Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:13 AM

24 posts, read 70,571 times

Advertisements

I'll be starting grad school at Pitt next August. While that's still quite a bit away, I want to start putting a plan of action together because I'm pretty sure I'm going to have a hard time finding a place to live.

Strike 1: I'll be living primarily off of student loans.
Strike 2: I have 2 cats.
Strike 3: No cosigners. Nope, not even my parents.

I recognize that pretty much limits me to private landlords. Maybe a roommate situation as well, but that wouldn't be my first choice if I can swing it. Any advice about when I should start looking, where, how to pitch myself, etc. would be much appreciated. What I've seen in terms of when to start looking, especially, is all over the map. I'm in my early 30s and have been working for the past decade so I have a bit saved up if offering to pay first/last/extra security/pre-pay/etc. would actually work. I've lived in my current apartment for 5 years so I'll have a good landlord reference if that's worth anything.

I don't have a car and am hoping to live somewhere that's no more than an hour commute by public transportation to Pitt. I know I can't be too choosy, but somewhere safe-ish where it's not expected that I'd be murdered at 9pm when coming home from evening classes would also be nice.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide! Happy to answer any questions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 08:26 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
I think you're worrying a bit too much, unless your price range is like $400/month. Cats aren't that hard and one hour on public transit gets you a very large number of neighborhoods that are safe.

For just an example, see the building I have below. I don't recommend it specifically. I don't know anything about the interior or management. I do know that the street is very safe, that bus service to and from Oakland is great (but very crowded at prime times), and that you can walk for most errands from there.

Mozart Apartments - Morrowfield

Old 11-02-2015, 08:26 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
You can easily find something that meets your needs, but what type of budget are you looking to stay in.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:40 AM

3,291 posts, read 2,774,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby Hick View Post
I think you're worrying a bit too much, unless your price range is like $400/month. Cats aren't that hard and one hour on public transit gets you a very large number of neighborhoods that are safe.

For just an example, see the building I have below. I don't recommend it specifically. I don't know anything about the interior or management. I do know that the street is very safe, that bus service to and from Oakland is great (but very crowded at prime times), and that you can walk for most errands from there.

Mozart Apartments - Morrowfield
Check out the dimensions on the one that is $475. It's 185 sq. feet. No worries though, it's not available.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:46 AM

3,595 posts, read 3,394,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Check out the dimensions on the one that is $475. It's 185 sq. feet. No worries though, it's not available.
185 square feet, you can go to the bathroom, cook dinner, watch tv, and talk to your next door neighbor all at the same time.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:47 AM

Budget-wise, I'm trying to stay at $800 or below.

Mozart definitely has options in my price range that are in decent locations, but they require students to have cosigners and aren't willing to budge at all on that. I was told that most of the management companies are that way.

Old 11-02-2015, 08:53 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,597,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by head_start View Post
Budget-wise, I'm trying to stay at $800 or below.

Mozart definitely has options in my price range that are in decent locations, but they require students to have cosigners and aren't willing to budge at all on that. I was told that most of the management companies are that way.
I don't have any direct knowledge of this, but I very much doubt that a 30-something with a five year rental history and (I'm assuming) a reasonable credit rating plus an employment history gets treated as a "student" regardless of whether or not they are enrolled.

Old 11-02-2015, 09:56 AM

29 posts, read 25,915 times
Why would you need a cosigner if you've been working and on your own?

And from this site Do You Need an Apartment Co-signer? | ApartmentGuide.com ...

Quote:
If you can’t find a co-signer
What if you don’t have an obvious co-signer? You may be able to avoid getting a co-signer if you offer a larger upfront deposit, or you may have luck qualifying for the apartment on your own if you clean up your credit report. Talk to your potential landlord or the manager of the apartment community where you want to live. It may be that trading down for a slightly smaller apartment will free you from the need for a co-signer.

If you still need and find a co-signer, consider planning ahead for unexpected rent trouble by putting some money in a separate savings account for future rent payments. Spending a year paying your rent on time will improve your credit rating, while your co-signer never has to worry about paying rent for two.

Co-signing on any legal agreement like your apartment lease is not a casual favor, and should not be treated as one. As the primary person responsible for paying the rent, you want to ensure that the apartment you’ve selected is one you can afford, barring an unexpected change in your financial status. With that in mind, however, a willing and sympathetic co-signer may allow you to enter into a rental agreement for the apartment that is calling your name.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:08 PM

I emailed Mozart to double-check and you definitely have to have a cosigner if you're a graduate student. Good credit, age, employment/rental history, savings in the bank, etc. None of that matters if you're a student at any level. I emailed a couple of the other management companies as well, but I won't be shocked to hear the same thing.

Old 11-02-2015, 01:13 PM

29 posts, read 25,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by head_start View Post
None of that matters if you're a student at any level.
I'm a grad student and didn't have to cosign for my apartment. However I also have a full-time job. Do you have a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh