Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2008, 05:10 AM

803 posts, read 2,970,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianTH View Post
You might as well surrender to the inevitable and just enjoy it.

In all seriousness, welcome to the region!
Yeah, I suppose so. . . LMAO! - - - Well, it's 7AM and we're on our way!-- See ya' on Tuesday, with (hopefully) a lot of new pics and some good stories to tell!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 06:55 AM

Default Update - - 3/18/2008

So, we got back in last night late, after another wonderful trip to Pittsburgh over the St. Patty's weekend...

Arrived Saturday afternoon, and immediately took the parents to the Strip for walking and shopping, showing them the vast array of shopping stalls and available goods in that one area. Afterwards, we went out by the Robinson Mall to show them THAT huge expanse of shopping Valhalla and grabbed a bite at the Cracker Barrel, before heading back to the hotel to crash.

Sunday, we met our intrepid agent in the snow, and trundled all over the South Side, showing them our own house, as well as many ranch houses they were somewhat enthused by, and it seemed that with each house, their impression of Pittsburgh grew better and better, once they saw how much house they could get for the money... 5 hours later, dinner @ Olive Garden & back to the hotel, but then my gal & I went out with a local friend and hit the Sharp Edge pub, where we enjoyes the beer sampler & a few appetizers, and chatted about our move dates and the whole transition....

Monday, before leaving to return to NYC, I went on an interview and aced it, no doubt!-- They are in the process of doing their background checks and ll, and they expect to make me an offer later this week... keep your fingers crossed for me, kids! - - - Then, a 7 hour drive back to the coast, and passed out after grubbing opn some Chinese food...

Today, we get back in the groove, and start comparing maving rates..... God, I hate this stage of the game. . . . .

Old 03-20-2008, 01:32 PM

Default A few more pics

Here are a few pics I've taken in Pittsburgh as of late. Hope you enjoy them!

Old 03-20-2008, 03:22 PM

6 posts, read 20,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
A quick update:

I just wanted to thank everybody who was so helpful in this thread. We have chosen a house in Dormont, and have sent the paperwork in to the Realtor to submit to the relocation company/finance company.

If everything works out as expected (crosses fingers), we should be Burgh-bound in about 60 days or so!!!

IF ANYONE NEEDS THE NAME OF A GOOD REALTOR IN PITTSBURGH, I'LL BE HAPPY TO GET YOU IN CONTACT WITH THE ONE I USED!--She was very professional and helpful in every aspect of the hunt so far!!!!!

Is she and expert in a specific area or all around greater Pittsburgh?? I looking for a house in Mt Lebanon, Upper St Clair or something around there.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisdmitriev View Post
Is she and expert in a specific area or all around greater Pittsburgh?? I looking for a house in Mt Lebanon, Upper St Clair or something around there.
She handles the entire area, and in fact, has a LOT of nice places in or near the Mt. Leb / South Suburbs....

Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 PM

6 posts, read 20,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
She handles the entire area, and in fact, has a LOT of nice places in or near the Mt. Leb / South Suburbs....

My husband and I are planning to buy in a few months. Can you give me her name, phone or where she works??

Old 03-21-2008, 07:11 AM

I sent you the info in a PM (Direct Message).

Old 03-23-2008, 11:50 AM

6 posts, read 19,149 times
Default Why Dormont?

By Tor,

What is it that you absolutely love about Dormont? I ask because my husband and I are considering a move to PGH and a friend just told us to check out Dormont.....thanks. Congratulations on your move. AnnaJoy

Old 03-23-2008, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaJoy View Post
By Tor,

What is it that you absolutely love about Dormont? I ask because my husband and I are considering a move to PGH and a friend just told us to check out Dormont.....thanks. Congratulations on your move. AnnaJoy
Well, what we found so wonderful about Dormont was as follows:

* CLOSE location to the city center, and easy access to the "T" public Train and the Bus LInes going inbound...

* Small community (under 10,000) with LOW crime rate.

* GREAT SELECTION of housing stock in our price range...

* Highly Rated school district...

* Close enough to everything, but far enough away to avoid what you DON'T want in your neighborhood...

* Quaint little downtown area with shopping, cafe's and other walkable areas.

* Large park and public swimming pool

In short, Dormont was a microcosm of everything we wanted on our "Wish List", and when we visited the area, we found it to be exactly that... "perfect"!!!

Have the agent show you other areas nearby as well, like Mt. Lebanon & Green Tree. . . . . there's alot to like in the area, and it'll all boil down to your individual tastes, as to what will be working best for you...

But if you DO wind up in Dormont, I'll welcome ya', neighbor!!!!!!!

Old 03-26-2008, 08:37 AM

31 posts, read 164,788 times
Default housing in Pittsburgh

It looks like you've found a great house.
I think Dormont is an excellent neighborhood (I live nearby in Mt. Lebanon & my sister is in Dormont).
Congratulations on your move & good luck with the moving companies.
If you need information about homeowners insurance, I'd be happy to help.
Wendy Piquette
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh