Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 10:37 AM

1,519 posts, read 2,674,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonOrkoskey View Post
In downtown there are a few choices (Gold's Gym, River's Club) as well as in the east end (Club One, I think there are a few others). There are big chains like LA Fitness and Planet Fitness within a few miles drive.
The PNC YMCA downtown near Market Square is also really nice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 11:45 AM

121 posts, read 110,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinare View Post
The PNC YMCA downtown near Market Square is also really nice.
Thanks! This looks like a solid option at only $28/mo.

Old 12-29-2015, 12:56 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,600,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYoPro View Post
Thanks! This looks like a solid option at only $28/mo.
Goodjules works out at the YMCA in the Hill District and says it's great. Might be cheaper, too, because it's not Downtown. Something to consider.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
A friend who owned a business on Butler Street went to Celli's. I know nothing else about the place. Celli's Fitness Center | Celli's Fitness Center

Does YoPro mean you're opening a yogurt shop?
I took it to mean "young professional". If he's anything like every other 20-something I know these days who is ten times more intelligent than I am, then he's in the tech sector---maybe working at Apple or Uber, both of which will be employing hundreds in the Strip soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYoPro View Post
Yes, I am turning Art's Tavern into a froyo shoppe.
Assuming you're not being facetious then I wish you the best of luck! I'm just worried about whether you can successfully compete practically beside Klavon's, or if you'll cannibalize each other's customers. I think the "Upper Strip" (28th Street up to Doughboy Square, to me at least) is poised for a major growth spurt in the next 5-10 years. Just drive down Smallman Street between 26th and 24th these days and be immersed in the practical wind tunnel of construction activity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
SCR will be so excited.
Not if it means the death knell for nearby Klavon's. I admittedly don't waddle my now-Christmas cookie-laden arse down the hill to there very often because I've been trying to eat healthier, but I love the atmosphere of that place.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:26 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
Assuming you're not being facetious then I wish you the best of luck! I'm just worried about whether you can successfully compete practically beside Klavon's, or if you'll cannibalize each other's customers.

Not if it means the death knell for nearby Klavon's.
Klavon's sells ice cream, not "fro yo." They make their own, and it's good. I haven't eaten your beloved fro yo since, well, I can't remember when.

Now that you've interpreted "yopro," however, I suspect facetious is exactly what he was being.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:51 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,835 times
I thought the whole point of Klavon's is that their ice cream is from the Penn State Creamery? Though I realize I don't know if that means they make their own using a special PSU recipe, or if some of their ice cream is PSU but not all...?

Always happy to see a gym thread derailed by ice cream...

Old 12-29-2015, 02:08 PM

86 posts, read 96,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RogersParkTransplant View Post
I thought the whole point of Klavon's is that their ice cream is from the Penn State Creamery? Though I realize I don't know if that means they make their own using a special PSU recipe, or if some of their ice cream is PSU but not all...?

I was there about 6 weeks ago and read the PSU Creamery part off their website to my wife. The guy working heard me and said they no longer serve their ice cream but they make their own based on the Creamery recipe.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Don't worry. Yac will be along soon to put us on a diet!

Old 12-29-2015, 02:12 PM

9,150 posts, read 10,891,632 times
Quote:

When the (adult) Klavon children owned and ran Klavon's as an ice cream parlor, they served Hershey's Ice Cream, which was little more than frozen, pastel crapulence. Coupon King is the only person I knew who actually liked it, and even he only wanted to go when he had a coupon.

When the current owners bought the place, they started out serving Penn State Creamery Ice Cream, but switched at some point to making their own. I imagine it's more economical, and it is absolutely delicious. I've never done a blind taste test or anything, but I have felt compelled the last two times I was there to compliment them on the wonderfulness of their ice cream. This most recent time, one of the women told me they were making their own now.

I wonder how h_ likes it. He's the only one I know on c-d who's as particular about ice cream as I am.

Old 12-29-2015, 02:13 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,598,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser412soze View Post
I was there about 6 weeks ago and read the PSU Creamery part off their website to my wife. The guy working heard me and said they no longer serve their ice cream but they make their own based on the Creamery recipe.
AWESOME. That's very good to know...I don't have a problem with Penn State but I still prefer local Pittsburgh products!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh