quick to write negative things about the city, but I have yet to be convinced that he or she has any first-hand experience in this particular area. Northview gets a lot of bad press, and it is indeed sad that their crime rate is so high, but there are also plenty of good people raising families there and just trying to get by. If the house is near Colby Street you might try riding the #15 or #6 bus to and from downtown one day -- it will give you a pretty good sense of how the demographics change as the bus goes through Northview, and it might be a nice chance to think about your own comfort levels with the general area. Of course as Ferraris said, this is a non-issue if the house you found is on the northern side of Summer Hill, and/or if you don't plan to take public transportation anyway.

Old 10-31-2016, 06:52 AM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,664 times
The horror!:

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.4934...7i13312!8i6656

Old 10-31-2016, 08:47 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,149,700 times
That image is basically how all of Summer Hill looks or in other words, not that different at all from Ross and Shaler.

Old 10-31-2016, 09:03 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,194,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
That image is basically how all of Summer Hill looks or in other words, not that different at all from Ross and Shaler.
I like it. If I was interested in living in the area I would definitely give it a look.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:39 PM

310 posts, read 371,391 times
I don't think mentioning that it was near northview heights was racist at all. if the OP is new to the city or doesn't even live here, maybe mentioning that a public housing project known for drugs and crime is around the corner was a good thing. there was literally just a shooting there over the summer. if I had a question about a neighborhood, I would hope someone would include the crime ridden area around the corner.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:41 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,194,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crae09 View Post
I don't think mentioning that it was near northview heights was racist at all. if the OP is new to the city or doesn't even live here, maybe mentioning that a public housing project known for drugs and crime is around the corner was a good thing. there was literally just a shooting there over the summer. if I had a question about a neighborhood, I would hope someone would include the crime ridden area around the corner.
Exactly. Thank you.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:56 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
I think it's important to realize that Summer Hill is a pretty long, skinny neighborhood, which only borders Northview Heights in a small area in its extreme south. Somewhere like Ames Street, right next to Northview Heights, does look a bit run down, but the streets off of Ivory Ave, which border Ross, seem like bog-standard 1950s suburbia.

Personally my biggest fear about buying there would be housing appreciation, but I tend to think if you're in it for the longer haul and don't plan improvements beyond the local market, it's probably no worse than the nearby suburbs.

Old 11-01-2016, 01:59 PM

2,401 posts, read 2,100,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
I think it's important to realize that Summer Hill is a pretty long, skinny neighborhood, which only borders Northview Heights in a small area in its extreme south. Somewhere like Ames Street, right next to Northview Heights, does look a bit run down, but the streets off of Ivory Ave, which border Ross, seem like bog-standard 1950s suburbia.

Personally my biggest fear about buying there would be housing appreciation, but I tend to think if you're in it for the longer haul and don't plan improvements beyond the local market, it's probably no worse than the nearby suburbs.
To add on this, the entrances to the NV Heights complex are secure gates manned 24hrs a day by some sort of security personnel. Most of the crime related to this complex takes place WITHIN the NV Heights grounds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh