Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2016, 12:42 PM

8,090 posts, read 6,956,215 times

Advertisements

$375k for a 1br, 1ba condo directly across the street from an emergency room, and two doors down from a halfway house.

543 Aiken 1,*Shadyside,*PA, 15232 | Shadyside Real Estate

This is still Pittsburgh, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2016, 01:01 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
555 Gold Way 5A,*Oakland,*PA, 15213 | Oakland Real Estate

$375,000. 1-BR condo. One of the "Paper Lofts", which front right on busy Bigelow Boulevard at the intersection with North Craig Street.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:16 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,011 times
4518 Modoc Way, Lawrenceville, PA 15201 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

This price doesn't seem all that high for the neighborhood, but the house is junk. It front's to an alley that is literally the access route for the Jersey Chrome company. That alley was probably the best part of the house. The entire thing is a cheap flip. The floors are cheap floating fake wood that bounce when you walk on them, the carpet is the cheapest builder grade available, the walls are all rough coat plaster (and not the expensive kind), and when you try to open some of the cabinets and drawers in both the kitchen and bathroom you can tell they are not plumb as they rub and you need to use force to close them. The back "yard", I knew it would be small, but my cubicle is practically the same size, but only my cubicle isn't surrounded by chain link fences and other peoples old couches and junk.

I get that its cheap for the area, but its also garbage. The neighborhood is filling up with cheap flips. At least some of those horribly high priced units above are well done. I wouldn't trust the electrical or plumbing work in most of these flips in Lawrenceville these days.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:21 PM

14,352 posts, read 17,015,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
4518 Modoc Way, Lawrenceville, PA 15201 - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - realtor.com®

This price doesn't seem all that high for the neighborhood, but the house is junk. It front's to an alley that is literally the access route for the Jersey Chrome company. That alley was probably the best part of the house. The entire thing is a cheap flip. The floors are cheap floating fake wood that bounce when you walk on them, the carpet is the cheapest builder grade available, the walls are all rough coat plaster (and not the expensive kind), and when you try to open some of the cabinets and drawers in both the kitchen and bathroom you can tell they are not plumb as they rub and you need to use force to close them. The back "yard", I knew it would be small, but my cubicle is practically the same size, but only my cubicle isn't surrounded by chain link fences and other peoples old couches and junk.

I get that its cheap for the area, but its also garbage. The neighborhood is filling up with cheap flips. At least some of those horribly high priced units above are well done. I wouldn't trust the electrical or plumbing work in most of these flips in Lawrenceville these days.
The secret is to look for the rare house which was owned by a homeowner and fixed up with quality materials.

It's a shame you weren't looking to relocate back when our house was on the market. It was in that price range, one block away, and a heck of a lot nicer.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:24 PM

1,577 posts, read 1,282,405 times
Quote:

are you familiar with any quality contractors that are doing work in the area?

Old 01-05-2016, 01:36 PM

3,110 posts, read 2,916,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post

I have given up on the area. I can keep my house in Brookline that is 2x the size, 3x the quality, and 1/3 the price. I am however beginning to look for contractors to complete my the project of finishing my basement.

Speaking of unreal housing prices...

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...t/pid_8475826/

After 3 months on the market, they actually increased the price 30k.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:42 PM

3,733 posts, read 5,963,523 times
There was a small 3 BR ranch that came on the market near us on a Shadyside cul-de-sac this summer for $549. I took a walk past it and couldn't believe they were asking that much. It was very nice and all, but not at all big. Ended up being sold for $585 within a month.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:44 PM

3,595 posts, read 3,389,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lettert View Post
There are thousands of quality contractors working in the area, the problem is when building owners try to run a job as a general contractor and they hire crack addicts to do there work.

If these owners will buy a little better quality materials and spend more on installation they maybe able to make more on the back end with a larger asking price and a faster sale.

Old 01-05-2016, 01:53 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
Quote:
Speaking of unreal housing prices...

https://www.coldwellbankerhomes.com/...t/pid_8475826/

After 3 months on the market, they actually increased the price 30k.
Yep. That house is on my block. It is next to two long-vacant houses that are also being flipped. I believe those homes will be listed at $400,000+ each. The East End is gentrifying crazy quickly. If we stay here we'll probably buy in Beltzhoover and then demand a Starbucks open near us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh