Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2016, 04:33 PM

40 posts, read 78,906 times

Advertisements

Hello!

We are considering moving to Pittsburgh from San Diego. Our toddler is recently diagnosed with autism and we've learned that the services in PA are wonderful. Pittsburgh is reported to be a great place for families with a much lower cost of living than basically anywhere in California. We have family in Fox Chapel (but I think we're priced out? $350k SFR estimate) so anywhere in that general vicinity would be nice.

Does anyone have any specific knowledge about schools and ieps? Finding out general school rankings (especially by test scores and income levels) is very easy with a quick google. It has been much harder to get feedback on special education services. We'd like to get some ideas before we actually piece things out and go visiting with any realtors.

And any tips/warnings/suggestions for a San Diegan's culture shock would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2016, 04:47 PM

7,541 posts, read 10,256,408 times
Pittsburgh's Vintage Grand Prix has been done for its inception and has raised millions for autistic individuals at the Allegheny Valley School here in Pittsburgh. The late sportscaster Myron Cope bequeathed a lot of money to them over the years, including before Cope's death. Cope's son is autistic.

As far as moving to Pittsburgh from San Diego, you'll probably need some good coats, gloves and boots.

Old 01-30-2016, 05:33 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
For education advocacy specific to Pittsburgh, connect with the following three agencies...
Arc of greater Pittsburgh
Autism society of Pittsburgh
Autism link.com

Those agencies might offer other supports that will broaden your understanding of autism services and schools in Pittsburgh.

For autism resources in Pittsburgh check out allegheny county family resource guide.org

For excellent all purpose education and legal rights regarding special Ed and special needs, wrightslaw is a great resource

Pittsburgh is my hometown and I'm partial to the area. Eds and meds and friendly people. Lots of green space. Hearty Eastern European food. No beach or perfect weather like San Diego though. In fact, grey skies might be one of your biggest adjustments - it can be a bummer if you're sensitive to it. Besides that Pittsburgh is terrific. are you moving solely for autism services?

Old 01-30-2016, 07:07 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,964,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoldlemonade View Post
Hello!

We are considering moving to Pittsburgh from San Diego. Our toddler is recently diagnosed with autism and we've learned that the services in PA are wonderful. Pittsburgh is reported to be a great place for families with a much lower cost of living than basically anywhere in California. We have family in Fox Chapel (but I think we're priced out? $350k SFR estimate) so anywhere in that general vicinity would be nice.

Does anyone have any specific knowledge about schools and ieps? Finding out general school rankings (especially by test scores and income levels) is very easy with a quick google. It has been much harder to get feedback on special education services. We'd like to get some ideas before we actually piece things out and go visiting with any realtors.

And any tips/warnings/suggestions for a San Diegan's culture shock would be appreciated.
The culture shock will certainly be on the plus side for Pittsburgh. CA in general is a mess and way too expensive. Also the schools out there aren't very good unless you are super rich. A friend of mine works in Hollywood and commutes from Pittsburgh because he said he wouldn't want to subject his children to CA. Can't blame him. He can afford to live wherever he wants believe me, but chose Pittsburgh to raise a family.

It is colder here, but to be honest, it is getting warmer and warmer and the weather in general is really quite good here. Sure So Cal has some of the best weather in the US, but it is getting unstable out that way.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:21 PM

40 posts, read 78,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toosie View Post
For education advocacy specific to Pittsburgh, connect with the following three agencies...
Arc of greater Pittsburgh
Autism society of Pittsburgh
Autism link.com

Those agencies might offer other supports that will broaden your understanding of autism services and schools in Pittsburgh.

For autism resources in Pittsburgh check out allegheny county family resource guide.org

For excellent all purpose education and legal rights regarding special Ed and special needs, wrightslaw is a great resource

Pittsburgh is my hometown and I'm partial to the area. Eds and meds and friendly people. Lots of green space. Hearty Eastern European food. No beach or perfect weather like San Diego though. In fact, grey skies might be one of your biggest adjustments - it can be a bummer if you're sensitive to it. Besides that Pittsburgh is terrific. are you moving solely for autism services?
Thank you!

We are moving solely for autism services but have one lone family member out here so it isnt so random. PA allows you to receive Medicaid with this medical diagnosis, without income cut offs. That alone is a huge help as we are paying out of pocket right now for half of our therapies. At some point the benefits of sunny SD do not outweigh the costs. If we were to stay in our area, which has the best schools and reputation for ieps, we are looking at a lifetime of renting or being house-poor. Most families are two incomes but with our circumstances, we need someone home with our kid.

San Diego is great in so many ways and I appreciate the diversity (we are Asian-American) but it is VERY image conscious and some communities are very unwelcoming to those that somehow do not uphold the material trappings of "success" (big house, designer clothes etc). Now that we are neck deep in the special needs world, this kind of subculture is like...the last thing I want to deal with.

The next step is to convince my spouse that this move will be worth it. Some hesitation about weather, different culture, access to burritos etc.

Old 01-30-2016, 08:40 PM
gg

Quote:
Thank you!

We are moving solely for autism services but have one lone family member out here so it isnt so random. PA allows you to receive Medicaid with this medical diagnosis, without income cut offs. That alone is a huge help as we are paying out of pocket right now for half of our therapies. At some point the benefits of sunny SD do not outweigh the costs. If we were to stay in our area, which has the best schools and reputation for ieps, we are looking at a lifetime of renting or being house-poor. Most families are two incomes but with our circumstances, we need someone home with our kid.

San Diego is great in so many ways and I appreciate the diversity (we are Asian-American) but it is VERY image conscious and some communities are very unwelcoming to those that somehow do not uphold the material trappings of "success" (big house, designer clothes etc). Now that we are neck deep in the special needs world, this kind of subculture is like...the last thing I want to deal with.

The next step is to convince my spouse that this move will be worth it. Some hesitation about weather, different culture, access to burritos etc.
There is a huge Asian community here in Pittsburgh, due to CMU for the most part. Heck even the Fox Chapel School that you mentioned, which is the most diverse school district in the Pittsburgh area is almost 28% Asian. As far as a burrito goes, you are totally out of luck, BUT do what I do and make your own. It is fun and good.

Old 01-30-2016, 09:51 PM

1,304 posts, read 3,034,613 times
Pine-Richland has been long considered one of the best school districts in our region, in terms of the delivery of services to children with special needs. For a number of years, the district was in the forefront in their efforts to promote inclusive education in the least restrictive environment for all children. It is a more affluent school district in the northern Pittsburgh suburbs and is a one of the fastest growing, as well. Many parents with children having special needs (including those children diagnosed with needs on the autistic spectrum) have chosen to relocate to this specific district from out of area, as their reputation is well-regarded and noted. Test scores are generally in the upper 10% in our region.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:06 PM
gg

Keep in mind the OP is coming from San Diego, so most districts around here will be wildly better than what they have out in that dump of an area. You would have to go private schools out there. Here you can actually have a great public school.

Old 01-31-2016, 08:24 AM

18,950 posts, read 11,588,814 times
Quote:
Thank you!

When I asked about your motivation for the move, it wasn't a judgement but for clarification; I was thinking of other places that might meet your needs. All the ones I can think of are less attractive when it comes to finances, social/cultural though ( in my opinion).

It's quite likely you'll explore ABA therapy (applied behavioral analysis). If so, you might want to look into the following...
1. Will your health insurance cover it
2. Does Medicaid cover it and is there a waiting list for Medicaid
3. Are you eligible for Medicaid waiver programs, without a waiting list, that cover it and that you can use in conjunction with Medicaid
4. Do schools either provide ABA or permit therapists in based on an IEP

Pittsburgh is less diverse and less image conscious than SD. Diversity is just different here - hard to explain. It's one of the warmest, friendliest cities I've lived in or visited...but it's also oddly segregated with distinct pockets of nationality, socio-economic, Etc. overall it's very easy to fit in but in a different way than in San Diego - in some ways better; lots of community feeling here. You'll also probably find it less fit and less Eco than SD - although there are plenty of active people - physically and socially/culturally/politically.

You might not find cal-mex to meet your standards.

Old 02-01-2016, 07:26 AM

8 posts, read 8,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retiredcoach View Post
Pine-Richland has been long considered one of the best school districts in our region, in terms of the delivery of services to children with special needs. For a number of years, the district was in the forefront in their efforts to promote inclusive education in the least restrictive environment for all children. It is a more affluent school district in the northern Pittsburgh suburbs and is a one of the fastest growing, as well. Many parents with children having special needs (including those children diagnosed with needs on the autistic spectrum) have chosen to relocate to this specific district from out of area, as their reputation is well-regarded and noted. Test scores are generally in the upper 10% in our region.
I have some relatives in Pine Richland with a child on the autism spectrum. They're very satisfied with the school district's services. So I can second this recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh