Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 02:26 AM

492 posts, read 2,372,151 times

Advertisements

Ok found some more...

This one is from a lookout along Grandview Ave near the Mon Incline.

From the Ohio River looking east.

North Shore looking south.

From one of the Yellow Bridges. Don't remember the name.

From the Strip.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2008, 02:39 AM

492 posts, read 2,372,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by By~Tor View Post
Outstanding idea!-- Maybe one of our amateur photogs could post a few pics of the skyline, as seen from areas mentioned in this thread....

I got a few up here. I hope I start a trend. There are some really cool views from the South Side Slopes that I've seen. Maybe someone will post some photos from there. hint hint

Old 02-14-2008, 09:28 AM

2,039 posts, read 6,323,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardmanite View Post
Ok found some more...

This one is from a lookout along Grandview Ave near the Mon Incline.

From the Ohio River looking east.

North Shore looking south.

From one of the Yellow Bridges. Don't remember the name.

From the Strip.

The Ohio river one is my favorite. THe strip is ugly, I don't understand why people think it's so great.....

Old 02-14-2008, 10:06 AM

675 posts, read 2,098,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
THe strip is ugly, I don't understand why people think it's so great.....
Even though this is probably not the best thread for this discussion, I will respond anyway. The strip is not known for its aesthetic appeal, its views, or its architecture. It is known for one thing, FOOD baby! If you've never been to the strip early on a Saturday or Sunday morning, you are missing out.

Check out this video.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallacus View Post
Even though this is probably not the best thread for this discussion, I will respond anyway. The strip is not known for its aesthetic appeal, its views, or its architecture. It is known for one thing, FOOD baby! If you've never been to the strip early on a Saturday or Sunday morning, you are missing out.

Check out this video.
Oh I've been before, I even went again just to be sure. I have to tell you, it was so dirty, we couldn't eat a thing there. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't like dirt and garbage in my food.....

Old 02-14-2008, 02:09 PM

439 posts, read 1,474,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post
Oh I've been before, I even went again just to be sure. I have to tell you, it was so dirty, we couldn't eat a thing there. I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I don't like dirt and garbage in my food.....
I think it is just you

While the strip might not be the cleanest neighborhood, your food would not have had garbage and dirt in it.

I have worked at a software company down here for 12 years and eat here every day. None of the food is dirty unless you dropped it on the ground and picked it up again to eat!

Old 02-15-2008, 09:40 AM

149 posts, read 608,415 times
Quote:

Check out this video.

Thank you so much Gallacus! There is nothing remotely like that in the entire state of Minnesota! Next trip home, I'm spending a day in the Strip District! (I'll be sure to go hungry so I can enjoy a lot!)

Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raynist View Post
I think it is just you

While the strip might not be the cleanest neighborhood, your food would not have had garbage and dirt in it.

I have worked at a software company down here for 12 years and eat here every day. None of the food is dirty unless you dropped it on the ground and picked it up again to eat!
Geez, I didn't mean it literally. But if I am going to be honest, that area is really dirty looking and completely gross. There were like, 3 nice shops there and the food stores - they look like they haven't been updated or swept in a hundred years. I'm sorry, downtown has some really nice spots, but food or not -- the strip district is old, grungy and gross.

Old 02-24-2008, 01:34 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times
Very nice map. You have a lot of obscure overlooks covered.

Here's some more obscure vantage points I photographed.

Upland Ave. - Homewood - rare view of both the Oakland and Downtown skylines

can't remember the name of the street... but it's just to the north of Mt. Oliver

Brunot Ave. - Sheraden

Flagstaff Hill - Schenley Park - another Oakland plus Downtown at once view

Bigbee St. - Mt. Washington

31st St. Bridge

Frank Curto Park - Bigelow Blvd

Parking Garage @ SouthSide Works

just a few of the countless views here in PGH

Old 08-24-2008, 09:28 PM

5 posts, read 39,142 times
Quote:
Everyone knows of Mt. Washington's overlooks and the panoramic vistas they afford, but I wanted to compile a list of all of the spots in Pittsburgh where one can admire the beauty of the city's magnificent skyline. So far, I have 10 great places to take in the view, but I'd like to tap everyone's knowledge to get maybe a couple more, and to share with everyone what I have found so far.

I've put together a little map of all of the viewpoints I know of. If anyone gives me any more, I will add them to the list (and the map)

Here is the current list:

- Mt. Washington's Grandview Ave.
- Grandview Park Overlook
- West End Overlook
- St. Paul's Monestary parking lot (Southside)
- Fineview Overlook
- St. John's Lutheran Cemetary (Spring Hill)
- Crawford Ave. above the Civic Arena
- North Shore Riverfront Park
- Schenley Park Overlook
- End of Forrester St. (Greenfield)

I hope to add pictures from all of these views in time.
Could you send me a copy of that map you have marking the overlooks. It'd help me in my work on Mt. Washington.
Thanks--and I'll let you know if I make any great discoveries!
Lisa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh